• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think part of my aversion to the three seamer approach, apart from that Vettori is the othe bowler, is that I think Gillespie is going to seriously struggle. I'd love him to prove me wrong but I just don't think he does enough with the ball, and we all know he will be erratic. It also bothers me that he doesn't deliver the ball from the highest point of his action and, as he is not tall either, doesn't generate much bounce. He seems a likable guy and I love his attitude, but hrrmmmm. Prove me wrong Mark.

So we potentially just end up with a bowling attack of Bracewell and Martin only.

Talk of replacing Guptill with Flynn and fitting Brownlie in with four seamers is all very well, but the focus of Taylor/Wright's ire seems very much to be the number 8 batting spot rather than anything else.

On Bracewell's batting, it's not going to be fun but I think he has to keep trying to bat the way he is - ie like a proper batsman, even if he continues to be only good enough to edge a decent ball to slips for a while. The ability is there and results will come eventually, initially against the weaker international attacks. The worst thing he can do is give up and just try to slog a quick 20 every innings. This is the Tim Southee approach and will mean his batting goes nowhere.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know Gillespie took five in the last match and I backed his selection over Arnel (even if not Boult) but if New Zealand go back to a three-man seam attack plus Vettori then I really think Boult has to play ahead of him. A fit, in form Gillespie is a great asset for New Zealand to have in a four man seam attack as he can just be used as a strike bowler in short bursts and rotated out of the attack if he's having a bad day, but with a three-man seam attack brings greater responsibility on each bowler and I don't think Gillespie is really versatile or consistent enough to play a holding, pressure-building role if need be.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I know Gillespie took five in the last match and I backed his selection over Arnel (even if not Boult) but if New Zealand go back to a three-man seam attack plus Vettori then I really think Boult has to play ahead of him. A fit, in form Gillespie is a great asset for New Zealand to have in a four man seam attack as he can just be used as a strike bowler in short bursts and rotated out of the attack if he's having a bad day, but with a three-man seam attack brings greater responsibility on each bowler and I don't think Gillespie is really versatile or consistent enough to play a holding, pressure-building role if need be.
Brownlie obv.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Its an interesting question -whether you should go for a steady eddie bowler or a highly volatile one. I think if we want to fluke a win - which to be fair to New Zealand we are the underdog here that you might as well roll the dice. Boult would surprise me greatly if he took a 5 wicket bag even though he is considerably better than Arnel. If we were playing against an even match for us like West Indies then you may want to be more conservative/sensible.

You could use my argument to make a case for 5 bowlers since that it is the ultimate rolling of the dice. But unless McCullum opens and we drop Gupfail then we need 6 bats.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dicko-like logic tbh. We're not the Windies of the 80s. It would be absolute madness to suddenly drop the guy who just dismantled a quality South African middle-order just a week ago. I agree that Boult has plenty of promise, but he's hardly looked like ripping through a quality international line-up as Gillespie has just done.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wagner looks oversexed, would explain a lot tbh.

Compare and contrast his lethargy in Dunedin now to Q'town the same time last year, when he was getting reverse on the 6pm news.

Meridio

International Regular
All the previews etc seem to be treating it as a given that we'll play six batsmen, so watch as we do something stupid like selecting Ellis instead.

Anyway, it was very slightly spitting on the way to work this morning but the sun was actually starting to come out. Still a heavy feeling atmosphere though and it looks like there was quite a lot of rain overnight, so would be surprised if we start on time.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, I'm looking out the window now and it's raining quite steadily. Look out the window on the other side of the office though and it's quite bright.

Howsie

International Captain
Heh, the drainage is so bad at the Basin that even if it didn't rain today I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any play in. No play today would be my bet.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Stupid Wellington weather. The teams and groundstaff should be primed for guerilla cricket in 15-30 minute bursts between the showers.

Assuming we do play the stacked batting lineup it makes sense to bat first unless the pitch is really green.