• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mervyn Westfield Is A ****

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why should they? Westfield got less but he failed to reach his set limits.

Butt and Asif are far more corrupt and IMO have still gotten off lightly from the whole thing.
"Set limits" - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Asif bowled one no-ball by a fraction of a millimetre

Amir bowled 2 (albeit by more)

Westfield fixed a whole friggin' match

Forget Asif, whatever Amir got, Westfield should've received many, many times the sentence

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One over he was meant to go for 12 in and he went for 10, hence not doing what he was meant to and definitely not fixing a whole match.

The Pakistani's were paid to bowl no balls at set points in the game and then did so, which is IMO worse. Personally think life bans and time inside was the right call for all of them, can bet your bottom dollar Westfield will get a life ban.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't care about the ban because all of them deserve life bans. What I care about is the jail sentence. We have had this argument a thousand times so I'm just going to repeat it for the last time. I think it's wrong and cruel for someone to be separated from his family for something trivial. The only people who lost out were NOTW and they parted with their cash willingly in order to entrap (not to mention that they are scum). No bets were placed, so no one else lost cash. They should have just been fined and deported.

Westfield should also be only fined. Jail is for people who are a danger to society not for someone like Westfield who was coerced into the whole thing. However in his case, a bet was placed and people were defrauded (not that I care too much about bookies and spot-betters). The punishment should be at least be consistent.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
"Set limits" - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Asif bowled one no-ball by a fraction of a millimetre

Amir bowled 2 (albeit by more)

Westfield fixed a whole friggin' match

Forget Asif, whatever Amir got, Westfield should've received many, many times the sentence
1. He didn't "fix a whole friggin' match", he tried to fix one over (and failed)

2. If you're trying to rank crimes by reference to their cricketing significance, two no-balls at an important stage of a Lord's Test is a lot worse than leaking a few runs during one over of a domestic Pro 40 pyjama match

But I agree, it shows the entire English justice system is rotten to the core. It's that same old familiar bias in favour of young black African-Caribbean males coming to the surface yet again

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does it matter whether it's a Test match or List A cricket. In the eyes of the court, both are crimes.
I was responding to Social's claim that one (as he understood it) fixed a match, the other only a couple of no-balls, which is an argument based on the significance of the acts from a cricketing point of view.

I'm not quite decided whether cricketing significance is something the Court should take into account in sentencing - I'm leaning towards thinking it is, but I'm not sure - but even if it is, Social was wildly wrong, to the point where I think he might actually not be being serious

fredfertang

I think cricketing significance is relevant, albeit indirectly, as there are potentially many more victims (suckers) in a big game.

Extraordinary result for Westfield - he must be delighted - and I don't think the CPS can reference (appeal) it either

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I was responding to Social's claim that one (as he understood it) fixed a match, the other only a couple of no-balls, which is an argument based on the significance of the acts from a cricketing point of view.

I'm not quite decided whether cricketing significance is something the Court should take into account in sentencing - I'm leaning towards thinking it is, but I'm not sure - but even if it is, Social was wildly wrong, to the point where I think he might actually not be being serious
Were you being sarcastic about the racial stuff?

fredfertang

Pakistan bowler Kaneria accused in fixing plot | News Talk 650 CKOM

@ Fred and Zaremba:

The Judge sentencing Westfield was pretty scathing towards Kaneria, and accused him of involvement. Can a judge actually go around doing that when the person has been cleared by the authorities and without a trial? Seems pretty wrong to me.
From what I can see Kaneria is either brighter or more cunning than Westfield or both, in that there doesn't seem to have been any admissible evidence against him, which is certainly not the same as him being "cleared"

.... but yes I think the Judge's comments were unusual, and doubtless indicative of what the inadmissible evidence indicated

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Were you being sarcastic about the racial stuff?
Yep - if this was a young black man getting an unduly lenient sentence in an English court, it would be a first*

* Except those that had fred acting for them, which counts as an unfair advantage tbf

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yep - if this was a young black man getting an unduly lenient sentence in an English court, it would be a first*

* Except those that had fred acting for them, which counts as an unfair advantage tbf
Yeah, that's what I thought, because I know that since you are a lawyer you wouldn't have been serious. :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
One over he was meant to go for 12 in and he went for 10, hence not doing what he was meant to and definitely not fixing a whole match.

The Pakistani's were paid to bowl no balls at set points in the game and then did so, which is IMO worse. Personally think life bans and time inside was the right call for all of them, can bet your bottom dollar Westfield will get a life ban.
Why?

1. He didn't "fix a whole friggin' match", he tried to fix one over (and failed)
AFAIC the fact that he failed should be irrelevant.