Cricket Player Manager
Page 223 of 273 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 4083

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

  1. #3331
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Would prefer Boult tbh. Wagner on a bad day in a four man attack, assuming Marto retires (hope not) and Gillespie stays, would end very badly.

    You can only really afford one mercurial bowler in a four man attack imo, and even that is pushing it if you have a containing bowler who isn't a big wicket taker as part of that attack Vettori).
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #3332
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Well, since then it's turned out that our bowling is as good as it's ever been so I don't think anyone has or will be saying that for a while.

    Cue "Ronchi will save us"
    Haha yeah.

    Ronchi is someone I genuinely don't want to do well tbh. As a player who already has international caps, his move already ****s over national loyalty and screams opportunist far more than the uncapped and largely raw SA and Aussie players who have come over in years gone by.

    Long may Kruger, Latham, Watling and de Boorder smoke first class runs.

  3. #3333
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Haha yeah.

    Ronchi is someone I genuinely don't want to do well tbh. As a player who already has international caps, his move already ****s over national loyalty and screams opportunist far more than the uncapped and largely raw SA and Aussie players who have come over in years gone by.

    Long may Kruger, Latham, Watling and de Boorder smoke first class runs.
    I view it kind of differently, myself. Ronchi was born in New Zealand and has always been a New Zealander; he has proper New Zealand heritage, he has a Maori tattoo, his team-mates have always considered him as "the Kiwi" and I've always thought of him as having a nationality of "Australia/New Zealand" in my own head. The fact that he chose Australia first and is now moving on to his second choice because he failed isn't really good for the game IMO, but it's better for the game than players with no real ties to their second choice country moving there as adults and gaining eligibility through residency. Van Wyk and Brownlie bother me more than Ronchi; the fact that the former two never played for their first choice countries doesn't change the fact that they were their first choice countries, and if they'd been able to, they would have. The key difference is that they just moved essentially at random while Ronchi at least has proper New Zealand ties before adulthood.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  4. #3334
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I view it kind of differently, myself. Ronchi was born in New Zealand and has always been a New Zealander; he has proper New Zealand heritage, he has a Maori tattoo,.
    Makes me sold on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.


  5. #3335
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I view it kind of differently, myself. Ronchi was born in New Zealand and has always been a New Zealander; he has proper New Zealand heritage, he has a Maori tattoo, his team-mates have always considered him as "the Kiwi" and I've always thought of him as having a nationality of "Australia/New Zealand" in my own head. The fact that he chose Australia first and is now moving on to his second choice because he failed isn't really good for the game IMO, but it's better for the game than players with no real ties to their second choice country moving there as adults and gaining eligibility through residency. Van Wyk and Brownlie bother me more than Ronchi; the fact that the former two never played for their first choice countries doesn't change the fact that they were their first choice countries, and if they'd been able to, they would have. The key difference is that they just moved essentially at random while Ronchi at least has proper New Zealand ties before adulthood.
    Ronchi has international caps. Brownlie, Elliott etc were reasonably young and complete unknowns when they moved. Elliott especially gets cleared of all charges because he was very average for a long time in the Shield and never buggered off to an even easier competition. Iirc even his initial test selection was pretty random.

    Lots of people move to new countries as teenagers/early twenties, so I don't really have too many issues with the others, even if I only warm to them because they play for CD/are lovable/gun it for NZ, but Ronchi has ODI caps for Australia and rather than trying to get back in the Aussie side he's moved over here because it's probably a lot easier (though it could backfire if Haddin gets the flick and Kruger guns it).

    I also really, really don't want to cop the jokes England get.

  6. #3336
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,152
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I had it in my head that it was soon too but looked it up the other day and is actually not til July/August. So we have quite a break after this current series.

    http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/DO..._2011_2020.pdf
    Cheers, hadn't checked the PDF.

  7. #3337
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Ronchi has international caps. Brownlie, Elliott etc were reasonably young and complete unknowns when they moved. Elliott especially gets cleared of all charges because he was very average for a long time in the Shield and never buggered off to an even easier competition. Iirc even his initial test selection was pretty random.

    Lots of people move to new countries as teenagers/early twenties, so I don't really have too many issues with the others, even if I only warm to them because they play for CD/are lovable/gun it for NZ, but Ronchi has ODI caps for Australia and rather than trying to get back in the Aussie side he's moved over here because it's probably a lot easier (though it could backfire if Haddin gets the flick and Kruger guns it).

    I also really, really don't want to cop the jokes England get.
    Brownlie and van Wyk moved for the same reason Ronchi did though; to have a crack at a higher level of cricket than their home system would grant them. That he has international caps is irrelevant IMO; it's the same thing.. only Ronchi actually had ties to New Zealand before he moved. Brownlie and van Wyk would've had international caps too if they were actually good enough to receive them during their time at home. "Moving because it's easier" is precisely what they did too.

    Frankly I never like seeing someone play international cricket for one country when you know they'd have grown up wanting to play for another one, but Ronchi bothers me a lot less than the others who not only moved as adults and for cricketing reasons, but had no ties to the country in the first place.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 21-03-2012 at 04:53 AM.

