• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Zimbabwe in New Zealand 2012

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
If CdG has a decent run in the T20s, I'd imagine he'll be in line for a call up to the ODI squad for the South African series. Seems pretty gun in the field.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Felt for Brendan Taylor during his speech, he was desperately trying to say something positive about his team when in reality they were humiliated.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Felt for Brendan Taylor during his speech, he was desperately trying to say something positive about his team when in reality they were humiliated.

I thought it was a good speech - but yes not one he would have enjoyed giving.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to know where we're at but great to blood new guys, at least get a semblance of an idea of what they're about.

I would suggest Zimbabwe hits the outfield with a bat and a ball and 11 pairs of hands before Saturday. And that Brendan Taylor prepares to be the donkey again.

Mike5181

International Captain
Performance-wise what did everyone think of Latham, Ellis, Nethula and Bates in their debut series?

And which guys if any out of those players would you select to play against South Africa?

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I did like the look of Latham for a kid. Given that he's only going to get better, I'd say he would be the top of my list of the best of the newbies. I think we pretty much got what was expected from Ellis or Bates, and Nethula was probably sub-par for about 14 overs of his 20.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I did like the look of Latham for a kid. Given that he's only going to get better, I'd say he would be the top of my list of the best of the newbies. I think we pretty much got what was expected from Ellis or Bates, and Nethula was probably sub-par for about 14 overs of his 20.
yep good post. I only watched Tarun's last few overs tonight which were good. But the commentators claimed he bowled darts again in his first spell due to nerves.

Latham needs to improve his off side play - but again perhaps he has all the shots in the book and was too nervous to execute it is hard to tell as I only watched his 48.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloody hell, the commentators raved about some average to okay bowling from Nethula. It's like they cannot believe a leggie's out there in the Black.

Latham - well, I was impressed even by his short innings today. How often do we see a top order batsman come out and not time his shots from ball one - especially with only an over left to bat. Looked in great form.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Performance-wise what did everyone think of Latham, Ellis, Nethula and Bates in their debut series?

And which guys if any out of those players would you select to play against South Africa?
Latham looked the goods, but then I've had first-hand experience of his batting so not really surprised tbh.
Ellis was ok, batted well in the first game - unsure if he is a long term solution once Oram goes.
Nethula was definitely nervous, would like to see him in the longer form of the game. It's a real shame SA aren't plying any sort of first class warm-up fixture.
Bates did everything that was asked of him, hopefully Zimbabawe put us under some pressure at the death in the T20s so we can see how that aspect of his game goes at the higher level.

Would have Latham in the ODI squad and potentially Bates depending on the form of Southee. Ellis may well get a go given Oram's calf niggle.

On a different note, what has everyone thought of McCullum's captaincy so far? Any chance he'll make the position his own? If results keep going the way they have then I'd imagine Ross will be pretty damn eager to get back in the side.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I always advocated McCullum as captain over Ross, although he's certainly done nothing wrong. I felt Brendon was exactly what we needed - not afraid to lose in order to win. But in all fairness, Ross has showed a similar mindset.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
BMac in the Herald said:
We've seen guys in the past who've come into international cricket and almost played a different role to what they got picked for. That was one of the big things that Wrighty (coach John Wright) and I discussed, making sure the guys who are going to get opportunities for the first time this series were still able to play in familiar positions.
:notworthy

Finally the world makes sense.