• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

massacre this Australian summer

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I really think India's young bowling attack is going to be in for
a very torrid time in Australia on the hard, true decks.

I expect Australia to rack up scores of 500-600 every time.
I only hope India's batsmen can show some courage (unlike the last two tours where they came with big reputations but completely flopped) and fight hard.
Sachin Tendulkar will certainly dig in (as he did in 1991-92 and 99-2000 although he got some dodgy decisions against him on the latter tour) but I am unconvinced about the others including Dravid.

If India are to compete on the bowling front at all, it has to be through spin and not pace. With the exception of Hayden, I still
feel the rest of the Aussie batting line up is not entirely comfortable against spin (a point on which Ian Chappell also agrees). John Wright would have noted Raymond Price's performance in Sydney. Keeping this in mind, I would certainly bring Murali Kartik to Australia, thus having 3 spinners in the squad.
I would play 2 spinners at Sydney and Adelaide -- the only venures I feel India has the remotest chance of forcing anything other than a loss.
But whether the India's selectors pick Karthik is another matter --
if they pick Balaji instead, add another 100 to the Aussie total.

I'm expecting Aus to win 4-0 although I would dearly love to see a contest, as I'm sure most cricket fans would.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How similar is Salvi's action to McGraths?..I recall when Brooke Walker bowled at international cricket he got a grilling because he tried to immitate Warne's action.

Salvi will be really going into the fire if he's copying McGraths action & it doesn't work for him.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I reckon Salvi has a lot of potential , he does try to copy McGrath & he isnt really as quick as McGrath was at the same age.

But he swings the ball & is generally very accurate (much more so than Khan/Nehra/Agarkar).

The fate of the Indians this summer rests on how Sehwag , Dravid , Laxman , Ganguly & Chopra bat.
More than how Khan , Nehra , Harbhajan bowl in my opinion.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
aavishkar salvi

If you're gonna copy someone's action -- it might as well be Glenn Mcgrath's whose action is remarkably smooth.

Salvi's action seems to have worked well ** so far ** for him.

He has an oustanding on A team tours for India and he looked the part against South Africa in a couple of one dayers earlier this year.

Obviously test cricket is a different ball game but Salvi has the credentials and unless you try someone out -- you simply can't say anything.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:
The fate of the Indians this summer rests on how Sehwag , Dravid , Laxman , Ganguly & Chopra bat.
More than how Khan , Nehra , Harbhajan bowl in my opinion.
I disagree. They can only put pressure on the Aussies by taking wickets. If Australia keep racking up 500+ scores, the batting will falter at some stage even if the top 6 all perform well.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
jamesryfler said:
but I am unconvinced about the others including Dravid.
I think you'll find that Rahul Dravid has a better 'away' avg than sachin tendulkar....the best in the team in fact, away from home

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dravid has a better away average than Tendulkar but his record in Australia is very disappointing.
I agree completely with jamesryfler that Khan, Nehra and Harbhajan Singh are in for a thrashing and anyone else who tries their hand will likely meet the same fate.
I pray for Lak Balaji's sake that he is not included. I pray for AnilBhai's sake that he doesn't play a Test. If he does he could be finished, and that would be a crying shame as he's still easily India's best bet for the subsquent home series if they produce some decent, turning wickets.
I will be surprised if Australia fail to make 400 in a completed innings in the home series. I hope India can respond in kind, but whether their only hope is to take quick wickets or not, I don't believe they have bowlers capable of doing it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This last comment from me was a good one, especially the bit about Kumble!
Though he was expensive, he just about held his own with wickets.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
jamesryfler said:
I really think India's young bowling attack is going to be in for
a very torrid time in Australia on the hard, true decks.
I thought it was in India :blink: :wacko:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
DAMN!!!!!!! Caught out at my own game!!!!

:@

Now I realise why you don't like thread digging...