• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Despite knowing we're going to get smoked in this series, the summer has been a success in terms of finding test standard players.

I'd say we won this day as well. We're still ****ed though. If we can win the next two days we just might make a game of it.
I'd agree with the first part more if I didn't get such a strong impression that we're going to be landed with the "three seamers and Dan" plan again for a while.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, 6 for 113 was some performance from Gillespie considering the score was 474/9. Really makes PEWS' call leading into this test to play Boult ahead of him (assuming a 3 seamer attack) all the more nonsensical.

Happy the way the openers played and nice to see that Philander does actually look human on a flat pitch where there's not much swing around.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd agree with the first part more if I didn't get such a strong impression that we're going to be landed with the "three seamers and Dan" plan again for a while.
Just quietly I think people are starting to notice his lack of wickets.

But it all depends on the results. If we do well next season his 0/40s and 2/60s will be seen as pressure builders for the other bowlers (and they will be right imo - he does make sure there are no easy runs, even if he isn't a threatening bowler), but if we're struggling to bowl sides out then two things will happen;

-Calls for MOAR farst bowlers!
-Vettori's 0fers will get scrutinised

So it's a wait and see.

We're touring the Windies and Bangladesh though, and they're two sides he normally does well against, so I think he will be fine for a while yet.

Flem274*

123/5
Wow, 6 for 113 was some performance from Gillespie considering the score was 474/9. Really makes PEWS' call leading into this test to play Boult ahead of him (assuming a 3 seamer attack) all the more nonsensical.

Happy the way the openers played and nice to see that Philander does actually look human on a flat pitch where there's not much swing around.
Would love it if Gillespie could be consistently good.

Not holding my breath, but it would be awesome. Excellent reward for a big effort today.

Flem274*

123/5
Just looked, and next season we have;

July-Aug-3 tests in the West Indies
Aug-Sep-3 tests in India
Nov-Dec-2 tests in Sri Lanka
Dec-Jan-2 tests in South Africa
Feb-Mar-3 tests against England at home

**** that's an awesome schedule. The series against the Windies will be ****ing awesome. Two really close sides. India, Sri Lanka and South Africa should beat us on their home turf though and England should beat us comfortably.

We will learn a lot though, and to compete in the subcontinent our quicks need to go from promising to world class. The batsman need to stop being ****s, but they've needed to do that since 2008.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
will read the thread later and make more comments - but just an observation from the ground. Martin was bowling before lunch - and towards the end of the lunch break he came out by himself with a trainer and did ten minutes of bowling to warm up for his spell after lunch. I thought at the time boy he is a keener - the game is out of reach - and he should already be warm because he was just bowling before lunch.
So what happens - he takes two quick wickets after lunch and was good value for them. Quality professional.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
will read the thread later and make more comments - but just an observation from the ground. Martin was bowling before lunch - and towards the end of the lunch break he came out by himself with a trainer and did ten minutes of bowling to warm up for his spell after lunch. I thought at the time boy he is a keener - the game is out of reach - and he should already be warm because he was just bowling before lunch.
So what happens - he takes two quick wickets after lunch and was good value for them. Quality professional.
He was doing the same in the tea break, and didn't even get a bowl after tea.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with your team here and I would put Franklin in that all rounder spot. He showed he was comfortable facing the extra pace of the RSA bowlers and has an excellent average in domestic cricket this season.

We missed a guy like him to do the donkey work into the wind yesterday. We had a guy like Gillespie building pressure from one end, but it was all being undone by vettori at the other end.
Thanks for agreeing though if Guptil ton's up here will have to rethink things again.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Right - caught up with all the posts. Not too much conversation on SA's decision to not declare earlier.

I guess because they lost Amla they thought if they left too much time in the game that they could actually lose. Which is a bit negative in my opinion. I back NZ to last two days in two innings.
If they had've declared just after lunch they (SA) would have been in a better position to win.

Meridio

International Regular
Went down to the Basin after lunch today. Got to say that Vettori's bowling looked as innocuous live as it has been looking on tv. Morkel looked the quickest of the SA bowlers to me; probably looked the most dangerous too. Also, Flynn still looks a bit suspect against bouncers - leaves the periscope up when he ducks.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Went down to the Basin after lunch today. Got to say that Vettori's bowling looked as innocuous live as it has been looking on tv. Morkel looked the quickest of the SA bowlers to me; probably looked the most dangerous too. Also, Flynn still looks a bit suspect against bouncers - leaves the periscope up when he ducks.
Basin was chokka after lunch.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would love it if Gillespie could be consistently good.

Not holding my breath, but it would be awesome. Excellent reward for a big effort today.
I think the bigger worry for him is being consistently fit. He's had so many injuries in the past few years that I'm amazed he's come back as well as he has.

Mike5181

International Captain
Real happy with Gillespie's performance and Daniel Flynn looked quite good against a really dangerous bowling attack.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still a couple of days to go, but I'm going to tempt fate by putting up my team of the series now:

Petersen
Smith
Amla
Kallis
AB
Rudolph
Boucher
Steyn
Philander
Morkel
Gillespie

Hmmmmmmm...

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Still a couple of days to go, but I'm going to tempt fate by putting up my team of the series now:

Petersen
Smith
Amla
Kallis
AB
Rudolph
Boucher
Steyn
Philander
Morkel
Gillespie

Hmmmmmmm...