• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The issue with No Balls and Dismissals these days

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What's with umpires checking for no balls after a dismissal these days? The first time I saw that was during the Ashes. I don't understand what's going on. These didn't used to happen before right? I can't recall umpires doing that before.. Now I see this happening in almost every match..a no ball being checked and given as no ball after a dismissal. My question I guess is, why are umpires missing so many no balls these days?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is stupid. If the umpire misses it then the bowler must only be over the line by an inch which isn't enough to gain much of an advantage from. It is really detracting from my enjoyment of the game. WHen Doug took the final wicket in Hobart we had to wait for the noball to be checked.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally would have no problems with every single ball bowled by a seamer - so there'd be no problems with time due to run ups - being checked and letting the umps just focus up the pitch

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think the best solution is some sort of laser or tennis like system that ensures that part of the foot is behind the line. How you would do that I have no idea.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No but my question is, why are umpires missing all these no balls the first time these days? I don't recall this happening before.

Spikey

maybe they did miss the same amount of noballs. maybe because now they know they check it they're paying a little less attention.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No but my question is, why are umpires missing all these no balls the first time these days? I don't recall this happening before.
There was nothing to compare it to before this is the firs time they have started checking to the best of my knowledge,.

Spikey

ftr I think the most effective method would be to start cutting off toes when bowlers infringe.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There was nothing to compare it to before this is the firs time they have started checking to the best of my knowledge,.
No but we have had TV replays for quite some time now... and if someone got a wicket off a no ball and it wasn't detected, commentators would be talking about it repeatedly. It would be all over the place. What I am saying is I don't recall this happening before..apart from one odd test match in England in 01 which David Shephhard later acknowledged as a mistake. How come its happening so much now.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But 5 years ago with those replays they didn't really bother looking at the front foot at all. They showed a million angles but not that one.
Or is your memory different that they would always check it without necessarily telling us they were checking it and show it if the guy was over the line.

Burgey

But 5 years ago with those replays they didn't really bother looking at the front foot at all. They showed a million angles but not that one.
Or is your memory different that they would always check it without necessarily telling us they were checking it and show it if the guy was over the line.
Yeah I think they used to show them when they picked up in it in the box, but the first time I recall an umpire checking a dismissal was Bowden with Lee in India a couple of tours back.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon umpires just don't want to call marginal no-balls but feel the need to check the legality of the delivery when a marginal one takes a wicket.

Don't think it's anything to do with them being anymore lazy or missing more than they used too.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they show us replays of no balls... Sometimes after a no ball was bowled..I also remember them showing us tight calls..sometimes even after a dismissal.. And since they do show those angles, I would think that if someone got a wicket on a no ball, it would definitely be shown..

So do you think that this has always happened and its just now that the umpires are checking it after a dismissal?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon umpires just don't want to call marginal no-balls but feel the need to check the legality of the delivery when a marginal one takes a wicket.

Don't think it's anything to do with them being anymore lazy or missing more than they used too.
I am sure that is the case...but what I am interested in is..are these marginal no balls happening more now? I am sure that's not the case... so what happened to the marginal calls before? Did the umpires re check them if there was a dismissal?

Burgey

I am sure that is the case...but what I am interested in is..are these marginal no balls happening more now? I am sure that's not the case... so what happened to the marginal calls before? Did the umpires re check them if there was a dismissal?
No I don't think they did mate.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I think DRS and other aids, though beneficial for the game, are going to deteriorate umpiring standards. Not sure if complacency is the right word, but it's only human nature to relax a bit when there's a contingent avenue available.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't mind if the responsibility of a no ball is taken away from the on field umpire..if we can find a way of detecting that..because I have umpired at a few games and I know it is extremely difficult to focus on the no ball and then quickly raise your head to look for the lbw or anything else. If relieving them of this helps umpires better focus on the lbw..it would be great.

uvelocity

International Coach
ftr I think the most effective method would be to start cutting off toes when bowlers infringe.
the best thing to do would be to have a really long flap coming out of the back of your shoe, say 4 or 5 metres long and "bowl" teesra's from half way down the pitch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think DRS and other aids, though beneficial for the game, are going to deteriorate umpiring standards. Not sure if complacency is the right word, but it's only human nature to relax a bit when there's a contingent avenue available.
If anything, DRS should improve standards - who wants to be the umpire who keeps having their decisions overturned?

Front foot no-balls should be the third umpire's to check, not the on field umpire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wouldn't mind if the responsibility of a no ball is taken away from the on field umpire..if we can find a way of detecting that..because I have umpired at a few games and I know it is extremely difficult to focus on the no ball and then quickly raise your head to look for the lbw or anything else. If relieving them of this helps umpires better focus on the lbw..it would be great.
For as long as I can remember I have been saying (on here) that 3rd umpire should have no balls, field umpires get to then concentrate on the strikers end. Link the 3 umpires up with one radio frequency and include the stump mics on the same frequency.