• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Brownlie out of the first test and they're talking about Ryder as the obvious replacement (which he is, though another hair-brained ODI innings might make the selectors at least think twice).
I wonder who'd be next in the line after Ryder. Probably Nicol to bat 3 (as much as his Plunket Shield performances in the last couple of seasons haven't really justified it all) with Williamson at 5.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** the next 15-16 months is insane for us
schedule-wise. We need depth to get through this:

South Africa- 3 tests (H)
West Indies- 3 tests (A)
India- 3 tests (A)
Sri Lanka- 2 tests (A)
South Africa- 2 tests (A)
England- 3 tests (H)
England- 2 tests (A)
------------------------ June 2013
= 18 tests
+18 ODIs and six T20s.
Hmm could see New Zealand struggling to win any of those series although they're short enough that if NZ's bowling wins a Test (which it probably will do) that it might be enough to take the series. The tour to West Indies will be interesting, should tell us a fair bit about both teams.

Anyway if NZ batsmen want to score centuries they have to substitute quality for random batting (see Ryder and McCullum for instance). Even relatively good random batting (Ryder, not McCullum) is still random.

Mike5181

International Captain
If things don't change drastically we will have a better bowling attack and batting line up than the last time we were there as well.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Comes back to my idea about each bowler having their own ball of their particular brand, make and model with which to bowl with. Just like each batsman has their own bat, each bowler has their own ball. Sponsorship marks and the like. Different weights, different colours etc. etc. Stop letting the batsmen have it all their own way.

EDIT: 16Tins! :wub:

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Comes back to my idea about each bowler having their own ball of their particular brand, make and model with which to bowl with. Just like each batsman has their own bat, each bowler has their own ball. Sponsorship marks and the like. Different weights, different colours etc. etc. Stop letting the batsmen have it all their own way.
You've never shared that one with me before... very interesting idea though.

I'd still rather bats were regulated, boundaries pushed further out and bowlers were allowed more leeway in terms of wides and bouncers. Y'know, like how it used to be. Showing my age, I know, but I found cricket a lot more exciting when a boundary or a six were a lot harder to hit. And when it was possible to run three.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
You've never shared that one with me before... very interesting idea though.

I'd still rather bats were regulated, boundaries pushed further out and bowlers were allowed more leeway in terms of wides and bouncers. Y'know, like how it used to be. Showing my age, I know, but I found cricket a lot more exciting when a boundary or a six were a lot harder to hit. And when it was possible to run three.
Agree, one of my biggest pet peeves is when they bring the ropes in for limited overs cricket, it's just not needed in this day and age where you can almost hit a leading edge for 6, at least make the batsmen earn their runs. It's even more ridiculous when they bring them in on already miniature grounds, the bowlers must be staring to wonder why they bother.

Dick Rockett

now they have new balls at either end at the start of an ODer
Hmm, they tried that in the early 90s and discarded the idea pretty quick because teams were being skittled too easily. Clearly there's a willingness to accept the scales being tipped too far in favour of the bat but not the other way around.

Dick Rockett

Agree, one of my biggest pet peeves is when they bring the ropes in for limited overs cricket
It's for safety, don't you know. After we had those boundary fence-related deaths and all that.

My original proposal was in this thread.
Haha, I know that was tongue in cheek, but the rampant consumerism aspect is pretty close to the truth. A large chunk of cricket fans get alienated because they aren't all members of the "white males aged 15-34" demographic, or whatever bunch of retards it is that corporates want to shill their crap to.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with him - been saying the same thing for years. I used to get excited when a batsman top edged because it usually meant he was out. Now it's just six more.

Why don't we quit beating about the bush and just replace bowlers with machines?
I don't know who you are, but I am a big fan.

Ignorant, Johnny come lately fans=want big hits=short boundaries. It won't change, so just bring in Merkin or whatever that machine was that was supposed to mimic Warne before the 05 Ashes.

thierry henry

International Coach
Mills also called the length of the straight boundaries at Eden Park in Auckland "absurd".
Aren't the straight boundaries at Eden Park 68-70 metres, roughly the same as grounds like the MCG and the Gabba?