• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Briony

International Debutant
Whats the pitch going to be like for the team batting last?

I have only radio to go by.
If it doesn't crack up it shouldn't be too bad. Looks brownish. The commentators mentioned yesterday that they thought it could be two-paced.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably should've got a 75+ run lead but McCullum and Taylor in particular lost their minds and played idiotic shots. It's still cool to be this close to South Africa though.
Or as Baz would say - 'such is life'.

It's such an opportunity squandered and a mentally stronger side would have a 100-150 run lead at least by tomorrow morning.

I hate to be pessimistic but the pitch is flat, if not a bit slow, and those names in the Proteas top six don't fail twice a hell of a lot.

Briony

International Debutant
Or as Baz would say - 'such is life'.

It's such an opportunity squandered and a mentally stronger side would have a 100-150 run lead at least by tomorrow morning.

I hate to be pessimistic but the pitch is flat, if not a bit slow, and those names in the Proteas top six don't fail twice a hell of a lot.
Kallis wil be looking to avoid a second pair within a few months.

Petersen probably needs runs to establish himself again.

Would be surprised if AB has a double failure.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Could have been worse, could have been better. But to be even on the scoreboard after two days is not something to complain about.

Especially good to see contributions from McCullum, Van Wyk and Bracewell even if no-one went on. I expected SA to slice through our lower order in no time and really it was only pea-heart Southee who let that happen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently the SA media are dreaming up stories that Steyn has lost his bite.

This is a guy who took 3-for in his last Test, 5-for in the one before that, 4-for in the one before that, 4-for in the one before that, 4-for in the one before that, 5-for in the one before that, 6-for in the one before that, 4-for (and three) in the one before that and 4-for in the one before that. If you follow me.

Amazing how a) you make a rod for your own back sometimes when you're so good at what you do (read Kallis) and b) how knee-jerk/unknowledgeable the media can be (also read Kallis)

Flametree

International 12th Man
The ball that got Bracewell might have been a sign that he's got some of his mojo back. Was a thing of beauty (even for someone supporting NZ..).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This is a guy who took 3-for in his last Test, 5-for in the one before that, 4-for in the one before that, 4-for in the one before that, 4-for in the one before that, 5-for in the one before that, 6-for in the one before that, 4-for (and three) in the one before that and 4-for in the one before that. If you follow me.

Tbf it's probably Steyn's worst run of tests since he started :ph34r:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And it's probably his worst return against NZ. He averaged something ridiculous against us before this series. I'd check, but, you know, Cricinfo's dead.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Could've done better, but in the lead, fair enough - expected better from Rossco tho.

Hopefully Steyn gets back in his good ol self soon, has been such a rough patch for him since ages now.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bleugh. How thoroughly predictable was the scoreline this morning. I was thinking 250 last night.

Random batsmen bat randomly.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Okay, so Steyn may not take as many wickets per match or 5-fers per innings now that Phil is around.

So, his record will start to look like Marshall's, rather than Hadlee's. Who cares? Still an all-time great bowler, and he's only 28.

SeamUp

International Coach

Amazing how a) you make a rod for your own back sometimes when you're so good at what you do (read Kallis) and b) how knee-jerk/unknowledgeable the media can be (also read Kallis)
Couldn't agree more, mate.

These guys are still human and they are allowed to have their average days. Its not like he bowled 20 overs 0-110 or something.

**** I hate the journos/media!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He probably only has another a few years of cricket left in him. He's what 28 in five months and with his injury problems playing past his early thirties will be a good effort.
It's up to him really.

If he has a Warne-like transformation he'll have another 10 years in him. If not he'll drop off quite quickly within 5 and spend most of that time injured anyway.

So anyway New Zealand to face a 4th innings target of 350-400. Briony to proclaim the Kiwis as heavy favourites and Steyn to take a 5-fer as they get skittled for 150.