• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Inverarity

Andre

International Regular
Must admit I'm pleasantly suprised how well John Inverarity has done as chairman of selectors since taking over the role for CA.

Every time I hear/watch him speak I can't help but be impressed with how across he is the Australian game - a real student of the game. Seemingly a very astute watcher of the game; he sights good examples (that aren't numerical) as to why people should be there. His knowledge of Australian domestic cricket and speifically who is involved in it has been very impressive.

Hats off to Marsh and Bichel for their involvement too - not many panels would have had the guts to go for Pattinson or recall a Hilfenhaus or Hogg.

Results on George Bailey yet to be seen but my gut feel is he will be outstanding, his ability as a captain and batsman will suprise a few.

Congrats on a job well done so far - next Test is what to do with Mike Hussey IMO.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hogg was a piss easy recall. puts bums on seats + so lots of public support + killing it currently + proven performer. Now Hodge.........

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Now Hodge.........
Taking emotion out of the selection - I would agree with the current panel that Watson, S Marsh and Warner are better opening options in the T20 side - that's what he would be considered as, and at this stage of his cricketing career he's not all that well suited to the middle order.

Sylvester

State Captain
I would have agreed with you until today. And let's be honest what have the new selectors really done? Pattinson would have debuted, he was taken on the tour of India and the old selectors showed they were punting on youngsters with Cummins and Lyon. Hilfy you probably could give to the new selectors although it was last man standing in the end in a battle between Starc and Hilfy so again the old selectors might have picked Hilfy anyway. Cowan another 50/50.

Hogg probably wouldn't have been picked by the old selectors, but lets not count our chickens early, he hasn't even got his green and gold gear on yet. The T20I squad was essentially the first time the new selectors actually had the chance to stamp their authority, the Test side was basically continuing what the old selectors left. Now is the time where we really see what they are made of. The ODI side is next followed by the tour of the Caribbean.

JBMAC

State Captain
While Inverarity does not have a graet test record(only just) met him and his knowledge and reading of a game i was impressed with.I'll withhold total judgement until i see how sides go......so far so good

howardj

International Coach
I liked hearing him speak yesterday, and it was interesting to hear that he still thinks Ponting and Hussey can tour England next year at 38 years of age because the selectors' philosophy is just "to pick the best team". With that in mind, you can now kind of understand where they are coming from, for example with selecting Hogg in T20. I just think, in revealing their philosophy and the prism through which they are picking teams, it just allows us fans to make more informed judgements when commenting on the teams that they pick.

Midwinter

State Captain
He should know cricket seeing how he played shield cricket for what seemed like fifty years.

At last the selectors are saying they will "pick the best team", not saying silly things like "we want whathisname to be in the the team against opponents in 2-3 years time " or " He is marked for an extended run in the team".

The selectors may have long term plans but what we want to hear is "This is the best team that can be picked for this game"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He should know cricket seeing how he played shield cricket for what seemed like fifty years.

At last the selectors are saying they will "pick the best team", not saying silly things like "we want whathisname to be in the the team against opponents in 2-3 years time " or " He is marked for an extended run in the team".

The selectors may have long term plans but what we want to hear is "This is the best team that can be picked for this game"
Yeah; I reckon it's lip service to an extent though. There's just no way that Marsh and Cowan are better than Katich and Rogers right now and I don't really believe the selectors think they are, either. At least not Katich, anyway.

adub

International Captain
They can say George Bailey is one of the best t20 cricketers all they like - don't make it true.