Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Murali Karthik

International Coach
    Murali Kartik's test match record:

Home Ave: 33.38 SR: 91.50 E/R: 2.19
    Away Ave: 42.00 SR: 153.00 E/R: 1.65
    Overall Ave: 34.33 SR: 98.33 E/R: 2.09

Not a good start...
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 26-11-2003 at 03:04 PM.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

4 tests more than 2 years back....his current form is what has to count.....

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    yea mate thats about 2 years back where he was only given the chance to play 4 tests.

Karthik has matured a lot after that and has been bowling really well of late.. and im sure he would be successful..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

International Coach
    5 of his 9 wickets are tailenders...2 of his 4 tests were against Zim and Bangladesh...the 2 worst teams in history...and still his SR is worse than Giles...He keepse runs down, but thats it...even in FC his SR is 67.5...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by anilramavarma
    No, he was accurate, but he was also flighting the ball and was quite attacking. So, it is a premature judgement to pass on a player who has been denied his fair chance again and again and has almost always done a good job with the few chances he got.
    What, like losing The First Test almost single-handed in 2000\01 against South Africa?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

5 of his 9 wickets are tailenders...2 of his 4 tests were against Zim and Bangladesh...the 2 worst teams in history...and still his SR is worse than Giles...He keepse runs down, but thats it...even in FC his SR is 67.5...
    you are lost my friend

karthik is better than giles.. on a scale of 1-10 , 10 being good karthik is probably 7 from what ive seen all this time.. and giles is probably 4

U19 Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
    yea mate thats about 2 years back where he was only given the chance to play 4 tests.

Karthik has matured a lot after that and has been bowling really well of late.. and im sure he would be successful..
    I suppose it would be tactless to mention his figures when he bowled against South Africa in July: 29-5-120-1. Or that in the other three matches he played on the tour, the only side he gave any trouble to was a Durham line-up missing their star batsmen, or at least what pass for star batsmen in the Chester-le-Street area.

He has all the hallmarks of the classic Indian spinner, pretty good at home, innocuous cannon fodder abroad.

Had he gone to Australia, he'd have gone home as Murali Karted.

Cheers,

Mike

Tim
    The problem with Vettori is that he is not an attacking spinner, he usually bowls defensively because our pace bowlers get smacked around.

Now that we're getting a few decent quicks, he might be able to work on those poor averages...but it is also up to Fleming, he seems to prefer Vettori to just create pressure from one end.

Tim
    But I don't expect Vettori to ever get fantastic averages because here in NZ he will never really get the chance to bowl often enough & conditions just don't suit the spinners unless you're world-class like Warne or Murali and can weave your magic anywhere.

Its not coincidence that Kumble & Harbhajan have great home averages and extremely poor overseas averages...if India continue to produce pitches like the ones in the recent test series v NZ then I can see that changing.

I think Vettori is a bloody good spinner because he's basically relying on guile & variation out of the hand than anything off the pitch..making him useful in all conditions. But as I said earlier, he's unlikely to take a truckload of wickets at this stage anyway because Fleming prefers to use him as a defensive option.

\
    He has all the hallmarks of the classic Indian spinner, pretty good at home, innocuous cannon fodder abroad.
    thats the difference most people expect him to be that since he is from the sub continent .. and my opinion is unbiased being from new zealand..
    I feel he is a totally different bowler now.. and its not like he was spinning it for miles in india..
    Im a spinner aswell .. and going to different pitches to play doesnt change the basic of spin set in my mind.. the right grip .. flight and a lot of thinking..
    And i reckon karthik has done that a lot of late and he has matured from what he was.. Some might call harbajan a one hit wonder as he isint doing much of late.. but every bowler has their good and bad times aswell..
    And as long as you can get things right then you will be on a roll..things went right for him in the aus tour to india..morale goes up..and you do really well.. that reality..

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by halsey
    .the 2 worst teams in history
    Unfair to say that. It's not like they've been playing for decade upon decade. They started for all intents and purposes within a decade or so. I can't be bothered to look up stats, but from memory, New Zealand started its Test career poorly too.

So did the West Indies and Sri Lanaka.
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 28-11-2003 at 04:13 PM.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

U19 Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
    \

thats the difference most people expect him to be that since he is from the sub continent .. and my opinion is unbiased being from new zealand..
    Well, some people just live up to expectations, don't they?

Murali Karthik has sucked rocks just about every time he's bowled outside India, although he's looked reasonably OK at home.

If you don't like the suggestion that he's a standard Indian spinner, try standard English spinner: bowls vaguely OK in the sub-continent but is totally carp anywhere else.

Cheers,

Mike

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tim
    The problem with Vettori is that he is not an attacking spinner, he usually bowls defensively because our pace bowlers get smacked around.
    He also doesn't have the pitches to bowl on really does he.

Similarly to Giles (and Tufnell before him)

I firmly believe that all 3 would have far better records if they were playing so much on Asian wickets.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Tim
    Well its like the opposite in NZ, the seamers get good averages because the conditions suit them.
    I guess though, that Tuffey proved he could bowl well on Sub-continent pitches...Kumble in all of his years as a test player has largely flopped outside of India.

Vettori will probably never get his average below 30 simply because he just won't get the opportunities to bowl often enough in NZ...and its not like you have a tour to the sub-continent every year.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Are the conditions in NZ really that helpful to spinners then?

I would have said they're about as close to English conditions as you can get in the World?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information