• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quinton de Kock

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because it worked for Sri Lanka doesn't mean it'll work with QdK.

I don't know, it's a dicey situation. He's easily their best batsman currently but he's doing such a good job down the order that you run the risk of ruining the one consistent thing in your lineup. People are just assuming he'll start smashing double hundreds if he moved to 3/4 like Sanga did. It's possible but it's a risky move for sure. Also, Sanga had a good few years of experience before he moved up the order...QdK is still a baby in test cricket.

Gob

International Coach
Kumar was never moved up actually. He was always batting at #3 even while keeping.

Bijed

International Regular
Didn't de Kock open for a test recently again NZ and do pretty well? Obviously not enough to say 'yeah he'll definitely score loads of runs batting up the order' but a positive sign nonetheless.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah it's speculation to suggest that QDK batting higher = more runs. There is no evidence to back this theory up and you risk ruining the one thing that's working well.

I am never a fan of changing something that is working exactly 100% how it is intended to. Like he is literally the best functioning player and you want to risk moving him around? That's how you handle a player who is great in his role? By changing it?

Nah, disagree entirely. At most I agree with moving him up to 6 with an allrounder under him. But to redefine him as a middle order batsman and to change the one thing that's working in the hope that you can get better...nah.
The only constant in life is change. People change batting positions all the time. Dravid started at 5,6. Laxman started as an opener. Ponting started at 6. It's very common for young test batsmen to bat lower when there are senior guys at the top but then slowly move up. Kohli batted at 6 too when Dravid, Laxman and that midget who wouldn't move from 4 were still playing.

I don't think QDK should bat higher than 6 at the moment because the problem for SA right now is their number 4. Duminy is not consistent or good enough to be a test number 4. But it's too early to slot QDK at 4. But the argument you used about not changing is wrong. People who are opposed to change end up being Ian Chappell - out of touch and oblivious in his own cocoon.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah it's speculation to suggest that QDK batting higher = more runs. There is no evidence to back this theory up and you risk ruining the one thing that's working well.

I am never a fan of changing something that is working exactly 100% how it is intended to. Like he is literally the best functioning player and you want to risk moving him around? That's how you handle a player who is great in his role? By changing it?

Nah, disagree entirely. At most I agree with moving him up to 6 with an allrounder under him. But to redefine him as a middle order batsman and to change the one thing that's working in the hope that you can get better...nah.
South Africa has top order problems. It doesn't seem as if other top order batsmen coming through are as high quality as him. He is clearly the best young batting talent in the country (and probably the world at his age).

I believe there are more chances of finding an above average wicket-keeper/batsman and I think SA would be best served having his runs up the order where he can partner with other top order batsmen.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Keep him where he is.

Moving him won't change the fact SA are still players short of a world class side. Moving him up only makes SA more top heavy, he's valuable ballast.

And to shove in another nautical term because I love the sea, seamen and seamanship. You take de Kock from 7 and you've got another hole to fill, and right now I'd say de Kock is filling the role of two bungs down the order with his wicketkeeping and anchor role. Move him and SA drift off to sea.

Faf right now is piloting the ship on his own, his first man Hash is down with scurvy and the former captain has been taken to Davy Jones' locker where he is being forced into horrible penance, playing high-paying t20 tournaments for an entire year. Meanwhile, the boatswain Elgar only rarely shows up, the ordinary seamen are failing, the coxswain Philander is a lazy piece of waste and neglects his job when he sees flat land and the captain's boy Rabada is too young and fresh.

And I always like to say, an accident at sea can ruin your entire day.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
All of this is largely irrelevant as it'll almost certainly all depend on what QdK himself wants to do. If he wants to give up the gloves and move up then he probably will. If he doesn't, then he'll probably stay where he is.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Heinrich Klaasen is making a serious claim for the gloves. Unfortunately South Africa values the role played by QDK at 7.