Cricket Player Manager
Page 201 of 273 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 4083

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Anyway... the match is moving along faster than expected but I'd say that was about a par performance by us today. It was yesterday when we all but lost the match. Then today looked like we were back in it, before sliding back to about where we were at the end of yesterday.

This will definitely be enough for Kane Williamson to retain his place and we've seen him get out after a start a few times (like Hobart second innings), but a century would be reaaaaaaaaaaalllly brilliant.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Yep. The path Taylor's lbw took on VirtualEye seemed to be completely devoid of the very obvious swing. Also, somehow it managed to get the impact point wrong. It was outrageous tbh, I honestly think that was missing.
    Yeah, I don't normally argue against technology but in this decision the ball wasn't close to hitting the middle stump like the predicted path showed. It was hitting the outside of leg stump at best. It does raise the question if that one was wrong by that much then how many other decisions are the same.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Yeah no further swing assumed after impact. What the guy on the radio was saying was that if full toss the umpire should suddenly the assume the ball is going to miraculously travel a wicket-to-wicket line. ie. parallel to the path between middle stump at one end and middle stump at the other.

It's just amazing that a commentator who is supposed to know the game can think this.
    Yeah so e.g. a bowler bowling right-arm over comes wide of the crease and hits a right-handed batsman on the full in line with leg-stump. The ball is missing leg by another set of stumps but some people reckon it's out. An unbelievably common misunderstanding.
    Last edited by thierry henry; 16-03-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Martin Guptill against real teams: 18 matches, 788 @ 23.17, 5 fifties, 0 hundreds

No better than Bell, Papps etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Definitely think we wrote off the player's complaints of the tracking system a bit too lightly, this one is dodgy. Is it the same company as with the Hobart test? Definitely a few shockers in that one.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 16-03-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Martin Guptill against real teams: 18 matches, 788 @ 23.17, 5 fifties, 0 hundreds

And Papps averaged 43 against teams that weren't South Africa.

(that may or may not have consisted of just one Test)

Seriously though I don't think New Zealand got the best out of Papps; could've been a good even if inconsistent opener for a few years in his prime, but he spent his prime not getting picked, and he spent his time in the side being thrown to the wolves in South Africa while out of form. Cumming was a bit unfortunate as well in that he spent the first half of his domestic career being only slightly above average and was thrust into the Test side during that period. He hit his peak after being discarded but had been blacklisted by then due to being selected when he wasn't that good. Bell IMO was just frankly too flawed technically, but something (not something great, but something) could've been made of Papps and Cumming with better management.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Haven't seen the Taylor LBW, but by most accounts here the eagle-eye ****ed up?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Swung in a fair bit, hit him in front of leg, apparently somehow smashing full on into the inside half of leg stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

It's all the players included in the "etc" that is so sad...

His head isn't still enough and his bat isn't straight enough. He's never scored big runs at first class level, so it really shouldn't be a shock that he can't hack it against the top sides. Now that he's no longer the go-to back-up spinner, he's in the side for his fielding.

Oh, and the lack of sensible alternatives.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Why no night watchman.
    Vettori had an lbw shout against him too. I do believe in nightwatchman and we should have used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Vettori had an lbw shout against him too. I do believe in nightwatchman and we should have used one.
    Next question is who would you pick? None of the bottom four look like ideal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    Next question is who would you pick? None of the bottom four look like ideal candidates.
    Yes, this is true. Bracewell would be ideal but at #8 he's too important in his regular position, and bottom three don't really have the defensive techniques to be successful in the role.

The only NZ batsman who looks like he could do a job as night watchman is van Wyk. But the only time you would do that is if you were only 1 down close to the end of play.

I hate night watchman, why not have one just before lunch or tea? What's the diff?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    The only NZ batsman who looks like he could do a job as night watchman is van Wyk. But the only time you would do that is if you were only 1 down close to the end of play.

I hate night watchman, why not have one just before lunch or tea? What's the diff?
    Good criticism. The only answer I have is that it hurts team psychologically more to go into the next day having lost an extra (important) player compared to losing someone before lunch.

Plus I think batsman are more nervous before stumps so more chance of a wicket - I am making this last reason up.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Does anyone else reckon it looks like Williamson is using one of those old $40 Kashmir willow bats (that's what I used to have in the mid-90s anyway) because it's so light coloured?
    TH, thats expensive. We get Kashmir Willows for $20 here in India

I used to bat with it as a kid...
    CricZo XI - 3 Draft Winner

Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
    Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
    The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow

Thread Information