  8. #3338
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Brownlie and van Wyk moved for the same reason Ronchi did though; to have a crack at a higher level of cricket than their home system would grant them. That he has international caps is irrelevant IMO; it's the same thing.. only Ronchi actually had ties to New Zealand before he moved. Brownlie and van Wyk would've had international caps too if they were actually good enough to receive them during their time at home. "Moving because it's easier" is precisely what they did too.

    Frankly I never like seeing someone play international cricket for one country when you know they'd have grown up wanting to play for another one, but Ronchi bothers me a lot less than the others who not only moved as adults and for cricketing reasons, but had no ties to the country in the first place.
    Not entirely true. Dean Brownlie's father was born in New Zealand that's why he made his first class debut in 2010 and was playing tests by 2011.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 21-03-2012 at 05:06 AM.

  9. #3339
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,152
    ^ Pfft, they all come from the same hemisphere, what are we squabbling about....

  10. #3340
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Not entirely true. Dean Brownlie's father was born in New Zealand that's why he made his first class debut in 2010 and was playing tests by 2011.
    Well Ronchi himself was born in NZ so surely that trumps Brownlie's old man. But they both came to NZ for the same reason; to play cricket at a higher level. Nowt about loyalty to our flag.

    edti: Just realised your point but for me Brownlie and Ronchi are in the same boat. KVW and Elliot are different as they could well have moved for lifestyle reasons and not purely for cricket. Not sure.
    Last edited by Neil Young; 21-03-2012 at 05:09 AM.

  11. #3341
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    One of the South Africans came here for uni iirc, but I'm not sure who.

    Wagner moved because of the quota system apparently.

    But yeah, skimming scarily close to England territory atm with Kruger, Brownlie and Wagner all likely to end up in the same team. All the homegrown players to get their acts together imo.

  12. #3342
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Young View Post
    Well Ronchi himself was born in NZ so surely that trumps Brownlie's old man. But they both came to NZ for the same reason; to play cricket at a higher level. Nowt about loyalty to our flag.

    edti: Just realised your point but for me Brownlie and Ronchi are in the same boat. KVW and Elliot are different as they could well have moved for lifestyle reasons and not purely for cricket. Not sure.
    Yeah, I'm not comparing the two I was just pointing out that he has New Zealand blood in him. I sort of have respect for guys like Neil Wagner. I'm not sure if he has relatives over here or what but to just pack your bags at twenty two and decide to spend most likely the rest of your life in another country is pretty ballsy even if you are faced with limited opportunites in your home country.

    Both Brownlie and Wagner have made significant improvements to their games since coming over here as well.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 21-03-2012 at 05:16 AM.

  13. #3343
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Brownlie must have, since mediocre club cricketers don't suddenly score fifties against the country of their birth on green tops overnight.

    I forgive Brownlie for being Australian somewhat because watching him defy his home country who missed out on him was pretty funny.

    Must have been a late bloomer.

  14. #3344
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I view it kind of differently, myself. Ronchi was born in New Zealand and has always been a New Zealander; he has proper New Zealand heritage, he has a Maori tattoo, his team-mates have always considered him as "the Kiwi" and I've always thought of him as having a nationality of "Australia/New Zealand" in my own head. The fact that he chose Australia first and is now moving on to his second choice because he failed isn't really good for the game IMO, but it's better for the game than players with no real ties to their second choice country moving there as adults and gaining eligibility through residency. Van Wyk and Brownlie bother me more than Ronchi; the fact that the former two never played for their first choice countries doesn't change the fact that they were their first choice countries, and if they'd been able to, they would have. The key difference is that they just moved essentially at random while Ronchi at least has proper New Zealand ties before adulthood.
    I was born in Australia, does that mean I've always been an Australian?

    If Luke Ronchi had always seen himself as a Kiwi he should've moved back here when he was younger, not carved out a 10 year career for himself before jumping ship because he wasn't good enough. Take Daryl Mitchell. He moved over to Australia with his family as a teenager, played all his junior cricket in WA, was ingrained in the system over there, but moved back at 19 because he had no desire in playing for Australia.

    Ronchi's situation annoys me the most, it just shouldn't be allowed to happen IMO. Van Wyk's much the same. I don't really have a problem with either Wagner nor Brownlie. Wagner in that he moved over here fairly young and has been asked on more then one occasion by CSA if he'd like to go back, so it's not a "I'm not good enough for my home country thing" like it is for your Van Wyk's and co.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

  15. #3345
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Brownlie must have, since mediocre club cricketers don't suddenly score fifties against the country of their birth on green tops overnight.
    Or maybe he just slipped through the cracks? A player who wasn't a particularly gifted age group player who then suffered a few major injuries in his early 20's fails to get noticed is hardly an unbelievable story. Not as unbelievable as the other one anyway, club hack who then goes on to play international cricket in less then a year.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Match 39 - Bangladesh v South Africa
    By James in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 20-03-2011, 01:49 PM
  2. Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
    By James in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 24-06-2010, 06:48 AM
  3. India v South Africa Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
  4. South Africa v England Twenty20s
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •