• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quinton de Kock

Marius

International Debutant
Pothas probably deserved it at the time... but I think that SA where trying to build a team and wanted somebody a bit younger.
Perhaps but Pothas is only three years older than Boucher, so not a massive age gap.

Just looked at Pothas's Cricinfo profile and see he played a couple of games for Greece at the end of his career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pothas played some ODIs right? Always felt he deserved a run in tests. Funnily enough, think Boucher got in as he was a better batter, or at least considered a better batter at that time, right?

anil1405

International Captain
Gilchrist was pretty awesome in ODIs.. his average was great considering the period he played in. 11 centuries already is great going by De Kock, but Gilly did it in WC finals, CB tri-series finals etc. QdK had a poor WC last year IIRC.
Which is pretty much why I don't want to jump to conclusions that de Kock is better than Gilchrist. Maybe after de Kock has played 100 more ODIs we might get a better idea of where he stands. From what we have seen till now of de Kock he has not only given explosive starts like Gilly has but has gone on to make bigger contributions to his team.

Marius

International Debutant
Pothas played some ODIs right? Always felt he deserved a run in tests. Funnily enough, think Boucher got in as he was a better batter, or at least considered a better batter at that time, right?
Yeah, he played a couple, I think they were in a random tri-series in Singapore or something.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Boucher gets a tad overrated imo
Was a pretty good keeper actually. The only problem is that he was the last in the line of keepers who are now obsolete. He is just from a different era whose last few years coincided with the modern era which means he compared unfavorably.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Much better already than Gilchrist in ODI's. Gilchrist is seriously overrated in that format, largely based on peoples memories of him being a swashbuckler and his performance in the 2007 World Cup Final. No his average wasn't great considering the period he played in, that is some serious revisionism. Plenty of better openers than Gilchrist in ODIs and Dhoni is better value as a wicket keeper, so I never saw why people had him absolutely penciled in as a certainty in an all time ODI XI. In tests yes, but not in ODIs.

viriya

International Captain
Gilchrist isn't even the current GOAT ODI wicketkeeper-batsman. The real GOAT retired after hitting 4 tons in a row in the last WC.

Burner

International Regular
Sangakkara better than both Gilchrist and Dhoni? Don't think so. In fact even De Kock has been better from what I've seen and he could well end up the greatest.

viriya

International Captain
Sangakkara better than both Gilchrist and Dhoni? Don't think so. In fact even De Kock has been better from what I've seen and he could well end up the greatest.
Dhoni easily the greatest ODI wk/batsman
Um.. I forgot Dhoni.. :unsure:

My ODI top 5 right now is probably:

#1: MS Dhoni
#2: Kumar Sangakkara
#3: Adam Gilchrist
#4: Andy Flower
#5: Quinton de Kock

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gilchrist comparison sounds a bit vague to me.
Vague? Really? Both explosive natural ball-striking left-handed wicket-keeping batsmen capable of taking the game away from opposition in less than a session in Test cricket & destroying attacks in any form of the game.

Two of a just handful of keepers in cricket history capable of realistically averaging 45+ in Test cricket.

I don't think it's a vague comparison at all, whether one is talking talent, temperament or style.

OverratedSanity

Purely in terms of his batting aesthetically, he reminds me a lot more of Sangakkara than Gilchrist. His easy stance, backlift and trigger movement are all pure Sanga.

anil1405

International Captain
Vague? Really? Both explosive natural ball-striking left-handed wicket-keeping batsmen capable of taking the game away from opposition in less than a session in Test cricket & destroying attacks in any form of the game.

Two of a just handful of keepers in cricket history capable of realistically averaging 45+ in Test cricket.

I don't think it's a vague comparison at all, whether one is talking talent, temperament or style.
Easy. I was speaking in terms of performance in that post.

de Kock has not only given South Africa explosive starts JUST AS Gilchrist did but has gone on to make it big on most occasions unlike Gilchrist. Which makes me believe if de Kock bats like this for 100 more ODIs then he would've surpassed Gilchrist in ODIs. The reason I find it vague is because at this moment it can't be said that de Kock is better than Gilchrist although he has clearly performed better than Gilchrist has in his short career so far.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

I'll tolerate that Dhoni was on par with Gilchrist and I'll perhaps even tolerate that he is better (but not IMO)

But thinking that Sangakkara is a better WK batsman in ODIs over Gilchrist is stupid. Gilchrist opened, and was probably the greatest ODI opener ever, Tendulkar aside. His SR of almost 100 was crazy.

Even if we say Gilchrist and Sanga were on par as keepers, Gilchrist's batting was actually pretty revolutionary for an opener in ODIs, and when Gilchrist launched, there was no better sight in cricket, and I doubt any batsman ever has intimidated and dominated in ODIs ever, apart from Viv.

vcs

Sanga is not better than Gilly in ODis. One of those cases where you cannot take stats at face value. Having said that, Sanga's 4 tons in 2015 was pretty spectacular and brings the comparison much closer than it originally was.

akilana

International 12th Man
I'll tolerate that Dhoni was on par with Gilchrist and I'll perhaps even tolerate that he is better (but not IMO)

But thinking that Sangakkara is a better WK batsman in ODIs over Gilchrist is stupid. Gilchrist opened, and was probably the greatest ODI opener ever, Tendulkar aside. His SR of almost 100 was crazy.

Even if we say Gilchrist and Sanga were on par as keepers, Gilchrist's batting was actually pretty revolutionary for an opener in ODIs, and when Gilchrist launched, there was no better sight in cricket, and I doubt any batsman ever has intimidated and dominated in ODIs ever, apart from Viv.
There was Jayasurya before Gilly

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga for most part of his career was not an exceptional ODI batsman. Sanga in the last 1-2 year was beyond exceptional and that translated across formats as well.

viriya

International Captain

How exactly was Gilchrist revolutionary? He is a clear evolution of what Sanath did.

No way is he a clear ODI opener choice. Only Sachin is unarguable. There are so many other options: Amla, Jayasuriya, Sehwag, Dilshan, Waugh, Gayle, Anwar..