• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint Jones to play for Papau New Guinea

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
Papa New Guinea Jones

Geraint Jones to play for Papua New Guinea

Former England Test Wicket-keeper Geraint Jones is going to represent his country of birth, Papa New Guinea, in the T20 World Cup qualifier in March.

Personally I am pleased to see him helping out PNG, as their players will no doubt be able to learn a lot from him during the tournament and in their pre-tournament training camp.

I did wonder what other people thought about ex-Internationals from Test nations going to play for Associate nations they are linked to? I have heard people moan about it before saying that these players are looking to just prolong their "International" careers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to him. Not many ex-test players would be arsed with it, I'm sure.

Can't believe it's been so long since he wore the three lions tho; tempus fugit and all that.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Far more positives than negatives I would have thought.
Agreed: he can pass on invaluable experience and he will be a great role model. Not to mention the positive impact that WC Qualification would have on PNG cricket. I hope he sticks around for the World League games if they don't clash with County fixtures.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's great that he is involved with the team but is playing for them the right thing to do?
An associate nation benefitting from the services of a player with Test and ODI experience as well as years of First Class experience in county cricket? Yeah, can't see why that would be beneficial at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
An associate nation benefitting from the services of a player with Test and ODI experience as well as years of First Class experience in county cricket? Yeah, can't see why that would be beneficial at all.
Of course it's beneficial!

I think I might have been misunderstood. And as I said, I'm glad he is involved in Papua New Guinea cricket structure and if he can bring some fans to the game, that's fantastic. I was just saying that from what little I know, does he have any ties to the country besides being born there? His family moved when he was an infant. I am not questioning the legality or him getting involved in some way with the cricket there, but as a player, I am not sure if its 'right' to take a spot away from someone in that way. Of course, you can argue that doing well at T20 will raise the profile of cricket much more and I think that's fair enough. I was just asking.

I'm all for him getting involved with coaching, outreach, whatever else and I'm probably fine with him playing too but that's what I was asking about.

Howe_zat

Audio File
does he have any ties to the country besides being born there? His family moved when he was an infant. I am not questioning the legality or him getting involved in some way with the cricket there, but as a player, I am not sure if its 'right' to take a spot away from someone in that way.
Can't win, can they?

Typical England, poaching foreign-born players off other nations, then forcing them back onto those nations, the bastards.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I will never forget hIm leading me to the county championship on ICC wag

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Always liked him as a player to be honest. Rather feel he never made the best of his abilities somehow.