• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will this kid play for England?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
He's belting sub 100 dollies on a road. I'll wait to see how he goes on a J'Burg green top against Steyn or 5th day SCG against Warne before I'll call him anything but a hack.

But in all seriousness that's pretty cool.

Chubb

International Regular
You can't tell at that age. If he's smashing everyone he plays around the park at 11, then he's clearly a potential professional, but no more than that. Kids mature at different ages etc and he's got a lot of growing to do. Nice to see he's an Essex boy though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think he's done much on the subcontinent tbh. Therefore can't be anything other than average.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think he's done much on the subcontinent tbh. Therefore can't be anything other than average.
He's a batsmen. It works the other way around when it comes to them.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah all the time in Chennai. Actually seen better.
I too have seen much more than this but its way too early to say anything.

My own nephew who lives in Capetown now used to smash everyone ( U-11 at that time ) at the local ground and now he has been sent to Jo'berg by their franchise for some professional help. ( He is 16 at the moment ) So lets see if he continues to develop....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's belting sub 100 dollies on a road. I'll wait to see how he goes on a J'Burg green top against Steyn or 5th day SCG against Warne before I'll call him anything but a hack.

But in all seriousness that's pretty cool.
Top post :laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Charlie Allison AMAZING SIX YEAR OLD CRICKETER! - YouTube

I know I may be going ott, but i'm genuinely amazed by this video.

I'm not a coach, but I know some on here are. Have you ever seen a kid so young play like this?
Never seen a six-year-old at that stage, no, but he's one of an incredibly small sample size who has two older brothers playing Essex age group cricket already, and has therefore been around a cricket bat since birth, so anyone getting excited about him based on the fact that he's able to do things no other six-year-old can do is really getting falsely excited, because no other six-year-old has had the exposure and coaching that he has had.

He will score lots of runs at County Age Group level (as long as he can deal with the banter when wicketkeepers ask him if he's going to put his play-and-misses on YouTube, not that I'm going to encourage that in any way) but that, again, will be because his experience level is way up above his peers - I know my Oxfordshire U10 side will include boys for whom it's their first hardball season!

Long-term, though, this video is no indicator of "talent", which is a nonentity of a word anyway. It will depend on how long he wants to work at it, and whether he can apply himself to build innings and maintain concentration - again, the video doesn't suggest anything for or against this. Those players whom I've looked at, and have thought "professional cricketer", are those who - in addition to the technical basis that's firm, have the application and focus; e.g. a ten-year-old who averaged 100+ in a season of county cricket and batted through forty overs on more than one occasion.

There's another discussion here about the wisdom of developing, and hard-wiring, shots such as that reverse-sweep and the hook/pull/shovel (which is way off balance) at such an early age - how easy will it be for him to adjust that technique to a more reliable approach when the bowling begins to demand it?

uvelocity

International Coach
There's another discussion here about the wisdom of developing, and hard-wiring, shots such as that reverse-sweep
As far as a pre-meditated shot goes, I don't think it's such a bad one.

Looking forward to the pre-meditated reverse sweep woops it's a good ball reverse front foot defence. Honestly. Or woops it's into my ribs tuck around to fine leg.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You guys be surprised by the raw talent you'd see at the same age in the bylanes of India, and I'd imagine other parts of the subcontinent. Much more "proper" looking than this. Also a sad indictment of how the system fails to produce many more world class players, batsmen and bowlers alike. Well, Pak does spit out great bowlers periodically. I guess batting would be more of a product of the conditions.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
His head clearly falls over and his balance isn't that great either. Temperamentally doesn't look that good too, trying a reverse paddle shot so soon in the innings.