• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to England Team in Next Match Onwards

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing much, but playing Bell at number 3 can be a long-term solution. Trott is a good batsman, but not as good as he has performed so far. Bell is probably their best batsman, and definitely their best batsman against spin. A very good candidate for no. 3 to anchor the innings from an early stage.

Also, high time Prior gets the no. 6 spot. He deserves that, and more importantly the guy playing at no. 6 for England isn't as good a batsman as Prior.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Go **** yourself English fans. Oh sorry you played a few sweep shots and got out because you went back into "****** mode" when playing spin cos you haven't played in such conditions for a while. Your team is still amazingly awesome and you have the awesomeness of Trott.

TROTT!

Chill the **** out
Such an awesome post!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
A genuine question for English fans.

Does England have any suitable candidates for the number 6 position? And I am not just talking with regard to this series. There are two batsmen in the side whose performances are not up to the mark and one of them is the captain so you can't drop him..the other fellow is Morgan..Does England have any one who is performing well in the domestic leagues? who can replace Morgan?

Jacknife

International Captain
A genuine question for English fans.

Does England have any suitable candidates for the number 6 position? And I am not just talking with regard to this series. There are two batsmen in the side whose performances are not up to the mark and one of them is the captain so you can't drop him..the other fellow is Morgan..Does England have any one who is performing well in the domestic leagues? who can replace Morgan?
Yes James Taylor.

Woodster

International Captain
I'm sure Taylor's time will come, he's just changed counties and will benefit further from playing Division One cricket and needs a better season that last year.

I am one of the few Bopara fans left it seems, and he is a decent player of spin, is wristy and will look to turn the strike around. I don't think even now England know whether he can crack Test cricket, I think if he needs a run in the side before they make their minds up enitrely. He's had periods of scoring runs and also dry periods, but he did ok in the last Test against India and deserves to be next in line.

England selectors will probably persevere with Morgan for now, prior to this Test he was considered one of our very best players of spin, it is unlikely they'll go back on that after just one Test.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would not object if they played Monty as one of the 4 or to picking Bopara, he and Morgan equally mediocre.

We all know they just need to bat better, Cook, Bell and PIetersen all failed together for the first time in a long while, they won't bad this badly again but if they can match performances of Australia and last summer is far more questionable.

Woodster

International Captain
His period of scoring runs have been against pretty cack opposition tbh.
So too his period of not scoring runs tbf, barring his first series which was a tough series in SL. I just don't think he's played enough for a definitive answer as to whether he can make it at Test level. That first series in SL is a tough assignment for even the most experienced batsman, he then flayed the West Indies, they weren't great but three consecutive tons still takes some doing. Then he failed at number three against the Aussies, he wasn't a number three at Test level then and still isn't. Just think he needs a decent run so we can be sure of what he can achieve.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So too his period of not scoring runs tbf, barring his first series which was a tough series in SL. I just don't think he's played enough for a definitive answer as to whether he can make it at Test level. That first series in SL is a tough assignment for even the most experienced batsman, he then flayed the West Indies, they weren't great but three consecutive tons still takes some doing. Then he failed at number three against the Aussies, he wasn't a number three at Test level then and still isn't. Just think he needs a decent run so we can be sure of what he can achieve.
That's a considerable understatement. They were dreadful.

With regards to his performances against Australia, I'm willing to accept that he's just not a number three batsman, but it wasn't just the fact that he failed, but that in doing so he managed to make himself look completely out of his depth at test level. He didn't cope well with the occasion at all, he had no authority or presence at the crease, no conviction in his shots etc... All in all, I looked at him, and thought "this guy is just not a test batsman". I've not seen anything of him since to suggest that this has changed, nor am I prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt any longer. If he gets another chance then he needs to start performing or his spot needs to go to someone else.

Woodster

International Captain
That's a considerable understatement. They were dreadful.

With regards to his performances against Australia, I'm willing to accept that he's just not a number three batsman, but it wasn't just the fact that he failed, but that in doing so he managed to make himself look completely out of his depth at test level. He didn't cope well with the occasion at all, he had no authority or presence at the crease, no conviction in his shots etc... All in all, I looked at him, and thought "this guy is just not a test batsman". I've not seen anything of him since to suggest that this has changed, nor am I prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt any longer. If he gets another chance then he needs to start performing or his spot needs to go to someone else.
A bit like Taylor, he could have done with a dominant season last year for Essex, but instead made some excellent scores, but had to do more than that to put real pressure on. I accept West Indies weren't great, yet they still bowled us out in the first Test for 51! He was nervous against Australia and did look poor, don't think the time spent in the IPL prior to that series did him any good either.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He did get dropped about 6745432 times against West Indies.

I think Bopara could become a mediocre test batsman, nothing more but Morgan is no better at present, his bowling might give him the edge but in reality I can't see him being much more efective than Trott

Woodster

International Captain

I think Bopara could become a mediocre test batsman, nothing more but Morgan is no better at present, his bowling might give him the edge but in reality I can't see him being much more efective than Trott
Absolutely he did ride his luck against WI, but three tons in a row is still significant. Bopara bowls nippy wicket to wicket which may help his case, but it is certainly his batting that he needs to get right next time an opportunity comes around, not sure it'll be in this series unless an injury strikes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Botham made a point about Bopara's ability to bowl wicket to wicket seamers being useful - I'm not sure if I agree with it or if I think Botham's being particularly ********.

Jacknife

International Captain

I actually think Bopara's a little better than Trott in the part timer stakes, bowls quicker and can get the ball to reverse a bit as well, having both in the team can give the Captain more options and the seamers more time to rest.
Personally I'd bring Bopara in for Morgan, he can't be any worse with the bat and he may just come in and surprise everyone, seen as Morgan's place is up for grabs in his eyes.
Having 2 part timers in Trott & Bopara would make it a bit easier to play Monty if that's what they wanted to do, never been a big fan of 2 spinners in a four man attack myself and they'll be reluctant to play 5 bowlers after today.