• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Mike5181

International Captain
Also think Nicol deserves a decent chance. He showed some grit in the 2nd dig in the face of some hostile bowling and was unlucky to slam a full bunger straight down mid on's throat.
The guy showed some major balls no doubt and it's a shame he got out the way he did after taking a beating from Morkel. It was clear he wasn't quite up to the standard required to play Philander, Steyn, Morkel etc though.

Flem274*

123/5
Martin Guptill
Trent Boult
Brendon McCullum
Ross Taylor (c)
Kane Williamson
Daniel Vettori
Kruger van Wyk (wk)
Andrew Ellis
Doug Bracewell
Mark Gillespie
Chris Martin

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
After watching Philander's McGrath-esque performance I am astounded that he is apparently rubbish at limited overs. Even his List A numbers are average, and for someone with such control over line and length, and enough movement to cause serious problems, this is baffling.

Howsie

International Captain
Gillespie > Arnel, and Southee's current form, for mine.
Would personally much rather he got a run than Nethula, who I feel is overhyped because he's a wrist spinner.

Sadly, I think Arnel will get the nod and end up with a return of 1-150 off 40-50 overs for the match, if that.
The fact that CD are willing to play him in the HRV Cup probably helps too sadly. Plenty of exposure to the media in that competition which no doubt plays a part in his selection. How else could you explain selecting him over Todd Astle?

Flem274*

123/5
Astle hasn't really had an impact this summer. Not saying Nethula is the right choice, but I can understand why they would leave Todd Astle out rather than play him against Kallis and co.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, I wouldn't pick Astle either of course. But even in what you'd call a slight down year his number over the last two and a half seasons **** all over Nethula's.

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
Has Astle worked out whether he's a batting or bowling allrounder yet?
His FC numbers are actually a bit better than I thought, I probably would take him over Nethula.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Southee really has had a fall from grace. I recall him over here being quite dangerous when conditions were conducive. He looked promising with the bat early doors too. Perhaps a bit of hubris and overhype.
It's quite simply because his bowling has got worse and worse, the way he bowled early on deserved a bit of excitement and hype.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
can't be bothered to find the thread so just post it in here - Ronchi is gonna play for the Wellington Firebirds and is thinking of flying over for the rest of the season, however long that is.
Not long left now, but he'd be straight in the team for sure.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^Not an expert on Easts if Dry is the leg spinner then as of 2 months ago yes he was still playing. He pushes them through quite quickly so I would not have him before Tarun. That said he was too good for NaeNae while I was watching from the sidelines. Looks good in a headband too.:dry:

Flem274*

123/5
In other news, Mark Watson wants to know the difference between Boult, Arnel and Gillespie.

Unfortunately the NRL intervened before someone could at least tell him Boult bowls with his left arm.