• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Davo

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah read that some time back....what an amazing bloke!...Wish we had him as a regular commentator.

I am no expert on fast bowling, but found that 'regulating the swing' thing quite amazing...shows that to be a great swing bowler you need to do more than 'swinging it a mile'...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I met Alec Bedser at his home a couple of years before he died - he gave me the same advice - when I told him he was 30 years too late he almost smiled, but not quite

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whenever I see this thread listed I think it says "Devo" at first, and that The Sean is disappointed about something.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Met him a few times at functions. He's an engaging speaker and a proper gent too.

Not afraid to put people in their place of they're jabbering away in the audience. Heard him stop, look at a table who were loud and just say "Are you blokes right? We can wait."

His record is truly superb. I imagine him as his generation's Wasim Akram really.

JBMAC

State Captain
Met him a few times at functions. He's an engaging speaker and a proper gent too.

Not afraid to put people in their place of they're jabbering away in the audience. Heard him stop, look at a table who were loud and just say "Are you blokes right? We can wait."

His record is truly superb. I imagine him as his generation's Wasim Akram really.
Having seen both play mate would say Davidson was the better performer and he definitely had more "mongrel" in him than Akram

Burgey

Truly under rated as a player. His average is phenomenal really, for any era aside from pre-WWI. Was meant to be a superb fielder too, by all reports.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Truly under rated as a player. His average is phenomenal really, for any era aside from pre-WWI. Was meant to be a superb fielder too, by all reports.
For sure, one of Australia's best ever as far as I can tell. My dad still reckons he's up there with the best he ever saw. His powerful batting was really the third string to his bow.

morgieb

Yeah I don't get why Davo isn't rated higher. Stats alone, his average when he was a regular was better than any post-WWI bowler (iirc).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Had a bit of a "sicknote" rep, didn't he? Alluded to in his cricinfo profile IIRC.

Know the Ockers like their quicks to have above averagely sized myogenic cardiac organs, so maybe he didn't tick that box?

Burgey

Had a bit of a "sicknote" rep, didn't he? Alluded to in his cricinfo profile IIRC.

Know the Ockers like their quicks to have above averagely sized myogenic cardiac organs, so maybe he didn't tick that box?
I think he had knee problems from time to time.

Would be a toss up for me between he and Miller in an AT Australian XI. Miller the better batsman but Davo with left arm variety would compliment the likes of McGrath and Lillee or Lindwall so well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Whenever I see this thread listed I think it says "Devo" at first, and that The Sean is disappointed about something.
I'm waiting - probably in vain - for someone to think it's a misplaced thread about the World Economic Forum.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he had knee problems from time to time.

Would be a toss up for me between he and Miller in an AT Australian XI. Miller the better batsman but Davo with left arm variety would compliment the likes of McGrath and Lillee or Lindwall so well.
Would pick both, personally, love the variety Davo's left-armers would bring to the attack, and - quelle surprise, I know - there's no way I could leave Miller out.