• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Bowling; India v Pak v NZ v WI

Teja.

Global Moderator
Know there'a general thread about this but I think there's a very specific interesting question to be asked.

It's rather obvious that the South African, Aussie and English bowling line-ups are comfortably better than the rest but in what order would you rate India's bowling order relative to Pakistan, NZ and WI.

Khan/Kumar/Yadav/Ashwin seems very very exciting to me and I'd have them fourth ftr. Will then have Pakistan, NZ and then WI.

The question is on your ratings on how they'll perform in the next two years ftr.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
West Indies currently fourth in the world for mine. Also have the best established depth.

****ed if I know where to put the rest. Zaheer could break at any moment.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pakistan (Ajmal/Gul/F/F - any fast bowler they randomly pick will be better than India's)
India
NZ
WI

in that order.

Flem274*

123/5
Just read the second bit.

I have no idea how they will go in the next two years. Martin must surely be in his last four tests, Pakistan could pull a Pakistan at any moment (either a good or a bad one) and Zaheer leaving is a big hole (I like Yadav though. Never seen Praveen, but please get rid of Ishant).

Once again, the Windies have the most stable platform but they have big injury worries with Taylor and Edwards.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Picking who will do well over the next two years is a tough ask. Just twelve months ago who would predict the impact of Ashwin, Yadiv, Bracewell and Bishoo.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Roach, Taylor and Boult have the best assets of the pace bowlers I've seen (never seen Junaid or Cheema), but in cricket it rarely works out like it looks. Taylor hasn't played for yonks, Roach has lost all form and Boult has an injury history.

Will put my money on Bracewell, Gul, Ajmal and Rampaul to be the best of the bunch. I really like Yadav but India rarely produce successful quicks so history is against him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Roach is seriously not very good IMO. He's got some raw ability so he might get better but he's legitimately just not Test standard right now for mine.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India at home are so much stronger than away. They are definitely back to the 90's standard of late with their inept displays abroad. PK would do a lot to help the side though.

Pakistan, unknown quantity, been doing well winning against the lesser sides but untested against better ones. Find out a bit more about them over next few weeks.

NZ are tough to judge as they play so few tests. Look like they have makings of half decent attack but so few games to go on it is tricky to judge.

WI are workmanlike, no more no less. Need Edwards to fire to have a chance to win games and he is so hot and cold it untrue.

All much of a muchness though I think Pakistan have more potential than the rest with their ever reliable ability of finding a paceman from nowhere.

Uppercut

I'll put Pakistan at the top, on paper it's tight but in practice they seem perfectly capable of plucking a better fast bowling attack than the other three out of thin air at any given moment. India are better than the other two and I think the West Indies have bowled pretty well lately with almost no batting to back them up so I'll give them the nod ahead of NZ.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Know there'a general thread about this but I think there's a very specific interesting question to be asked.

It's rather obvious that the South African, Aussie and English bowling line-ups are comfortably better than the rest but in what order would you rate India's bowling order relative to Pakistan, NZ and WI.

Khan/Kumar/Yadav/Ashwin seems very very exciting to me and I'd have them fourth ftr. Will then have Pakistan, NZ and then WI.

The question is on your ratings on how they'll perform in the next two years ftr.
India

I am not going to talk about Zaheer because I don't think he is going to play for too long..at least at the Test level.. I am impressed with Yadav..would like him to work on his fitness and perhaps increase his pace a bit more..
Dont think much of Ashwin as of now
Pravin Kumar is a good bowler who can move the ball.

New Zealand

I have a very high regard for Martin but he is not going to play for too long.
Havent seen enough of the rest.

West Indies

Roach had impressed me initially because he was quick but he is not showing the kind of improvement he needs to show to be a good bowler at this level. Fidel Edwards has been around for too long and he also doesn't seem to be getting to the next level.
Bishoo is a good prospect for the future..hope he gets the right guidance.
Rampaul should last for a few years and he should improve.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Roach is seriously not very good IMO. He's got some raw ability so he might get better but he's legitimately just not Test standard right now for mine.
Just going through a rough patch we hope, he was sensational in Sri-lanka on dead pitches in late 2010, got man of the series aswell after picking up 15 wickets, saw glimpses of his old self in the ODI's vs India recently though so there's still hope, we're banking on him having a stormer in the four day competition coming up next month before the Aussies come to town, if he doesn't get his act together though i think Shannon Gabriel (who is an absolute speed demon) just might replace him while Sammy's place is under serious threat from Carlos Brathwaite who is a tall, quick lad who gets lots of bounce.

As for this thread, with Paks spinners they'd probably be top but we're not far behind imo, especially if we get rid of Sammy.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
When was the last time Pakistans best bowler was a spinner?

Breath of fresh air imo.
Not that I can think of - but there have been plenty of times when their spin attack was better than their pace attack. They have just as rich a history of spin bowling as anywhere since they became a Test nation.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies currently fourth in the world for mine. Also have the best established depth.

****ed if I know where to put the rest. Zaheer could break at any moment.
So can almost half of the West Indies bowlers, tbf. They are as injury prone as ZAK.

flibbertyjibber

Not that I can think of - but there have been plenty of times when their spin attack was better than their pace attack. They have just as rich a history of spin bowling as anywhere since they became a Test nation.
Apart from maybe the odd game when an Imran/Wasim/Waqar/Shoaib were injured then never in my lifetime.

I guess it is only true now though by default as if they hadn't lost the chumps then Pakistan would have one of the best attacks in the world.

smash84

The Tiger King
Apart from maybe the odd game when an Imran/Wasim/Waqar/Shoaib were injured then never in my lifetime.

I guess it is only true now though by default as if they hadn't lost the chumps then Pakistan would have one of the best attacks in the world.
With the fixers in the side it would definitely give tough competition to England and SA as the best attack in the world.

Beleg

International Regular

in the last thirty years alone

qadir, mushtaq, saqlain, iqbal qasim were better than any of the spinners operating today
genuine wicket taking options (with the exception mebbe of qasim outside the subcontinent)

compared with

australia - warne, macgill, mebbe hogg (i rated him quite highly but didn't really get to see a lot of him)
england - giles, swann?? (not convinced yet)
west indies - none
india - kumble, harbajhan, raju (a better all-round bowler than harbajhan imo)
nz - vettori (mediocrity personified)
bangladesh - shakib
zimbabwe - paul strang
south africa - adams, symcox
sri lanka - murali, dharmasena... herath?

and this isn't taking into account folks like arshad khan and mohammad hussain that never really got a proper chance in the first place owing to pakistan's bowling riches :)