Cricket Player Manager
Page 52 of 273 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I've always thought of Taylor as a T20 player and a test player. Doesn't have a middle gear to turn over the strike in ODIs. I think it was this innings from 2009 Champions Trophy that epitomised it for me. Just. Could. Not. Score. Singles. He's really best in ODIs when comes in later and can treat it like a T20. I've thought at times he should bat 6 tbh.

Edit: Still has improved as an ODI player as average of 36 attests.
    I know it's a long time ago now, but when Taylor first came into the Black Caps he was arguably the best 50-over player we had ever seen in NZ. Had a terrific record. On the other hand, his FC record was only ok, hence it took another 18 months before he got picked for tests. I guess I've always perceived him as a good 50-over player even if the ODI performances haven't shown it. However, his performances in international T20 have been even worse in comparison to how he kills it in domestic T20.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Yes true, right back at the start of his international career he did seem like more an ODI option. Decent average but not brilliant SR. Combine Taylor with other similar players and can see why we get bogged down in the middle overs sometimes. I'm sure I'll cop flak for this but the sort of Hamish Marshall-like player who could score singles and 2s at a run-a-ball is seriously missing from our ODI middle order. He did do this a few times before becoming ****.

I can't explain his poor T20 international record compared to IPL - seems like an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Yes true, right back at the start of his international career he did seem like more an ODI option. Decent average but not brilliant SR. Combine Taylor with other similar players and can see why we get bogged down in the middle overs sometimes. I'm sure I'll cop flak for this but the sort of Hamish Marshall-like player who could score singles and 2s at a run-a-ball is seriously missing from our ODI middle order. He did do this a few times before becoming ****.
    Yep; most of your players are very reliant on boundaries to score quickly. That's fine at the top of the innings or even really late in the innings (providing the batsman also has power and the ability to play lofted strokes as a power hitter) but in the middle you could really use someone who scored at a strike rate of 90 or so just by minimising dot balls. Hamish Marshall in the short period he was actually good at cricket is a perfect example.

That's why I'm so keen on Ryder to move to the middle order. Yeah he's not very quick between the wickets and yeah he seems to have converted himself into somewhat of a big filthy slogger lately for some reason but when he's batting well he's the best in the country at effortless scoring singles off good deliveries.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 24-02-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    That's why I'm so keen on Ryder to move to the middle order. Yeah he's not very quick between the wickets and yeah he seems to have converted himself into somewhat a big filthy slogger lately for some reason but when he's batting well he's the best in the country and effortless scoring singles off good deliveries.
    Yes am quietly hopeful thought not holding my breath that he will play this role.

Predictions: After the débâcle of the last T20, we need to win this match or else South Africa will run away with the ODI series and win the tests comfortably.

NZ bating first.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Batting first gun. I feel more comfortable chasing but hopefully we put up a decent score.

Pitch looks a good'un.

Where's the crowd at?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Where's the crowd at?
    Yeah, the rugby is only later for the Wellington faithful.

Yeah, it's a disappointing turnout so far. Looks like only a couple of thousand.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    wtf? A perfect Saturday afternoon against top class opposition and we get the smallest crowd of the season, including all of the Zimbabwe games?

GAGF Wellington ****s

Saturday sport i guess

My brother plays club cricket in Wellington - of course they have scheduled matches for today so he can't go to the ODI.

I have to disagree with Richards on that. It was a clear wide. The batsman didn't move out of his stance at all.

SA generous with the extras so far

Thread Information