• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best and worst commentator ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
best: Jonathan Agnew (by a mile)

worst: Richie Benaud, Harsha Bhogle and Michael Holding (all tied)

Anyone who could possibly challenge Mr Agnew ?

PY

International Coach
As much as Richie Benaud annoys me sometimes, to call him the worst is harsh.

Best: Aggers, CMJ, Barry Richards

Worst: Henry Blofeld (used to be absolute genius but he's beginning to lose the plot) Ian Botham and David Gower.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dermot Reeve's my favourite for his sheer inability to control his emotions on air.

I would love to see Mark Nicholas suspended by the gullet from Old Father Time.

Not that he's my favourite but Ian Chappell is brilliant. He seems so calm and composed but sometimes you can just be listening and he'll come out with a comment more likely to come from David Hookes' mouth.
And he can become quite excitable.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Best by a country mile: Aggers
Next best: Simon Hughes

In the middle: Richie (he's ok but his old-fashioned views annoy me when he keeps talking about how it's not in the spirit of the game), Dermot (gets very annoying sometimes but at least has passion).

Worst: Take your Pick from:

Ian Bishop, Ian Smith, Ravi Sastri...

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
To be honest I think some of the English and Australian commentators are very biased. This especially concerns Dermot Reeve and Richie Benaud (man are these guys boring). Frankly some of the words they use come out of their a**! The best commentators have to be Tony Greig, Michael Holding and Sanjay Manjrekar. I love Tony he is also biased against Australia (ha! ha! ha!) but he shows a true love for the game of cricket. He is very excitable and really brings ODIs to life. On the otherhand Holding and Manjrekar are calm and collective giving more objective views on the game. They have much more realistic prospects.8D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I went for Aggers because he's a nice guy, un-biased, usually finds pity for someone having a shocker, and has a really good way with words.

I saw Blowers a little while ago...although the damn picture corrupted...

Attachments

iamdavid

International Debutant
Tony Greig is the best IMO , I think Richie is really losing the plot , he will ocasionally make comments of a statistical nature which are just plain wrong (eg that fine hundred Matthew Hayden made in 1994).

However I think that Ian Botham has to be the worst commentator in the world right now by quite some distance.

He was a great player but I dont really think commentary is his thing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just goes to show that everyone has an opinion.

Personally, I really rate Mikey, although I would agree with one or two that Aggers is quite excellent. Still like Tony Cozier (for the wonderful accent).

I like Chappelli and Tanny Grig too but cringe whenever I hear either Mark Nicholas, Ian Botham or Dermot Reeve. Sorry, can't handle the jingoism.

Nick Knight's done very well as a part-time studio link for the Bangladesh one-dayers - a voice of reason, no less.

Blowers I just cannot stand any more I'm sorry to say - the guy has just become a very lame self-parody, my dear old thing.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sky Sports in NZ have decided to go for 'looks' with their new commentator Adam Parore.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Sky Sports in NZ have decided to go for 'looks' with their new commentator Adam Parore.
Altogether now.....

"When a big Kiwi p**ck
gets a four from a snick...."

Langeveldt

Soutie
Intreasting thread!

Best : Well four guys stand out - (in order of preference)

Jonathan Agnew - Lovely voice, clear speaking honest chap who can speak about an event from a completely neutral viewpoint.. Awesome at praising a guy without over celebrating him, and being honest but decent if someone is having a shocker...

Graham Fowler - Ive grown to like him as being the only excellent commentator on Sky... Love his accent, pleasant and funny bloke, oozes playing experience and a very very good coach and tactician, so excellent at describing events and players thoughts... (coaches at Durham Uni)

Kerry O'keefe - Nuff said, the most funny commentator around, brightened up many a winters night listening to the ashes....

Navjot Singh Sidhu - Still havent got tired of some of the stuff he comes up with!

The worst? Well there are only two commentators I dont like, and I loathe Bob Willis (boring) and Henry Blofeld (up himself, losing the plot.. Very stuffy old timer IMHO, who goes around giving us a very bad name every winter when we go abroad) No we dont all speak/act like Henry Blofeld!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The best: Jonathan Agnew, Ian Chappell, Ian Healy, Richie Benaud, Geoff Lawson
The worst: Mark Taylor (easily), Tony Greig (too many mistakes)

I think they're grooming Taylor to take over as head of the team when Richie retires. Let's hope it's like the royal family where everyone hopes that the Queen will outlive Charles.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
THE BEST IS KERRY O'KEEFE no doubt.
I'm his biggest fan....
I've heard Navjot Sidhu's funny as well....

As far as worst goes: Shane Warne

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
As the oversea commentator goes, I think the best we've had is actually Slats...he really seems like a nice guy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really really dislike Cozier. He talks as though he's a seasoned veteran of the game (never played it at a high level). He also makes alot of statistically inaccurate comments and inappropriate descriptions.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
best: Kerry

good: Taylor, Healy, chapell, mark waugh

worst: Warne

dunno why people like Agnew so much though

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Tony Greig has to be the worst commentator of any sport in the world. Not only is he biased, he is wrong most of the time and he continually promotes his sporting memorabilia. Can't stand him, especially when he is partnered with Bill Lawry.

The ABC radio commentators do a very good job here in Australia. Kerry O'Keefe is good if he doesn't crack too many jokes (which he laughs at himself)

Craig

World Traveller
Best: Michael Holding, Richie, Ian Chappell, Mike Atherton, David Gower (very relaxed), Geoff Lawson (he is so funny), Mark Waugh.

Worst: Dean Jones (wannabe Kerry O'Keefe), Tony Greig (never can a man talk so much crap), Ian Botham (his love affair with SH is going to far).

Middle: Shane Warne - can talk some biased woffle, but he does know his stuff when it comes to spin bowling, Manny Singh.