• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Zimbabwe in New Zealand 2012

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, maybe, but that's a bit unfair on Kruger. He should have every chance to fully state his case for selection.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Based on this, I'd chuck a few dollars on Flynn cruising into the top order if there's a spot up for grabs when he returns.
Could be a red-hot chance, although it's tough to see a lot of gaps in an order that is going to feature McCullum/Guptill/Williamson/Taylor/Brownlie/Ryder/Watling/Vettori or a make-up of the above for a long while.

Van Wyk making way for players who are actually going to make the field on Thursday. Tee hee.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anyone else think that the selectors are seriously looking at picking Wells instead of Boult? I doubt he would be added to the squad just for cover.

Mike5181

International Captain
Very unlikely I'd say. Trent Boult bowled rather well in the last test match and there's been talk of the four seamers + Vettori for a while now.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This game better not have first class standard. It's a ****ing joke the way the NZ batsmen are treating it. Retire out or don't ****ing retire at all.

Flametree

International 12th Man
So what's the consensus on the keeping issue? Did everyone catch the many articles in the Herald on the subject? I don't agree with all of it (Paul Lewis in particular seems to have some dodgy logic), but it's nice to see the coverage about cricket - must be because Super-something rugby is yet to start...

My own view is that it doesn't really matter who they go with. I suspect whoever is picked will average in the mid-to-high 20's in the long term, and be a decent-though-not-brilliant keeper. I personally would pick van Wyk, as I think he's earned it through several good seasons at the first class level and if any of the bunch are going to average 35-40, I think it might be him. Mind you, I would have also said that about Young 6 months ago and I wouldn't really have complained if Young had been given the rest of the summer.

I also suspect van Wyk is less likely to drop a clanger than Watling, who may well be a very good keeper, but I think you need to do more than the occasional one-day match to keep your skills up.

NZ has always had such good keepers in my time - Wadsworth, Lees, Smith, Parore, McCullum. Even the stopgaps like Blain and Germon were pretty decent, and the likes of McSweeney and Nevin couldn't even get one test. We'll pass a blind eye over the 79 tour to England with Edwards and Edgar... So it's a bit unusual to have this situation with four or five (de Boorder, McGlashan?) decent options but no standout.