• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Flem274*

123/5
I did mention the upgrade in openers - but in general at this stage the 2012 team is just "on paper" as well so we should just be judging by the cachet of their names in 2007 as opposed to how they played. With the exception of Taylor who you pointed out has improved.

What are you predicting for this series 2-1 3-0?
The 2012 side is short on career records, but they're in a much better place right now and have form behind them.

The 2007 side hadn't played any cricket for a long time and it showed.

I'm predicting 3-0 to South Africa. Kallis and co. are bound to hurt our bowlers at least a couple of times and I doubt we have the batting to withstand sustained performance from the South African bowlers.

I think there will be bright spots, maybe even whole days, but we will lose all three games.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The last time you were positive I'm pretty sure something bad happened.

Bet on South Africa Bahnzy. Sacrifice your livelihood and dignity for your country.
It's been working a treat of late. Bet on England to win both of the first two tests against Pakistan, and got rewarded with a couple of fantastic upsets.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The last time you were positive I'm pretty sure something bad happened.

Bet on South Africa Bahnzy. Sacrifice your livelihood and dignity for your country.
I was watching a playoff game in Canada - a fellow kept on bringing us bad luck in the pub, whenever he went to the washroom we scored though. In the end the crowd locked him in the washroom for the 3rd period.

Marius

International Debutant
On paper I would say SA will win.

Unfortunately cricket is played on grass, not paper :-/

Anyway, my SA side would pretty much be the one that did duty in the last Test against SL. So:

Petersen
Smith
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Rudolph
Boucher
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
Tahir

Personally I think its time to put Boucher out to pasture. He is far past his best, and we have a number of guys in FC cricket at home who are pushing for a place in the side. But he is the Test squad, and he is best keeper we are taking over.

I also don't know how Robin Peterson is in the touring party for the Tests.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Our ODI team?
McCullum (wk)
Guptill
Ryder
Taylor (c)
Williamson
Brownlee/Nicol/Ellis
NcCullum
Oram
Bracewell
Mills
Southee/other seamer
Guptill
Nicol
McCullum (wk) (c)
Williamson
Brownlie
Latham
Neesham (yep)
NcCullum
Bracewell
Oram
Mills

Left out:
Taylor - injured
Ryder - not fit enough
Southee - has been poo for a while

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
He's out at least 4 weeks, with basically 4 weeks between his injury and the 1st ODI against South Africa.

I doubt he plays the ODIs (well, I don't want him to), Tests are more important.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Odds on Abdv making a real quick 100 on this tour?

Can't wait to see Philander bowl again.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
What with the Zimbabwe series and ODIs first, we might get a nice bit of confident momentum happening for the Test series. Just checked, and we've only played South Africa 6 times in ODIs in the past 5 years, winning 3 and losing 3. On paper SA's side is stronger, easily, but we've shown we can steal matches out from under them, and while ODI performance shouldn't have too much weight on Test performance, I think if we can get a ODI series win, a Test win and a tied series will be on the cards. I'll go same as Bahnz; 1-1.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Odds on Abdv making a real quick 100 on this tour?

Can't wait to see Philander bowl again
Warming up pretty nicely it seems. Career best taken on the weekend.

Boucher also scored a 100 in the same game. Bouch's first FC 100 in years.

Real shame Zim are getting the best of the "weather". Time RSA tour the rugby season would have started as well and interest in the games in NZ and RSA will drop. Should have toured before Zim if anything.

Quaggas

State Captain
What with the Zimbabwe series and ODIs first, we might get a nice bit of confident momentum happening for the Test series. Just checked, and we've only played South Africa 6 times in ODIs in the past 5 years, winning 3 and losing 3. On paper SA's side is stronger, easily, but we've shown we can steal matches out from under them, and while ODI performance shouldn't have too much weight on Test performance, I think if we can get a ODI series win, a Test win and a tied series will be on the cards. I'll go same as Bahnz; 1-1.
You may be underselling yourself with that kind of prior in ODIs, no? Perhaps we've been stealing them from you guys.....

NZTailender

You may be underselling yourself with that kind of prior in ODIs, no? Perhaps we've been stealing them from you guys.....
Well 2 losses and 1 win came from a series vs. SA while the other two wins came as one offs, in the Champions Trophy and the World Cup. I think in a series setup we'll play differently to a sudden death game.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Well 2 losses and 1 win came from a series vs. SA while the other two wins came as one offs, in the Champions Trophy and the World Cup. I think in a series setup we'll play differently to a sudden death game.
The test series gains additional importance now that England are about to be whitewashed and SA has a chance to go up to No 1 in the test rankings if they whitewash NZ. But I don't think SA would be able to on NZ's own soil.

NZTailender

The test series gains additional importance now that England are about to be whitewashed and SA has a chance to go up to No 1 in the test rankings if they whitewash NZ. But I don't think SA would be able to on NZ's own soil.
I didn't quite realise that, so it may give SA some resolve. I think it will come down to how many NZ players are injured. It will also probably depend on how the newer SA players fare in our conditions. SA last toured in 2004 (ffs) and there are few who toured then, and a few who didn't play NZ when they last toured SA. NZ's side is also quite different, but they all obviously have home experience.

So yeah, with the rankings thing and all, this should be a gun series.