• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Flem274*

123/5
Brownlie just got a six ball duck, and I'm not sure when he leaves for Wellington so he could be in a spot of bother for making the team.

SeamUp

International Coach
So much irony in this sentence it must be intentional.
Why should it be? I haven't spoken up South Africa or claimed to be number 1 in the world. Clearly hurt that English fella above what Kane said and then slags off a good young talent making his way in the game. He is entitled to make the comment he did.

Anyways lets get back to this series between NZL and SAF. Hopefully the Wellington test match isn't rain effected and we can see a bit of bounce and a touch more pace but the rain may not help that.

SeamUp

International Coach
As for South Africa I wonder if they will give any thought into dropping Tahir and playing de Lange at the Basin. Downwind, bowling 150k+, he could potentially help South Africa wrap the test up inside two days.
Nah mate, gone are the days of South Africa going into a test match without a spinner.

They're giving Tahir every opportunity he can get ahead of the England tour. Smith seemed pretty happy so far in what he has done and the pitches he has played on have turned slowly and if he got the chance to step up for the team when conditions require, hopefully he can do it.

Not so sure who will be an into the wind bowler, I would expect Kallis to be one but he won't bowl many overs.

Flem274*

123/5
Tipping Gillespie and Martin for blinders. Martin loves the Basin and loves South Africa, and Gillespie downwind on his home ground if he gets it right will be a handful.

Unfortunately, Steyn, Philander and Morkel will also enjoy the Basin very very much.

SeamUp

International Coach
Tipping Gillespie and Martin for blinders. Martin loves the Basin and loves South Africa, and Gillespie downwind on his home ground if he gets it right will be a handful.

Unfortunately, Steyn, Philander and Morkel will also enjoy the Basin very very much.
Sure Gillespie got some freebie wickets (Amla's wide slash, Jakes nick down leg etc) but I was impressed with the length he kept hammering away on in the first innings. It made it tough for our batsmen. Don't forget he got the ball to move both ways as well.

Sometimes people can write-off a name because of supposed mediocrity but I was impressed with his bowling in general in the first innings and not just because he took 5 wickets in the end.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sometimes people can write-off a name because of supposed mediocrity but I was impressed with his bowling in general in the first innings and not just because he took 5 wickets in the end.
He's a wicket taker, but on an offday, he'll go for plenty. I guess the concerns that people have had with Gillespie is that often the offdays outnumber the ondays. Have to say though, that I love watching him bat. :laugh:

Howsie

International Captain
Nah mate, gone are the days of South Africa going into a test match without a spinner.

They're giving Tahir every opportunity he can get ahead of the England tour. Smith seemed pretty happy so far in what he has done and the pitches he has played on have turned slowly and if he got the chance to step up for the team when conditions require, hopefully he can do it.
Yeah, fair enough I suppose. I'd just love to see the guy bowl at the Basin.

Personally I don't think Tahir looks like much though, bit of a pie chucker imo. With Steyn, Philander and Morkel South Africa have enough fire power to win rather comfortably anyway. No harm in giving Tahir a decent run in the team.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how much downwind bowling Gillespie will get unfortunately, you'd think he'll be most likely bullocking his way up from the Govt House end, especially if Boult plays. Expect Boult to be more of a threat (like Franklin's always been) with wind coming over the left shoulder for his pace and inswing.

Mike5181

International Captain
Friday23 Mar
High 21°C
Overnight 16°C
Few showers

Showers clearing. Northerly winds.
Issued: 1:41pm 19 Mar

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how much downwind bowling Gillespie will get unfortunately, you'd think he'll be most likely bullocking his way up from the Govt House end, especially if Boult plays. Expect Boult to be more of a threat (like Franklin's always been) with wind coming over the left shoulder for his pace and inswing.
You think Boult will play? I can't see how they can justify four seamers again when our batting has been so awful.

I'd say it has to be Flynn in at the top (the argument can be done another time as to how you can pitch a guy in to do it when he's never done it at Test level and hardly ever - if I'm right - at domestic level) Brownlie at 6, Vettori at seven, van Wyk at 8 and Bracewell/Gillespie/Martin

Unless they're not confident that Brownlie is completely fit to go.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They can justify four seamers because our bowlers have been the only reason we haven't been totally walked over this series so far.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Another article on the team make-up on stuff website. Basically a whole lot of conjecture and not many answers. A few quotes from Wright (or paraphrased) include:

coach John Wright indicated this morning that there were several options being tossed around, and opening with Flynn was just one of those.
Dan Vettori has done a reasonable job at No 6 but we need to bat a little lower, particularly against such a quality bowling attack.
Wright said they would play the ''four best bowlers'' for the conditions at the Basin Reserve
So yeah my interpretation is Boult will miss out. I shudder a bit to think that our four bowlers will include Vettori who does not take wickets and Gillespie who is always likely to be very hot-and-cold. Seems like we'll be playing for a rain-affected draw tbh (still no way we would bat out a non-rain-affected draw).

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But Bracewell and Martin have been consistent and Gillespie proved he's worthy of selection. No one else has, so run with those three + Vettori at 7.

Unfortunately that's not the most bold move when you're 0-1 down with a Test to go, but it's probably the way they'll go.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, I'm picking they go with

Guptill
Flynn
McCullum
Taylor
Williamson
Brownlie
Vettori
van Wyk
Gillespie