• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is S.Marsh the new P.Hughes?

Midwinter

State Captain
" Australian coach Mickey Arthur has backed Shaun Marsh to re-discover his form, even if the batsman is lacking in confidence at the present time.

Marsh has scored just 14 runs from four innings since returning from a serious back injury in the Boxing Day Test against India in Melbourne."

""He's got plenty of runs for Australia in him and this is just a little dip on the radar, he'll be back strong pretty soon I think."

Not so much in the style of batting or method of getting out but the support he gets from the selectors ?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I need to see him score like 30 or 40 so I can comment on his technique but he is always out before I turn on the TV.

Ruckus

International Captain
In that respect, what do you mean by the new Phil Hughes though? Hughes was given a decent amount of opportunities in the end, and it was fair enough to drop him, but he was pretty badly managed to begin with. Being picked on bad form, being dropped prematurely etc.

Marsh so far has been picked on awesome form, and has basically stayed in the team since then (bar his injury period). So are you asking whether people think he will be kept in the team for ages despite bad form, or otherwise?

Midwinter

State Captain
"Not so much in the style of batting or method of getting out but the support he gets from the selectors ?

Hughes was supposedly nominated as an opener for the next Ashes series and was persisted with beyond what his form warranted.

The comments from Arthur suggest that a similiar situation may develop with Marsh.

Do you agree ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Looked a proper cricketer when he got the chance in SL, but has looked all at sea since his back problems.

He makes it look quite easy when he's in, so it's tempting to label him a bit lazy or careless, maybe, but I dunno the full story.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PEWS has nailed it down to sometimes batting stoned, which I believe is perfectly believable

Ruckus

International Captain
"Not so much in the style of batting or method of getting out but the support he gets from the selectors ?

Hughes was supposedly nominated as an opener for the next Ashes series and was persisted with beyond what his form warranted.

The comments from Arthur suggest that a similiar situation may develop with Marsh.

Do you agree ?
Well I disagree that Hughes was persisted with for too long. Considering how he had been in and out of the side so many times without getting an extended go, he was eventually persisted with for just about the right amount of time imo (especially if you take into account his immense FC record and obvious natural talent).

I agree that Marsh will probably be kept longer than what he really deserves should he happen to fail. He seems to be a bit of a favourite amongst selectors, so...

uvelocity

International Coach
should he happen to fail? :huh:

will get one more test as a starter and be on the plane to windies, needs something big in adelaide.

Ruckus

International Captain
Cmon though, I'm not a Marsh fan at all, but it's not exactly fair write the guy off after 6 matches, where in one of those he scored 140 odd. I'd definately bring in Watson when he is fit over Marsh, but it's too early to tell if will truly fail at test level (the early alarm bells notwithstanding).

uvelocity

International Coach
I like him, and would give him another test (winning team, credits in the bank)

but last few knocks are fail in my mind

Sylvester

State Captain
There was no support when he was dropped for the 3rd Ashes match. After that it was only logical he would be backed as opener, they had just dumped our 2nd best performing batsmen in the past 3 years so they dam well better be backing the guy who replaced him. Hughes basically had 3 test series before being dropped (not counting the Ashes as he was an injury replacement), that certainly isn't being kept beyond his welcome.

Joao

U19 12th Man
No, not the new P Hughes.

I said it after his first few tests (with the 140 + 80 + 40odd in South Africa) to a mate who denied it claiming he's the next best something and have since seen it mentioned by at least two others on here. He is the next M North and in my opinion, not as good.

If at 29 you still only average 38 in FC cricket with <10 centuries I am not sure why anyone wouldh think it will all fix itself by playing at the top level. The only thing he has over north is he looks pretty when he plays well. Other than that, they are the same. All or nothing and nothing too often.

P Hughes I still reckon will be gun.