• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having said that, I think Wright might give Southee one more game to improve.
Half a dozen not enough for Wrighty?

If Mo Southi's in the team, I hope he goes well. He had so much promise that seems to have evaporated over the last couple of years, but I don't see it happening. That said, the alternatives aren't looking too flash either.

Briony

International Debutant
That's a great way to completely ignore the facts. Dunedin gets less rain than every other New Zealand city with a currently used test match cricket ground apart from Napier with the two cities getting about the same amount of rain. Wellington and Hamilton get far more rain. If the third test gets washed out are you going to stop playing at the Basin?
Well it makes my assertion that they should have played tests against SA earlier even more sensible.

SA's last test was the early Jan. so there was nothing stopping them coming over later that month except for the kiwis playing Zimbabwe which is well below test standard.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Rain effected or not we drew with SA. This keeps alive my bet with Quaggas that NZ might draw this series.

Also NZ were not embarrassed in this test and showed that we can compete. Vettori was right the introduction of Martin, Vettori, and Taylor into the team made a massive difference.

I am putting my faith in the selectors for the next test. I don't think there are any easy "no brainer" decisions to be made except for finding room for Brownlie if he is fit.

HeathDavisSpeed

Well it makes my assertion that they should have played tests against SA earlier even more sensible.

SA's last test was the early Jan. so there was nothing stopping them coming over later that month except for the kiwis playing Zimbabwe which is well below test standard.
Over the last 5 years, the weather has been better in February/March than December/January in NZ in general. There was even talk of shifting the cricket season a month later and having it run through April. You're merely talking about things you don't know with the benefit of hindsight. The weather has been atrocious here all summer and these tests could have been rain interrupted at any time. That's part of playing in NZ I'm afraid.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I too think van Wyk is better than Wattling but you have to bring the injured incumbent back in, especially considering he made 100 in his last dig.
Watling is ruled out again due to injury and so is Brownlie.

I'd drop Southee. Yes he's talented, yes he'll go and dominate FC probably. But he bowled like a busted arse, has technical issues and is offering nothing with the bat. He's a passenger and you can't afford those against the world No.2.

As for who I'd pick, not Nethula. Seddon Park has never really turned much at all. If it's going to be green, Arnel comes into it. I wouldn't go Ellis, offers a little bit with the ball and a little bit with the bat. We need more.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not too worried who they pick ahead off Southee as long as they can contribute something. As you say, we can't afford passengers.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling is ruled out again due to injury and so is Brownlie.

I'd drop Southee. Yes he's talented, yes he'll go and dominate FC probably. But he bowled like a busted arse, has technical issues and is offering nothing with the bat. He's a passenger and you can't afford those against the world No.2.

As for who I'd pick, not Nethula. Seddon Park has never really turned much at all. If it's going to be green, Arnel comes into it. I wouldn't go Ellis, offers a little bit with the ball and a little bit with the bat. We need more.
Has this been confirmed now? Not great.

I too hope Ellis doesn't play - I'm not against domestic stalwarts like him but he's a bowling allrounder and I cannot stand his bowling action and can't see him troubling SA. Agree re Nethula too - I'm penning his test debut in for the West Indies tour. Wells and McKay haven't performed in the last couple of FC matches so count them out.

So that leaves the ever present Franklin, a bowler who has shown recent form like Arnel, Gillespie or McClenaghan. Or retain Southee. I don't really like any of those tbh.

Quaggas

State Captain
Rain effected or not we drew with SA. This keeps alive my bet with Quaggas that NZ might draw this series.
Yes, sir. (Edit: of course, still alive and well) We agreed that a series draw would be your victory if at least one game was not "significantly rain affected." In the event of a series draw, but all three games were badly curtailed, the bet would be void.

BTW, I'd say this game was "significantly affected," with one whole day washed out - what say you?

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant

Also NZ were not embarrassed in this test and showed that we can compete. Vettori was right the introduction of Martin, Vettori, and Taylor into the team made a massive difference.

I am putting my faith in the selectors for the next test. I don't think there are any easy "no brainer" decisions to be made except for finding room for Brownlie if he is fit.
Interestingly enough it looked at first as if SA would have been better off with its ODI unit because it radically changed its team. But it got better as the test went on after they lost possibly what was a good toss to win for the home team.

Martin would have been disappointed with his second innings though. He was saying a few days ago that he likes bowling against SA and he's got great records against Smith and Kallis but they seemed to get on top of him despite lack of match practice.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
the 'bring back gillespie' bandwagon is rolling out aws
Great the commentators can do close ups on his shoes to show the duct tape wrapped around them to hold them together and talk ad nauseum about how he goes through many pairs of shoes half way through the 3rd session of the test.

On a serious note has he learned how to swing the ball? Or get any type of movement.

HeathDavisSpeed

I went down to the Basin for some of the Canterbury game, and it didn't look like he was moving it at all. However, I was only there for about 2 hours and he only had use of the old ball in that time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching replays of Nicol taking blows on his body to serve his country in a test match in the 2nd dig was quite impressive.

And McCullum wearing one on the frickin helmet so he wouldn't get his gloves near the ball was also amazing. Makes me proud of the lads.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Am I right in saying that this result means South Africa can't get to number 1 at the end of the series?

Shame about the rain. Could have been an intriguing day.