• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Flem274*

123/5
Since there's a bit of confidence (say whaaa?) from CWers in us, I'm willing to do a month long avatar bet that we won't win a test.

I don't think this qualifies as Gambhiring. Look at their attack.:(

Quaggas

State Captain
@Quaggas

On second thoughts I will take your bet straight up. SA to win the series. I was going to make a multi element bet around counting how many centuries and 5 wicket bags but I figure SA will win that as well.

So yes one month - go easy on me if/when you win though.

Cheers
You're on. I lose if series is drawn, provided at least one game is not "significantly" affected by the weather. (reliable sources tell me that you guys live on or in a cloud?)

Edit: We're talking tests only, of course. Yes?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You're on. I lose if series is drawn, provided at least one game is not "significantly" affected by the weather. (reliable sources tell me that you guys live on or in a cloud?)

Edit: We're talking tests only, of course. Yes?
Aotearoa baby.

Yep just tests -

BeeGee

International Captain
It's a pity the Tests are at the end of the tour. Always prefer them at the start before the pajama party.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a pity the Tests are at the end of the tour. Always prefer them at the start before the pajama party.
I always enjoy the ODIs a lot more when I can watch them with an eye on the form, rhythm etc of players ahead of the Test series, especially those on the touring side. When they're an afterthought I don't really care much.

BeeGee

International Captain
New Zealand vs South Africa

Code:
Player		Span		Mat	Inns	Balls	Runs	Wkts	BBI	BBM	Ave	Econ	SR	5	10
CS Martin	2000-2007	10	17	2026	1082	44	6/76	11/180	24.59	3.20	46.0	4	1
JH Kallis	1999-2007	14	22	1719	831	22	3/71	3/26	37.77	2.90	78.1	0	0
Bring it on!!!

(I omitted Steyn's figures due to the small sample size :ph34r:)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I always enjoy the ODIs a lot more when I can watch them with an eye on the form, rhythm etc of players ahead of the Test series, especially those on the touring side. When they're an afterthought I don't really care much.
AWTA. Though at the same time I WANT MY TEST SERIES NOW

flounce

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA. Though at the same time I WANT MY TEST SERIES NOW

flounce
Getting pumped myself

Here is our team last time out in SA

Cumming
Papps
Vincent
Fleming
Styris
Taylor
McCullum
Vettori
Gillespie
O Brien
Martin

Our likely team this time (with apologies to Ryder who will have to force his way back in)

Guptil
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Brownlie
Vettori
BJ
Bracewell
Southee
Boult
Martin

Honestly the old team isn't that bad - I know we have better openers now - but Styris is just as good as Brownlie. Vincent wasn't a bad player and Williamson his counterpart is yet to prove himself consistently.
The bowling looks fine back then apart from gillespie - so our team now is only slightly better in my books - yet we are going into this with guarded optimism and I even made an avatar bet yikes.

Anyways go blackcaps.

Flem274*

123/5
That 2007 side was awful tbh. The team sheet flatters it. Papps and Cumming had no answers, Styris was dire and celebrated the series by retiring, and the gaping holes in Taylor's game were made very evident.

Iain O'Brien was a bit poo, and Gillespie actually performed quite well.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it was Taylor's debut series and at that stage I thought he was very much an ODI player only.

The major thing though was that our batsmen simply had no hope on the bouncy South Africa surfaces (to good bowling of course).

Days of Grace

International Captain
Our ODI team?
McCullum (wk)
Guptill
Ryder
Taylor (c)
Williamson
Brownlee/Nicol/Ellis
NcCullum
Oram
Bracewell
Mills
Southee/other seamer

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That 2007 side was awful tbh. The team sheet flatters it. Papps and Cumming had no answers, Styris was dire and celebrated the series by retiring, and the gaping holes in Taylor's game were made very evident.

Iain O'Brien was a bit poo, and Gillespie actually performed quite well.
I did mention the upgrade in openers - but in general at this stage the 2012 team is just "on paper" as well so we should just be judging by the cachet of their names in 2007 as opposed to how they played. With the exception of Taylor who you pointed out has improved.

What are you predicting for this series 2-1 3-0?