• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well that was disappointing. Probably the most one-sided NZ defeat I've ever seen at the stadium. You know it's been a bad day when you were probably 50 short of a competitive total.
Maybe 20 more runs and a better bowling effort to defend it. Without Taylor I don't see us scoring 300.

Should have kept NMac bowling at the end instead of Nicol based on the bowling figures.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised so few people are questioning McCullum's decision to bat first considering the history at the ground. To me it almost seemed to be a reaction to the choke when chasing in the last T20

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised so few people are questioning McCullum's decision to bat first considering the history at the ground. To me it almost seemed to be a reaction to the choke when chasing in the last T20
I don't think there is as pronounced a difference as there once was, but I still hate it when we bat first in any ODI.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Damn. Back from Wellington.

I didn't mind McCullum choosing to bat first, what really killed NZ was getting starts and not going on on a wicket that proved tricky early on. McCullum out for 56, Williamson out for 55. de Villiers 100+. du Plessis 60 odd. That was the key to the match. We saw how easy batting got for those two. McCullum's wicket was expecially key, such a lazy shot. That was the difference between a defendable target, and a middle of the road 254.

Briony

International Debutant
Damn. Back from Wellington.

I didn't mind McCullum choosing to bat first, what really killed NZ was getting starts and not going on on a wicket that proved tricky early on. McCullum out for 56, Williamson out for 55. de Villiers 100+. du Plessis 60 odd. That was the key to the match. We saw how easy batting got for those two. McCullum's wicket was expecially key, such a lazy shot. That was the difference between a defendable target, and a middle of the road 254.

But I thought I heard Bazza Richards say maybe at least once that he should have been out long before that!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

_Ed_

He sure did. McCullum rightly had two incorrect decisions against him overturned, and Barry Richards didn't stop moaning for the rest of the innings about some grave injustice that had apparently been done.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
He sure did. McCullum rightly had two incorrect decisions against him overturned, and Barry Richards didn't stop moaning for the rest of the innings about some grave injustice that had apparently been done.
Strange.

A LBW given that was way too high, and a caught behind that never touched the bat. Jeez, McCullum really got one over on the South Africans there.

Poor form.

Those two overturns showed exactly why DRS is necessary.

_Ed_

My favourite bit: "I'm just waiting for him to put the stumps back up when he's bowled."

And funnily enough he had no problem with it when South Africa had a review upheld in their innings.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm a South African and Barry Richards is an absolute cricketing legend but I wanted to put him on mute all morning!

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly New Zealand are going to rest some bowlers for the 2nd ODI with the test series in mind.