• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Zimbabwe in New Zealand 2012

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
NZ XI v Zimbabweans at Gisborne
Jan 21-23, 2012
Thu Jan 26 - Mon Jan 30
10:30 local | 21:30 GMT 1st Test - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe
McLean Park, Napier
Fri Feb 3
11:00 local | 22:00 GMT 1st ODI - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe
University Oval, Dunedin
Mon Feb 6
11:00 local | 22:00 GMT 2nd ODI - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe
Cobham Oval, Whangarei
Thu Feb 9

14:00 local | 01:00 GMT 3rd ODI - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe
McLean Park, Napier
Sun Feb 12
19:00 local | 06:00 GMT 1st T20 - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe
Eden Park, Auckland
Tue Feb 14
19:00 local | 06:00 GMT 2nd T20 - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe
Seddon Park, Hamilton

Zimbabwe's final international assignment for this summer and they'll be looking for an upset. It now seems very much unlikely as one of Zimbabwe's key players Vusi Sibanda isn't travelling to NZ after refusing a contract with local franchise to play Grade Cricket in Aus.
Zimbabwe Squad:
Brendan Taylor (capt), Regis Chakabva, Elton Chigumbura, Graeme Cremer (Test only), Kyle Jarvis, Hamilton Masakadza, Shingirai Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Tinotenda Mawoyo, Keegan Meth, Forster Mutizwa, Raymond Price, Tatenda Taibu (wk), Prosper Utseya (limited-overs only), Brian Vitori, Malcolm Waller:@:wacko:

Don't know if the Kiwis have named a squad yet. I personally(being a Zimbo) would dread a green pitch with a four man pace attack on the Kiwi side that demolished the Aussies not so long ago. We might also see Derek de Boorder or van Wyk coming in for Reece Young who unfortunately hasn't made the most of his opportunity.
My NZ Test XI:
McCullum, Guptill, Williamson, Taylor(c), Brownlie, Vettori, de Boorder/van Wyk(wk), Bracewell, Southee, Boult, Phantom Martin.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure you will do fine without him (Sibanda) Bangers beat us without Tamim. I would shoot for a respectable draw in Napier. If you want a win you will have to bowl your hearts out on that pitch.

I see an exciting test match, good ODIs and a whitewash for NZ in the 20 20s. I reckon we will go better in the slog fests.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If it's at Napier I reckon it's likely that New Zealand will take two spinners into the game, which they usually tend to do, regardless of how lifeless the pitch is. Will be interesting to see who they lump for if that's the way they go. Can't see Patel getting another chance.

New Zealand to win both T20's, go 2-1 in the ODI's and steamroll Zim in the test.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really glad to see Cremer's name there for the Tests. Who will open most likely instead of Sibanda?

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
So Sibanda missing out. Expect to see some good contest here, a repeat of that last Test between the two teams would be awesome!

Mike5181

International Captain
Zimbabwe is definitely one of those countries i want to see progress in test cricket so hopefully we see a good contest. Brendan Taylor seems like such a nice bloke as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Has Ervine and Mpofu been dropped?

These 2 close to selection for Zimbo's?

Glen Querl | Zimbabwe Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Gary Ballance | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Both spent a bit of time in England.
Craig Ervine and Mpofu are both injured.

Ballance would have been playing ages ago but he's trying to get picked for England instead. Querl I'm not sure on, but I would've thought he'd have been picked here if he was eligible so I'm perhaps a similar story with him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really glad to see Cremer's name there for the Tests. Who will open most likely instead of Sibanda?
None of the players in the squad open domestically anymore bar Mawoyo but Hamilton has done plenty of it before; either him or Mutizwa I'd be guessing. Taylor used to open as well but I doubt he'll be moved from four now.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Ballance would have been playing ages ago but he's trying to get picked for England instead. Querl I'm not sure on, but I would've thought he'd have been picked here if he was eligible so I'm perhaps a similar story with him.
So annoying about Ballance, not going to play for England apart from maybe the odd game so i'd much rather he was playing and improving the Zim side.

Won't really miss Mpofu though, big chance for Meth maybe?

SeamUp

International Coach

Would be great to see Zim back as competitive as possible. Hopefully Ballance is clever and chooses Zim.

Sean Ervince would only have made them stronger if he made a different decision before WC.

I have more hope in Zim than the Bangers to be more competitive all around the world in test cricket. Thats for sure.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
None of the players in the squad open domestically anymore bar Mawoyo but Hamilton has done plenty of it before; either him or Mutizwa I'd be guessing. Taylor used to open as well but I doubt he'll be moved from four now.
I was thinking Hamilton would move up to open. The team will look something like:
1. Mawoyo
2. Masakadza
3. Taylor
4. Taibu(wk)
5. Mutizwa
6. Waller
7. Chigumbura
8. S.Masakadza/Meth/Cremer
9. Price
10. Vitori
11. Jarvis

The other crazy option will be giving Stuey Matsikenyeri a shot up the order, but I don't see that happening.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The politics over in Zimbabwe kinda screwed them, regardless of how much they tried to fix it. It's gonna take a lot to convince Ervine, Ireland or Ballance to play for them again.

Flem274*

123/5
Thoughts on the New Zealand XI?

Name an A team imo, or something close to it. Maybe let Ryder and a few of the bowlers battle it out. Perhaps even play a few keepers and have them swap the gloves around.

Or alternatively we could play the test team to get them back in FC mode after the HRV cup.:ph34r: