• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to England Team in Next Match Onwards

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't like this "he can't be any worse" argument. It embodies the completely wrong attitude when it comes to picking a team. If this is all anyone has to recommend a player then it's not likely to be a good decision to put him in the side. If you want to make a change, make one that you think will actively make things better.

Jacknife

International Captain
I don't like this "he can't be any worse" argument. It embodies the completely wrong attitude when it comes to picking a team. If this is all anyone has to recommend a player then it's not likely to be a good decision to put him in the side. If you want to make a change, make one that you think will actively make things better.
Well luckily the guys who actually make the calls aren't any of us, so i doubt you'll here Strauss or Flower say thing like "he can't be any worse" when picking a side. When I do it on the forum, so what, it just means I don't rate either batting but I'd actually pick Boprara atm because he'll bring more to this side than Morgan presently and like I said before knowing that Morgan's place is up for grabs may make the difference.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Botham made a point about Bopara's ability to bowl wicket to wicket seamers being useful - I'm not sure if I agree with it or if I think Botham's being particularly ********.
While Bopara's bowling would be useful in these conditions, I think the difference between his bowling here and Trott's bowling would basically be nil. It's in Australia, South Africa and England where I reckon Bopara's bowling would be better than Trott's by enough for it to be a small factor.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep, completely AWTA. If it was up to me then neither Morgan nor Bopara would be on this tour but the selectors obviously rate them or they wouldn't have picked them in the first place - either that or they think there's absolutely no-one bar the current top five and Prior who could conceivably be decent Test players right now, which is highly unlikely.

The "couldn't do any worse" theory will not be coming into it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They are two players that the England setup have liked for a good while and their places on the tour are perfectly consistent even if a lot of us would disagree with them.

The 'couldnt do any worse' argument does not apply to Morgan anyway really, I mean he is not good by any means but he is not utterly incapable of scoring runs, especially if the top order perform. I just think that Bopara is on pretty much the same level, success or failure in the next two tests is very unlikely to depend on which one them plays.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not that I have opposition to Prior and Morgan swapping ftr; I just wanted to know who weldone would bat at 7. Listing the top six with Prior seemed like a cop out way of not deciding to me, unless he wanted five bowlers (which would be particularly silly with Bres IMO).

Jacknife

International Captain
They are two players that the England setup have liked for a good while and their places on the tour are perfectly consistent even if a lot of us would disagree with them.

The 'couldnt do any worse' argument does not apply to Morgan anyway really, I mean he is not good by any means but he is not utterly incapable of scoring runs, especially if the top order perform. I just think that Bopara is on pretty much the same level, success or failure in the next two tests is very unlikely to depend on which one them plays.
Yep agree, they were always going to give Morgan a extended run in the side once they picked him and even though he's not great, he's far from the worst and on occasions shown that he can score. I think the England Management had hopped that these conditions would be more suited to him, more so than home conditions, with his ability to play spin bowling so well in one day cricket but we'll see.
The difference between the two so far in Test match cricket has been nil but imo as a batsman I would rate Ravi the better batsmen in first class cricket, that's just from watching them both in County Cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well Monty for Tremmers was a good call, anyway.

For the third test I'd definitely bring in Ravi for Morgan and might even bench Bell for Davies too. Ding Dong really looked all at sea against the spinners. It's a dead rubber, so why not take a punt?

KP survives by virtue of at least trying to be positive, even if his forward defensive does leave a massive gap between bat and pad.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would have scored more runs than Morgan in both Tests IMO. Could have helped reduce the target.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
True. You could have added just about anyone and he would have scored more runs than Morgan. Maybe another spinner. But hindsight and all.