• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Mike5181

International Captain
Commentators 8-) Yes there's aaallways some amazing player around who, if playing this match, would be the solution to all our problems.
This is our best team bar Rob Nicol personally. Maybe Wagner is a better bowler than one of our seamers but other than that there's no-one. I also think Van Wyk should be considered our number one wicketkeeper instead of Watling now. He's proven himself with the bat and the gloves so far.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A) Pretty irrelevant. Southee is batting like a goon for one, and secondly he's not picked for his runs - he's picked to contribute to the taking of 20 wickets. The way Boult has batted at Test level, he could go up to nine and Mitch to 10. Yes you want contributions but it's only an argument that crops up when the top order is failing.

B) He can bat, he's actually very gritty when he wants to be. Made 35 in that innings last week where apart from Hopkins' 130, no one made moer than about 10. Gutsed it out for about 100 balls from memory.

Harsh on whoever criticised Boult, he's been pretty good today. Beaten Kallis quite a few times.
I'm not into picking bowlers for their batting but Boult at 9 is awful. Good on McClenaghan for picking up what, 4 five-wicket bags across all formats this season? If he keeps doing it he will be putting pressure on our first-choice pacers but I wouldn't be rushing him in for the next test personally.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This is our best team bar Rob Nicol personally. Maybe Wagner is a better bowler than one of our seamers but other than that there's no-one. I also think Van Wyk should be considered our number one wicketkeeper instead of Watling now. He's proven himself with the bat and the gloves so far.
Agree, with Southee the most likely guy to be dropped if he doesn't pull finger very soon.

Williamson is another one who cannot afford to keep underperforming - honeymoon period is over and he needs to start making significant contributions.

Don't really mind Van Wyk or Watling at present.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not into picking bowlers for their batting but Boult at 9 is awful. Good on McClenaghan for picking up what, 4 five-wicket bags across all formats this season? If he keeps doing it he will be putting pressure on our first-choice pacers but I wouldn't be rushing him in for the next test personally.
Agreed, but Southee at 9 is awful at present. We know he has the talent but when did we last see it?

Also agreed on McClenaghan, I'm just going through a scenario in terms of his batting.

As for Southee, I can't help but think the loss of Donald has put him back a hell of a long way. He was dynamite at the World Cup, Donald shipped off, then he's average again.

And I can't understand the 'van Wyk is now our man' comments. BJ played one Test, did nothing wrong glove-wise, scored a hundred (I know it was Zim) and then missed out. No chance he misses out, no matter how gritty van Wyk's 35 was.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
And I can't understand the 'van Wyk is now our man' comments. BJ played one Test, did nothing wrong glove-wise, scored a hundred (I know it was Zim) and then missed out. No chance he misses out, no matter how gritty van Wyk's 35 was.
Haha, just realised Watling's 100 v Zim had completely slipped my mind. Still don't have a strong opinion either way.

Mike5181

International Captain
You just said Van Wyk had "proven" himself ffs. Since when is a slow grafting 36 proving oneself?
It was a great innings against the best attack in the world after we had just lost McCullum, Taylor and Williamson. It was exactly what we needed at the time and quite frankly should be worth more selection-wise than Watling's century against possibly the worst international attack ffs.

Howsie

International Captain
It was a great innings against the best attack in the world after we had just lost McCullum, Taylor and Williamson. It was exactly what we needed at the time and quite frankly should be worth more selection-wise than Watling's century against possibly the worst international attack ffs.
Who said anything about Watling's 100? Your've got to show consistency in your selections and dropping someone because his injury replacement made 36 isn't doing that.

What New Zealand needed ftr was someone to man up and score 100, not a painful 36 which was ended as soon as the new ball was taken.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fun fact: If Southee concedes another 266 runs without taking a wicket his test bowling average will pass 50.

Flem274*

123/5
To win this test

1) Guptill needs to prove his worth at the highest level
2) Nicol needs to show he isn't completely out of his depth
3) Baz needs more than another bloody 40
4) Ross needs to Ross
5) Williamson needs to stop batting like an ND batsman
6) Dan needs to Dan
7) Take it home Kruger babeh

so basically 1, 2, 3 aren't happening and we'll fall short.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
To win this test

1) Guptill needs to prove his worth at the highest level
2) Nicol needs to show he isn't completely out of his depth
3) Baz needs more than another bloody 40
4) Ross needs to Ross
5) Williamson needs to stop batting like an ND batsman
6) Dan needs to Dan
7) Take it home Kruger babeh

so basically 1, 2, 3 aren't happening and we'll fall short.
Getting another 8 wickets will help as well.