• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

is india the least 'sporting' nation in the world??

is india there a country worse than india at sport?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys in Mumbai are really lucky, school cricket is very well looked after there. I've been to Delhi and Bangalore on cricket tours and the school grounds there were fantastic as well.

shankar

International Debutant
Success in cricket is different from other sports. It doesn't depend solely on a base population with the requisite physical skills. It also depends on a system which hones certain skills to the exclusion of others. The Indian domestic system produces batsmen who are good at playing on slow, low bounce wickets against spinners and medium pace swing bowlers. I think it produces such batsmen in numbers proportional to the playing population. In terms of bowling the system produces, because of the wickets, spinners and because of IMO the SG ball, medium pace swing merchants.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
not a troll thread. i love india and the indian fans but..

india have only ever been good at cricket and even at that they have never been all that good they went through like a decade of not being able to win a single test away and even when they were no 1 they absolutely had no depth. with a billion ppl u'd think they'd be able to find a few players even with all the poverty and the academic achievements being rated higher...
they are also absolute pants at every other sport i don't think they have won a gold medal at olympics in decades and i have not heard of them comepeting in any other sport.

what is the reason for this? (not a troll thread genuinely curious)
India is good in Carom as USA in Ice Hockey.

Shri

Mr. Glass
True in theory only though -- you need facilities and a sensible method to progress. I'll give you a personal example. I lived in Baroda when I was young, and we have our own Ranji team. We had school teams and neighrbood teams but it was tennis balls (no place to play with a real cricket ball). So 99% of schools had no facility to play real cricket - and these are schools frequented by middle class people. If you asked the best player in our team how he'd try out for a Ranji side, or even get involved, I'd bet you he would have no idea. Nobody I knew played with real cricket balls, and maybe three people out of hundreds had even stood on a real cricket pitch. Basically, you had to be lucky or know a way to even get into the 'structure'. There is no natural school -> club -> FC progression.

I think that 10% really doesn't mean anything. Even 1% would be on the high end in terms of actual access.

Up until recently, the Indian test team pretty much came from Mumbai - and not even close to all of the socioeconomic classes of Mumbai.

Everybody watches cricket, and most kids play cricket but there is no way to identify talent and, you know, give them an actual cricket ball and a pitch, let alone give them coaching.
Yeah true and I can tell you the situation has not improved one bit from experience.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
India is good in Carom as USA in Ice Hockey.
Canada is comfortably ahead of the US in Ice Hockey (and the Swedes, Russians, Czechs, etc. :p)

In fact, a good portion of talented young American and European players come to Canada to play their Hockey. One reason for that is because the brand of hockey played at the Canadian junior level is more similar to that played in the NHL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Canada are only better than the USA in hockey because Happy Gilmore decided to take up golf for a living.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Success in cricket is different from other sports. It doesn't depend solely on a base population with the requisite physical skills. It also depends on a system which hones certain skills to the exclusion of others. The Indian domestic system produces batsmen who are good at playing on slow, low bounce wickets against spinners and medium pace swing bowlers. I think it produces such batsmen in numbers proportional to the playing population. In terms of bowling the system produces, because of the wickets, spinners and because of IMO the SG ball, medium pace swing merchants.
So how come Pakistan keeps producing quality tearaways? Not much difference in pitches I'd think.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm pretty sure I just saw Yadav and 2 other Indian players (I think the other one was Gambhir) at Nandos two tables away from me. Honestly, if you didn't know them you'd never guess they were sportsmen. Actually, Yadav was ok.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure I just saw Yadav and 2 other Indian players (I think the other one was Gambhir) at Nandos two tables away from me. Honestly, if you didn't know them you'd never guess they were sportsmen. Actually, Yadav was ok.
What did they order?