• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes To Indian Team in Next Series Onwards

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the other hand it could allow them to just do nothing
Playing against test nations at home isn't 'nothing'..

People also assuming that we'll be winning every series at home which might not be the case for all we know.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Really?

Dravid's decline has been apparent for a while now(2 to 3 years) and he has gone through periods where he has looked clearly past it and slow/woeful. While Sachin was scoring big runs in the same period and even carrying the batting on occasions.

Even now when Sachin is having somewhat of a blip after the SA tour last year, he is still averaging about high 40's and not looking bad at all. Just keeps getting starts and even 50's. Think, to a degree that milestone and the pressure regarding it at home(and now away) is playing a part too.

Dravid has to be the first to go now for me, with India playing at home(or Srilanka) till end of 2013 after this.
This post is a joke, right?

stuw

Cricket Spectator
Really?

Dravid's decline has been apparent for a while now(2 to 3 years) and he has gone through periods where he has looked clearly past it and slow/woeful. While Sachin was scoring big runs in the same period and even carrying the batting on occasions.

Even now when Sachin is having somewhat of a blip after the SA tour last year, he is still averaging about high 40's and not looking bad at all. Just keeps getting starts and even 50's. Think, to a degree that milestone and the pressure regarding it at home(and now away) is playing a part too.

Dravid has to be the first to go now for me, with India playing at home(or Srilanka) till end of 2013 after this.

Playing in SC till end of 2013, so 2 spinners will play in any case in most matches. So the seamers have 2 spots for which Zaheer, Praveen and Yadav should be the first 3 for. Ishant the 4th and Aaron should be in and around as well. They may try out some others as well.
Well dravid averages 55 for the last 3 years including 10 hundreds!!when did an avg of 55 which is actually greater than his career avg of 52 become woeful?Only sachin has scored more runs than him in indian team during this period of 3 years.There obviously cannot be a reason to drop dravid ahead of the likes of laxman and sehwag.I would like to know your reasons if there is any.Sachin is looking good but hope he converts them into big scores.Anyways laxman needs to go after australian series and dravid after lanka series,Sachin can play for two more years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
May be. But there is nothing to be gained from persisting with aging cricketers.
The problem with India is that over 3 years after Ganguly's retirement, the "who should be batting at 6" question is nowhere near being answered. You ditch the oldies, and at the age they're at it's likely to be final. So what do you do in a year's time if the likes of Rahane, Rohit and Kohli continue on the same lines as the likes of Yuvraj and Raina?

Shri

Mr. Glass
The problem with India is that over 3 years after Ganguly's retirement, the "who should be batting at 6" question is nowhere near being answered. You ditch the oldies, and at the age they're at it's likely to be final. So what do you do in a year's time if the likes of Rahane, Rohit and Kohli continue on the same lines as the likes of Yuvraj and Raina?
Dropping another aging player to bring in another youngster will ease the pressure on both the new comers when they are not fighting for one spot in the XI. Might actually turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it is time that Laxman hangs up his boots which should be the cue for Dravid as well.

Tendy is (probably) the biggest cricketing icon in Indian cricket history so he should be allowed to take as much time as he wants (it also helps that he is still superb at this age). The youngsters will learn from his experience as well

dfx-

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't see why there's such a rush to replace bowlers, they've had a chance to defend 300 once in two away series or something?

Not even 11 bowlers of Steyn Morkel Anderson Tremlett Warne Swann Aamer Zaheer Kallis Siddle and Ajmal could be expected to defend the likes of 161 and 191 consistently.

The batting backbone is non-existent. VVS just disappeared after Tendulkar went and now after Kohli went. Ashwin and Ishant have at least shown some resilience with the bat even if it was fleeting or as a nightwatchman.

Daemon

I don't see why there's such a rush to replace bowlers, they've had a chance to defend 300 once in two away series or something?

