• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rate Aravinda De silva

mono

U19 Debutant
Having grown up in the 90s aravinda was my favorite batsman. I always thought he had the talent be up there with lara & sachin, but unfortunately lacked the temperament. watching aravinda bat is nerve wracking you never know what will happen next. He play the shot of the match one ball and get out in the most insipid manner the next.

her are two absurd shot by aravinda of the bowling bret lee

Aravinda de Silva savages Brett Lee - YouTube

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
At his sublime best he was as good as any. Some of the most breathtaking strokeplay I saw has come from his bat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A joy to watch. He made a far more valuable contribution to SL's 1996 WC win than the openers, despite what some will tell you.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Terrific batsman to watch - his overall figures don't do justice to his abilities, but then he didn't have the support that the likes of Sanga and Jayawardene have had

Flametree

International 12th Man
I pair him with Mark Waugh - fantastic to watch, impossible to bowl to on their day... but didn't actually average all that much in test cricket. Both bowled handy offspin too. And they were even better at the one-day game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be interested to hear the views of SL supporters as to where he ranks among their batsmen. I imagine he'd be right up there.

Bouncer

State Regular
When he was in full flow, I would rather watch him than any other batsman of sub continent. No asian batsman could make the cricket ball cry harder than Aravinda, Loved, Loved when he kicked Pak's butt....Because when he did it, It looked fabulous......and he did it plenty of time to keep me happy!

Has anyone every seen any stroke with more swagger than this one (against a bowler with pace like Lee )

Aravinda De Silva playing one of the best shots ever - YouTube

The best stroke that I saw in 2003WC and easily one of the 3 greatest strokes I have ever seen in my life.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I pair him with Mark Waugh - fantastic to watch, impossible to bowl to on their day... but didn't actually average all that much in test cricket. Both bowled handy offspin too. And they were even better at the one-day game.
Always thought Aravinda's 'poor' average was down to debuting so young. Averaged 50 in the 1990s.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was one of those very first exotic foreign batsman that I remember as a kid, really was him and Lara.