• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaas and Z Khan

mono

U19 Debutant
I've always put these two guys more or less on equal footing. Their records are very similar as well. But i think Zaheer Khan has a better records against top opposition than vaas. But to be fair to vaas he was often employed as an defensive bowler with murali playing the aggressor on the other end.

So my question to the forum is in your opinion how these two stack up against one another

Himannv

International Coach
Personally feel Vaas is a bit of an underrated bowler by most. He was deadly with the new ball and was able to get some reverse swing with the old ball. Excluding that, he was very smart with the deliveries he bowled, often he would use cutters and away swingers (as opposed to his usual patented inswinger to the right-hander) to good effect to get wickets. Also he was immense in the death overs of a LOI, I think some commentator once called him "Dr. Death". Over the years he used his experience well and had a knack of tricking batsmen into getting out.

I think Zaheer may well end up the better bowler if he continues the way he has and continues to add a few more dimensions to his game. Definitely one of the top bowlers around these days. I'd say he already has better stats than Vaas does. Is he the better of the two though? For me, not yet.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaas was a much better cricketer than Zaheer will ever be for mine. Better batsman, better bowler & better fieldsman.

End thread

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Awesome bowler and heavily underrated. He was unlucky because he was in a team with Muralitharan and everyone would only talk about Muralitharan and he played at the time of Wasim Akram and everyone would only talk about Wasim Akram.

But he had amazing variety and control and could move both old and new balls both ways.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Zaheer actually reached greater heights at his absolute peak, but Vaas had by far the better overall career IMO, even if you only take bowling into account.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Vaas was a home-field bowler. Don't know how he did it on the wickets in Sri Lanka, but he averaged under 27 at home. So if the contest is in Sri Lanka, I'll take him. He was deadly in New Zealand as well, but weirdly, when he went to other countries that you imagine might have suited him more, he didn't do well at all. Overall figures of 9-700 in England, for instance.

So if the contest is in Sri Lanka, I'll take Chaminda. Zaheer anywhere else.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Vass never seemed to get any serious injuries. Would have been awesome if Khan had fitness levels like him.

Satguru

Banned
I think Zaheer actually reached greater heights at his absolute peak, but Vaas had by far the better overall career IMO, even if you only take bowling into account.
Strange, i was going to say exactly the opposite thing...:ph34r:
i think Vaas, when he was good, was simply amazing and bowled some ridiculously good spells. On the other hand, Zaheer i think is more consistent, especially over the last 4 years or so. With Vaas, you never knew what you would get, the great Vaas or the awful one, whereas you can rely on Zaheer to be his usual decent-to-good self

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strange, i was going to say exactly the opposite thing...:ph34r:
i think Vaas, when he was good, was simply amazing and bowled some ridiculously good spells. On the other hand, Zaheer i think is more consistent, especially over the last 4 years or so. With Vaas, you never knew what you would get, the great Vaas or the awful one, whereas you can rely on Zaheer to be his usual decent-to-good self
I didn't mean it on a match-to-match basis though. Vaas was always really inconsistent like that, but he maintained very good standards (short of World XI contention) right throughout a long career, whereas Zaheer was pretty **** for ages and then transformed into a genuine World XI candidate towards the end. Vaas on his best day was better than Zaheer on his best day, but Zaheer in his pest 2-3 year period was better than Vaas in his. Overall however, across their entire careers, Vaas was better by a not insignificant margin IMO.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Similar bowlers, I think Zaheer has the ability to be more threatening, but his fitness seems to have let him down lately. Vaas more consistent and a better batsman/fielder too.

mono

U19 Debutant
i remember vaas getting massive surgery once. But he was also the machaya nitini of sri lankan cricket, meaning he went to the gym 24/7 and kept himself in ridiculously good shape.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaas.

Zaheer's a good bowler and all that but to hear everyone bang on about him all the time leaves me scratching my head a little.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a big Zak man, so I'm sticking with my boy.

Vaas has really been dire up here and I'm instinctively biased in favour of chaps who turn it on against England. Zaheer hooped in round corners in 2007.

Subhadeep

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Vaas mainly bowled the one which swings back into the right hander while Zaheer mainly bowls the one which leaves the right hander and comes into the left hander.

smash84

The Tiger King
Vaas was much more likely to be present in the park and was a more cunning bowler.

Zaheer probably more versatile though