• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Howsie

International Captain
On Arnel:"He knows this wicket pretty well. He's been a form bowler and talking around the traps probably is the best he's bowled for a few years. He bowls wicket to wicket and can hurry players up. He's a little quicker than people think.
Probably the quickest he's bowled in a few years tbh. Obviously he's not going to beat anyone with his pace but I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting 135 instead of 125 if he plays - which he should. Seems to have regained that "nip" he had when he first made the New Zealand team too.

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
How are the weather forecasts looking for this match?
Was furious rain halted our glorious march toward victory in the first test.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Rossco's been stitched up here re: Gillespie. So dangerous having tards writing the news bulletins...

Black Caps yet to trim test lineup - Latest Cricket News - Just Sport - New Zealand's Sports Network

Ross Taylor believes he has potentially one of the most lethal fast bowlers in the world at his disposal for the second test against South Africa.

The Black Caps captain goes into the test without striker bowler Tim Southee, dropped due to poor form.

Options to replace him are Northern Districts quick Brent Arnel or Wellington's Mark Gillespie, who Taylor has massive wraps on.

"When he was in our side, in his peak he was one of the best bowlers in the world and took a lot of wickets so hopefully he can continue that if he gets the opportunity tomorrow," Taylor says.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably the quickest he's bowled in a few years tbh. Obviously he's not going to beat anyone with his pace but I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting 135 instead of 125 if he plays - which he should. Seems to have regained that "nip" he had when he first made the New Zealand team too.
I heard this somewhere else..if Arnel can operate at 135km and hit good areas with his seam position and height, he'll be a factor. Philander isn't much more than 135km and he isn't overly tall either.

I'd pick Arnel. Ellis is a weak buck each way bet, Gillespie I haven't seen bowl to be fair but from what I'm hearing he doesn't shape it all that much and Nethula won't get any turn out of Hamilton.

Polo23

International Debutant
I'd pick Gillespie solely on the ball that had the off pole cartwheeling. Yep that's right, one good ball and you're in.

I reckon they'll go with Gillespie, given the fact they keep going on about taking 20 wickets, they probably see Gillespie as the most likely to get a bag full.

Not really fussed either way, though I wouldn't mind seeing Gillespie running in, bowling quick and being aggressive.

Mike5181

International Captain
Hurt my ankle in our warm-up y'day. Initially thought I was in trouble, but physio, Brandon Jackson came 2 the rescue. Should be ready tomz

Woodster

International Captain
Hopefully a better Test weather-wise and both sides will take enough positives from the opening Test to go into this one with some confidence.

AB de Villiers South Africa's only selection worry ahead of the Test, by the sounds of things it seems he'll be good to go though. For NZ, obviously Southee out, and he can have few arguments with that, and it appears a shoot-out between Arnel, Gillespie and Ellis, and which type of bowler Wright and Taylor want in there to complement the bowlers they already have. I've always liked Gillespie and his style of bowler, can't worry too much about his economy, just let him attack and bowl quickly, don't think NZ have anyone like that in their attack.

I worry about the depth of NZ's batting, Taylor suggesting the meaningful runs must come from the top five, which is fair enough, but I would prefer an extra bit of batting strength in this side.