• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Briony

International Debutant
Steyn posted a pic of his bloodied, blistered toes on twitter.

Think SA probably need 350 if the pitch continues to be placid. Tahir wasn't terrible but didn't do enough to suggest he'd run through the kiwis if the quicks didn't get the job done.

Kiwis were quite plucky after being in trouble at tea.

kingkallis

International Coach
Couldn't agree more, mate.

These guys are still human and they are allowed to have their average days. Its not like he bowled 20 overs 0-110 or something.

**** I hate the journos/media!
I am glad he is not an Indian else the media would have forced him to retire. Or maybe they would have plotted a fight between Philander & Steyn...

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Steyn posted a pic of his bloodied, blistered toes on twitter.

Think SA probably need 350 if the pitch continues to be placid. Tahir wasn't terrible but didn't do enough to suggest he'd run through the kiwis if the quicks didn't get the job done.

Kiwis were quite plucky after being in trouble at tea.

****ing warrior.

Bowlers >>>>>>>>>> Batsmen.

South Africa can potentially defend 120. But NZ could also chase down 250 - 350. Game is nicely poised.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
I'll be very disappointed if NZ don't get at least 100 run lead.
I'm very disappointed. A golden opportunity squandered.

The way McCullum and Taylor threw their wickets away after being set was a disgrace.

The only NZ batsman who impressed me was Bracewell. He played a proper Test innings and didn't get out to a stupid shot. It took a very good delivery to dislodge him.

Southee had better take a 5fer in the next innings. He must be living on borrowed time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Little clips of NZ's 1st innings dismissals, for CW's future reference. :naughty:

RJ Nicol c GC Smith b VD Philander 6 (12)

MJ Guptill b M Morkel 13 (43)

BB McCullum c & b Imran Tahir 48 (102)

LRPL Taylor c MV Boucher b M Morkel 44 (77)

KS Williamson c MV Boucher b VD Philander 11 (45)

DL Vettori c & b JH Kallis 46 (78)

CFK Van Wyk c GC Smith b VD Philander 36 (92)

DAJ Bracewell b DW Steyn 25 (46)

TG Southee c GC Smith b VD Philander 0 (2)

TA Boult

CS Martin

FOW: 1-7 (Nicol, 3.2 ov), 2-41 (Guptill, 16.5 ov), 3-106 (McCullum, 38.1 ov), 4-116 (Taylor, 41.4 ov), 5-135 (Williamson, 49.6 ov), 6-188 (Vettori, 67.3 ov), 7-229 (Van Wyk, 81.2 ov), 8-229 (Southee, 81.4 ov), 9-239 (Bracewell, 84.6 ov), 10-

Woodster

International Captain
I'm sure it's already been said previously in this thread, but the three experienced players in McCullum, Taylor and Vettori not going on once they got a good start is the reason NZ will only manage a rather insignificant lead after the first innings. Only saw the highlights of much of the NZ innings, and Taylor looked in very good touch with his drives down the ground and through the covers, then absolutely gifted Morkel his wicket. The delivery was short and wide and asking to be put away to the boundary, but he ended up almost reaching for it, feet rooted to the spot.

Not expecting much of a Martin backlash, not with the bat anyway. Can NZ produce another bowling performance capable of putting SA on the backfoot ? It's unlikely Kallis and de Villiers will go so cheaply again, so have NZ let the chance slip ?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Any thoughts on what van Wyk would theoretically need in the 4th inns to keep a passed-fit Watling at bay?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Have lost faith that he's ever going to grow up and my first thought when I saw this was more time to get boozed. If you haven't grown up enough to show a little discipline in pursuing your life by 27-30 you probably won't - either that or he simply would prefer to lay about and drink rather than play cricket for NZ.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Any thoughts on what van Wyk would theoretically need in the 4th inns to keep a passed-fit Watling at bay?
IMO he's performed well enough to be retained at the expense of Watling already, barring some awful dropped catch in the second innings.

Btw, haven't heard anything on Brownlie's fitness for the second test - will be a big blow if he's still injured.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
At this stage it seems Brownlie won't be playing the next test so I'd imagine both van Wyk and Watling will play, one as keeper and the other as a batsman at Nicol's expense. I guess Watling would probably take the gloves seeing as he's now the long term keeper? If Brownlie is back and Watling is fit then van Wyk will probably need a match-winning 80 or 100.

Woodster

International Captain
Fantastic little cameo from Boult here, couple of thumping boundaries off Vern!! And another one, a massive six!!