• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Howsie

International Captain
Williamson is another one who cannot afford to keep underperforming - honeymoon period is over and he needs to start making significant contributions.
His game looks to have regressed for mine, especially his game against the spinners. He's also become very loose outside off-stump recently too, infact I can't remember a single ball he left during his innings yesterday, he was trying to play at everything. That probably just comes down to playing so much limited overs cricket recently though, I hope so anyway. But yeah his play against spin in the last 6-12 months just doesn't look as fluent as it once did.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I can tell you with the utmost assurity that the players hate the DRS in terms of the predicted paths.

If Smithy is banging on about the magic of the moment, then he needs to lay off the hot dogs (he needs to anyway). But the predicted paths often bemuse me.
People who are often bemused by the predicted paths often bemuse me because their usual justification is "Oh, it looked to me like it was going further down leg than they predicted" without really taking it any further. Beyond "Oh, it's just me gut telling me what's what" how can you justify it? The prediction of the path is done using computations and tracking. It's no doubt been tested to be accurate in a lab & in the field. It's probably subject to scrutiny, there are 2 providers, I would assume if one were inaccurate the other would should it from the rooftops.

What's your counter to that? This isn't a religious discussion where gut feel, faith & belief can be used as a valid argument.

Mine is that they're using it. As inept as the ICC is, they wouldn't just chuck a totally unproven system into the mix without trials & data.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
My counter to it is simply that the players don't rate it. Their opinion holds more weight than mine. Read the papers tomorrow.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Disappointing, if expected, scorecard. NZ did okay on day two but that's when they threw away an advantage they couldn't afford to. Nowhere to go for them now, really.

SeamUp

International Coach
Great show put up by two of the best today. In a spot of bother but got out of it.

That pitch requires some patience when you bat on it due to the slowness of the track. As we saw with Petersen and the odd ocassion with Smith...when you come at the ball you can get yourself out here very easily and then the odd periods of sideways movement keeps the bowlers interested.

Prob stick Kiwis in just before or after lunch.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great show put up by two of the best today. In a spot of bother but got out of it.

That pitch requires some patience when you bat on it due to the slowness of the track. As we saw with Petersen and the odd ocassion with Smith...when you come at the ball you can get yourself out here very easily and then the odd periods of sideways movement keeps the bowlers interested.

Prob stick Kiwis in just before or after lunch.
Would take some special batting or bowling for the Kiwis to be batting anywhere near lunch. South Africa are spectacularly awful at upping the rate in declaration chases. New Zealand getting an awkward period before tea is the most likely scenario, but it wouldn't surprise me if South Africa batted til tea either.

Mike5181

International Captain
Nah, rain will arrive on Sunday. I wouldn't bat more than 40 overs tomorrow and by then they will have something like 375 which will be more than enough.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would take some special batting or bowling for the Kiwis to be batting anywhere near lunch. South Africa are spectacularly awful at upping the rate in declaration chases. New Zealand getting an awkward period before tea is the most likely scenario, but it wouldn't surprise me if South Africa batted til tea either.
Don't think we need to up the rate massively tbh as its not that easy on the slow pitch when you come at the ball.

Bat normally for 2 hrs in 2.5hrs session and our lead is already 330. Which should be more than enough but obviously include a slight acceleration as they would want an attacking field for Tahir and runs to play with.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
You have enough now. It won't rain on Sunday unless we're miraculously within reach of the target, but still, better to be safe than sorry...

thierry henry

International Coach
My counter to it is simply that the players don't rate it. Their opinion holds more weight than mine. Read the papers tomorrow.
Well, that settles it then.

:huh::huh::huh:

ftr I reckon the replays showed the Bracewell/Rudolph one pitching exactly where the DRS said it did. Hardly surprising really since that's what the thing's there for and it's not exactly rocket science to get it right.

Briony

International Debutant
SA on top after a slowish day. Kallis and Smith did pretty well under pressure.

NZ aren't totally out of it though if they can smash through SA quickly tomorrow given how flat the pitch is.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, that settles it then.

:huh::huh::huh:

ftr I reckon the replays showed the Bracewell/Rudolph one pitching exactly where the DRS said it did. Hardly surprising really since that's what the thing's there for and it's not exactly rocket science to get it right.
Welcome back friend.

You're quite right, DRS never sent anyone into space. And it's there to predict stuff. I would've told Kallis and Bracewell that when they cast their doubt on it but I was at the pub

thierry henry

International Coach
Welcome back friend.

You're quite right, DRS never sent anyone into space. And it's there to predict stuff. I would've told Kallis and Bracewell that when they cast their doubt on it but I was at the pub
Still have no idea why you're using player criticism of the DRS to suggest that the DRS is not accurate. You've got as much information in front of you to formulate a reasoned opinion as they do. It seems self-evident to me that it should be a pretty straightforward piece of technology to implement and use accurately.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, rain will arrive on Sunday. I wouldn't bat more than 40 overs tomorrow and by then they will have something like 375 which will be more than enough.
Leaving 300-350 even against NZ would be dangerous and a gamble. You can't rely on the weather to wipe out x overs.

How well South Africa accelerate depends heavily on who's batting. AB I'd back to score quickly - the rest I'm not so sure.

SeamUp

International Coach
Leaving 300-350 even against NZ would be dangerous and a gamble. You can't rely on the weather to wipe out x overs.

How well South Africa accelerate depends heavily on who's batting. AB I'd back to score quickly - the rest I'm not so sure.
:laugh: Scared of that number 1 position are we

Lead of 233 plus 30 overs of batting normally at 3 RPO, gets us to a lead of 320 with plenty of time to push ahead for about 10 overs and have a lead of 375 or so after batting about 40 overs like Mike says.

You'll be flat on your face about acceleration as its not even majorly required. :huh:

BeeGee

International Captain
Smith and Kallis showed their class and have set the game up nicely for SA.

It's going to take a monumental effort by the NZ batsmen to save this game, but confidence is very low. They just don't have the patience and mental fortitude Smith and Kallis displayed.

On a side note, Bracewell continues to impress. 3 for 52 against quality batsmen on a flat wicket is top class. A great find for NZ.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Smith and Kallis showed their class and have set the game up nicely for SA.

It's going to take a monumental effort by the NZ batsmen to save this game, but confidence is very low. They just don't have the patience and mental fortitude Smith and Kallis displayed.

On a side note, Bracewell continues to impress. 3 for 52 against quality batsmen on a flat wicket is top class. A great find for NZ.
Needs to be kept away from T20 cricket - as per Simon Doull.

SeamUp

International Coach
Got to agree about Bracewell. Very much suited to test cricket at this stage.

Nice easy run up and a good strong action. The more he bowls the more confident he will have grooved his action and the faster he could even bowl. Key, is the shape he gets is the perfect amount as well. Not too much or not too little.