• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wickets and hundreds celebrations: today vs yesterday

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
What gives with the over the top celebrations these days? They seem to be getting more and more extreme as the years go by.

Watching the Aussie cricket team this summer they go absolutely berserk, slapping each other on the ass and ruffling everybody's hair.

Aussie celebration head butt

Pattinson he's electric!

Anyway - I can't find any others and this isn't really a hate campaign on Aussie but watching them and some other teams are the over the top celebrations a way of psyching out the opposition?

P.S. forgot the David Warner hundy the other day - fine knock with an equally jizz-tastic celebration.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What gives with the over the top celebrations these days? They seem to be getting more and more extreme as the years go by.

Watching the Aussie cricket team this summer they go absolutely berserk, slapping each other on the ass and ruffling everybody's hair.

Aussie celebration head butt

Pattinson he's electric!

Anyway - I can't find any others and this isn't really a hate campaign on Aussie but watching them and some other teams are the over the top celebrations a way of psyching out the opposition?

P.S. forgot the David Warner hundy the other day - fine knock with an equally jizz-tastic celebration.
A greater sense of competition for the simple reason that there are more people you are competing with for a place. So when you achieve something you want to achieve, you react that way. You will mostly see the 'newish' players celebrating like that because they have a point to prove. We see Imran Tahir celebrate like that because he has waited all his life to play international cricket, he moved to another country, found a spot, was not getting enough overs, with growing talks about him not doing the containing job, so when he gets a wicket..its understandable where he is coming from.

Similarly with Warner, people have always questioned his test credentials..so when he gets a knock like that..he would react that way..

Midwinter

State Captain
It is simply requested by television, that is all.

Television wants to see more action, requested players show some emotion, now it has become the norm.

The Packer era led the revolution in televising cricket therefore Australians led the way in performing to the cameras.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
It is simply requested by television, that is all.

Television wants to see more action, requested players show some emotion, now it has become the norm.

The Packer era led the revolution in televising cricket therefore Australians led the way in performing to the cameras.
Packer era started over 25 years ago, 'over the top' celebrations are something a lot newer. The first one I really noticed was Michael Slater in the 90's but lately they have ramped up a lot.

Midwinter

State Captain
You never saw Dennis Lillee or Rod Marsh appealing ?

What about Merv Hughes ?

It has become more exaggerated over the years.

Apparently Ritchie Benaud was one who promoted it.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
...slapping each other on the ass...
Weird! Could never figure out why a straight bloke would do that to another. :wacko:

EDIT: More crazy is men kissing their teammates to celebrate a wicket. Moin used to kiss Saqlain, IIRC I've seen ABdeV kiss Makhaya on a couple of occasions. Seriously, WTF?

Last edited:

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Weird! Could never figure out why a straight bloke would do that to another. :wacko:

EDIT: More crazy is men kissing their teammates to celebrate a wicket. Moin used to kiss Saqlain, IIRC I've seen ABdeV kiss Makhaya on a couple of occasions. Seriously, WTF?
Asian countries are more likely to give a kiss

uvelocity

International Coach

don't knock it til you've tried it :ph34r:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love the way Tahir celebrates, but I suspect as time goes by people will start getting annoyed by it. Which is unfair because it isn't really any of their business.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Probably influenced a lot by the player doing the celebrating too. Malinga could celebrate a wicket by drop kicking a baby, and I wouldn't mind because he's so likeable.

Ruckus

International Captain
Probably influenced a lot by the player doing the celebrating too. Malinga could celebrate a wicket by drop kicking a baby, and I wouldn't mind because he's so likeable.
I think it's a lot to do with the occasion as well. Tahir celebrates the wicket of a number 11, even in a totally pressure free match situation, like he has just knocked over the top 3 with a hattrick.

I personally find his style of celebration pretty annoying anyway, but if he celebrates like crazy when he gets the opposition's best player out I don't mind half as much.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that's what is so jarring/funny about Tahir's celebrations. There's also the fact that he goes totally bonkers and doesn't really celebrate with his teammates so much as go on a run of his own.

uvelocity

International Coach
love tahir's celebrations, he doesn't do it to be a ****, he does it because he loves taking wickets.

smash84

The Tiger King
really find Tahir's celebrations OTT.....quite annoying at most times (since he mostly gets tailenders)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not just wickets and runs though is it, the way England players touch each other up after a good bit of fielding which some Aussies have done too lately is a bit OTT.