• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfortunately weather may also have a role to play. Three Tests in mid to late March could be iffy.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
England Tests in 08 were sweet in March, same India 09, same Australia 10 and whilst we weren't in the country in 11, I remember it being pretty decent as well. I wouldn't worry too much about weather, especially if we've got all the crap out the way.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. March has been much better for cricket in recent years than Nov/Dec. There was even talk in the last 12 months of shifting the club cricket season a month later to run from mid-November through to late April. There's been a discernable shift in the season over the last 10 years or so. And it's not as if the weather's been at all flash since Christmas. Zimbabwe have been bloody lucky (or unlucky considering the results?) to get in as much cricket as they have.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Brownlie may be out for the tests (possibility of missing the 1st test at this stage). Cant believe there is now a serious debate between Ryder and Nicol for the number 5 spot.

They must really be fed up with Ryder...

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

You do know you're not allowed a runner in International Cricket any more. That makes Ryder a big risk at the moment.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's only broken down in one test hasn't he.

Injured many times - but unable to run during an inning = one test?

HeathDavisSpeed

More related to his recent track record and there's been at least two Domestic matches this season where he's broken down during the match and thus is unable to bat. Including a 20:20 where he broke down fielding a ball with no particular difficulty associated with it within 2 overs of the start of the match. Imagine if that happened in a Test. You'd be playing with 10 men with the bat for 5 days.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Dude, Ryder has been dropped. The only way he is getting back into the team is if he gets fitter.

I'd rather go with someone like Neil Broom, but that's probably not going to happen. Would probably end up going with either Sam Wells or Kruger van Wyk.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'd rather see James Marshall in the Test team than Colin. In fact, I'd rather see Colin Maiden Oval in the Test team than CdG.

Mike5181

International Captain
For me it should be out of:

Neil Broom- out of form but one of the best first class players not to play test cricket
Daniel Flynn- showed potential and still pretty young. He's been out for a long time and it might be a bit late for him to make a run for the spot.
James Franklin- averages 90+ in the season so far and has international experience. He's in the T20 squad so he's not entirely blacklisted.
Jesse Ryder- depends if he gets through the three PS games before the test match. If he does that might be enough.

Neil Broom was the biggest failure from memory selection-wise. We pick him in ODIs the format he's not overly great at and half of the games he played for us he was basically playing a finisher role so he was destined to fail. He's just out of form at the wrong times which is a shame. Daniel Flynn is much the same with his injury.

I don't think Nicol and Wells should be in the mix for a spot like this. The test match number 5 should be selected from our next best first class batsman.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I can see them just pushing BJ Watling up to 5, and bringing in Kruger van Wyk to keep.

Neil Broom isn't going to be selected, unfortunately. The dumbarse selectors ruined him by picking him in the wrong format, in the wrong role. And never selected him for his best format, even when he was in his best form.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
If Brownlie's out for just the one test, who could really go past the same man we used in the March '04 series for a one-off gig in the middle-order.

The high school relief teacher with two test double centuries. The Port of Napier wharfie with a test 150 at Port Elizabeth. One of our best first-class batsmen of all time! :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Brownlie's out for just the one test, who could really go past the same man we used in the March '04 series for a one-off gig in the middle-order.

The high school relief teacher with two test double centuries. The Port of Napier wharfie with a test 150 at Port Elizabeth. One of our best first-class batsmen of all time! :ph34r:
Best post.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brownlie may be out for the tests (possibility of missing the 1st test at this stage). Cant believe there is now a serious debate between Ryder and Nicol for the number 5 spot.

They must really be fed up with Ryder...
Damn, didn't know Brownlie's injury would keep him out that long.

There are two rounds of domestic FC before the test squad for SA will be named, so hard to predict right now who will put their hand up. Hoping Flynn is fit and scores some runs. Though if Ryder can get through those FC matches without injury that might be enough for him as well.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
For me it should be out of:

Neil Broom- out of form but one of the best first class players not to play test cricket
Daniel Flynn- showed potential and still pretty young. He's been out for a long time and it might be a bit late for him to make a run for the spot.
James Franklin- averages 90+ in the season so far and has international experience. He's in the T20 squad so he's not entirely blacklisted.
Jesse Ryder- depends if he gets through the three PS games before the test match. If he does that might be enough.

Neil Broom was the biggest failure from memory selection-wise. We pick him in ODIs the format he's not overly great at and half of the games he played for us he was basically playing a finisher role so he was destined to fail. He's just out of form at the wrong times which is a shame. Daniel Flynn is much the same with his injury.

I don't think Nicol and Wells should be in the mix for a spot like this. The test match number 5 should be selected from our next best first class batsman.
Good summary - awta. Though KiwiNinja's post on playing both Watling and Van Wyk is the exact sort of confused decision NZ selectors have liked to make in the past.