• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So do we bat for a draw and keep South Africa out there for two and a bit days, or do we declare after the follow on has been reached at some point?

Or do we collapse and lose by an innings?
The only way we could get within range of a victory here would be if Smith gave us very generous declaration. If I was Smith and NZ declared just after passing the follow on I'd score enough to make the chase all but impossible and then unleash the pace attack to try knock NZ over in 40-50 overs.

So basically I think declaring is pointless. Rather than hoping for some stupidity from Smith I'd much rather we managed to bat til end of first session tomorrow, thus saving the match. And then we can give our bowlers a crack at the incredibly unlikely task of bowling SA out in 30 overs - it won't happen but it would be worth some respect to even try.

Meanwhile back in reality we are probably two wickets from all out so I wouldn't take the follow on for granted yet.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dismissed batsmen's scores:

EDIT: 30

*sigh*

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
50 wickets for Philander. Amazing.

Another fairly dismal effort with the bat at international level from Bracewell.

Flem274*

123/5
50 wickets for Philander. Amazing.

Another fairly dismal effort with the bat at international level from Bracewell.
Might be worth letting him bat at 10/11 and concentrate on his bowling.

CGAF about his batting if he becomes a world class bowler tbh.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh good god. Taylor better bloody come out to bat IMO. Show these guys a bit of guts and determination. This and Wellington playing like imbiciles really putting a dampener on my day here.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh ffs, you see, this is why we shouldn't bother stacking the team with "batsmen." We've provided the batting every opportunity of passing the follow on on a flat pitch and the ****s are still going to bottle it at the final hurdle.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh ffs, you see, this is why we shouldn't bother stacking the team with "batsmen." We've provided the batting every opportunity of passing the follow on on a flat pitch and the ****s are still going to bottle it at the final hurdle.
Yep. Taylor needs to do a Malcolm Marshall here and come out and swashbuckle one handed. Good luck with that.

Flem274*

123/5
de Lange should be in strife with his captain. You bowl 150kph off half a step ffs. Bowl the fastest yorker you can and Martin won't stop it/