Not even 11 bowlers of Steyn Morkel Anderson Tremlett Warne Swann Aamer Zaheer Kallis Siddle and Ajmal could be expected to defend the likes of 161 and 191 consistently.

The batting backbone is non-existent. VVS just disappeared after Tendulkar went and now after Kohli went. Ashwin and Ishant have at least shown some resilience with the bat even if it was fleeting or as a nightwatchman.
No ones said anything much about replacing bowlers, but how can you not bring Praveen back once he's fit?

flibbertyjibber

The thing is those bowlers would probably score more than 161 and 191 when they batted and give themselves a chance.:ph34r:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The whole thing is a mess and i see a long, dark road ahead for India to be honest, the batting order is pretty much finished, the major problem is the younger guys coming up don't even have half the talent that the current lot have, Dhoni's captaincy has also been exposed here which is sad to see because he's a decent guy,

The bowling unit is also looking powderpuff now despite the promising start it made in the first test, Yadav needs more experience, Sharma has regressed, Ashwin isn't the "magician" people thought he was and Khan is coming to the end, and boy that's gonna be another major gap for India to fill aswell,

The only saving grace for India is they aren't the only team who's gonna suffer, the Aussies are gonna lose Ponting, Hussey and Haddin soon and still don't have a decent spinner, Sri-lanka have an old batting order aswell, so India won't be the only team falling down the rankings over the next year or so.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
India should consider batting Sehwag at 6 for overseas tests, where I feel he could do more damage, and maybe they could bring in Rahane as an opener for the next test, if Kohli fails in the second innings.

In the longer term India shouldnt consider dropping any of the big 5 until the number 6 position has been nailed down. I completely disagree with dropping VVS for a youngster, because Kohli himself has not made the number 6 position his own, so what's the point in bringing in another youngster?

I think Gambhir is a class player overall and can be good for India for another 5-6 years at least. Sure his technique is not perfect and he's had problems with the moving ball against a good attack, but who doesnt. Also its not so long ago that he was scoring heavily and he even handled himself well in South Africa, so I'd keep him in the side. Sehwag is not as old as the others and should be part of long term plans.

As for Sachin, Dravid and VVS in my view their careers should end naturally, and India should adjust to that. They are unlikely to all go at exactly the same time, and I don't feel as desperate as others to speed up that process. I expect Dravid to retire first and then another youngster can slot in and secure his position. In this way I dont expect the whole batting line up to suddenly be filled with inexperienced players.

Woodster

International Captain
Kohli has looked pretty good in the last couple of knocks I've seen him play. He seems a natural successor when the more experienced players finish so don't think there's much to be gained from leaving him out. Let him get a number of Tests under his belt before Dravid, Sachin, etc, finish their Test careers.

Burgey

Batting isn't your problem IMHO. There's 1.2 billion people there ffs, you'll find and develop batsmen, they're a dime a dozen. It's the bowling that's the problem really.

Would I be guessing right in saying Sharma is the fastest long-term test bowler India has produced? He's the quickest I can recall anyway. It's no coincidence India's rise to number one coincided with a lot of home tests, but more importantly with Zaheer becoming a very good test bowler in all conditions. That was really the difference I think.

If you want to win everywhere you need bowlers who can perform at worst serviceably in most, if not all conditions. Until India have that, they'll be struggling to broach top spot again.

Last edited:

Burgey

Kohli has looked pretty good in the last couple of knocks I've seen him play. He seems a natural successor when the more experienced players finish so don't think there's much to be gained from leaving him out. Let him get a number of Tests under his belt before Dravid, Sachin, etc, finish their Test careers.
I agree with this. For all the **** he rightly cops on here, I think he will succeed at test level, pending his mentality proving good enough.

Spikey

May be. But there is nothing to be gained from persisting with aging cricketers.
It's never fun to look a legend in the eye and say you're dropping him. 2 years of tests at home means a higher chance of letting Dravid and Laxman go out on their own, positive terms.