• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is AA that vital to India?

Craig

World Traveller
Well he must be! The Indian selectors made an outrageous descision not to pick AA for last night's game and not for the WC final, and it has made me think is that vital to the Indian team?

In the two games he didnt play in Australia made huge totals and Ponting made runs. I know he is good, but not that good.

I'm sure Marc was ****ed off when he found that out :lol: :lol: :P :P :lol: :D :P :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My feeling wrt AA are well documented - regardless of the AAAS hype, I think he is actually a good ODI player, and his lower order batting (or even pinch-hitting) should mean he gets a place every game.

Craig

World Traveller
I would agree.

He is a cricketer when he bowls or bats, he is making something happen.

masterblaster

International Captain
Well in test matches he may not be that important, but lets have a look at Agarkar's ODI stats shall we?

Firstly his age, he is only a young man and only 26 years of age, so he still has around 8-9 years left in his FC and hopefully International Career.

ODI Batting:

Matches: 119
Innings: 75
Runs: 854
100's: 0
50's: 2
HS: 95
Average: 16.74
SR: 88.77

My Verdict: Very useful I must say, coming in at no.8 or no.9 for India, his strike rate is perfect for those sort of scenarios. An aggressive hitter and useful run maker who has bailed India out of trouble on many occassions. That high score of 95 was made at no.3 against the West Indies. He has proven himself to be an able all rounder, just is a little inconsistent with the bat. The talent is certainly there, just needs that consistency, which Im sure he will develop when he gets older and wiser.

ODI Bowling:

Matches: 119
Overs: 982.3
Maidens: 56
Runs: 5005
Wickets: 179
Average: 27.96
SR: 32.9
Economy Rate: 5.09
4 Wicket Hauls: 8
5 Wicket Hauls: 0

My Verdict: Agarkar is a fine, fine bowler. He is genuinely talented and is one of the premier 'strike bowlers' in the world. His strike rate compares with the best in the business, and his 179 wickets in just 119 games testifies his talent and proves that he is always looking to pick up wickets. A disadvantage is that his economy rate is a little high. This proves that he is always looking for wickets and doesn't believe in bowling defensively. He tends to bowl a lot in the death overs and he tends to bowl aggressively, which tends to inflate that RPO rate. Once again, consistency is the key for Agarkar, but his current record is quite impressive.

Overall Verdict: A genuine talent, he has better ODI statistics Internationally than some other all rounders, yet he still undeservedly gets so much 'flack' from fans all around the globe. A real important player, and a definite match winner with both bat and ball, he just needs that touch of self belief, confidence and consistency to develop into a true all rounder.

CricketWeb members sometimes are a bit too harsh on this man, and his statstics speak louder than words. If I were Ajit, I'd be very proud of those ODI statistics.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, some sort of digging competition going on here, you two wouldn't be after Alan Titchmarshs' role on Ground Force would you?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Any cricketer that manages to dig himself out of the hole he was in during teh 1999/2000 Australian tour deserves my admiration. I really felt for the guy while others were laughing or shaking their heads.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The way I've seen it the Australians have always seemed to have a definate respect for Agarkar the bowler - and total derision for Agarkar the batsman. Funny, he's always saved his best with the ball in Tests for them.