• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mervyn Westfield Is A ****

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, should be a longer ban than the three Pakistan bowlers given this was matchfixing as opposed to spotfixing

That being said, I felt spotfixing should carry a life ban as well, but regardless of that there is no need for them to be consistent as it is not the same offence.
All 4 players should be serving life bans.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Maybe I'm a bit one-eyed on this issue, but I can't see why this incident should result in jail time or anything less than a life ban. Cricket should be able to sort its own dirty laundry without bringing the justice system in, and it needs to protect itself from suspicion in the future. Why let a match/spot-fixer back into the game ever?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looking at his stats, it probably wasn't hard for him to bowl crap.
Maybe he did it every time. :p

Does seem odd for someone who's career would be on such a knife-edge whenever he played to do something like this though. Must've been paid a fair amount or he could've, in theory anyway, earned that amount of money by performing and keeping his pro cricket career alive.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe I'm a bit one-eyed on this issue, but I can't see why this incident should result in jail time or anything less than a life ban. Cricket should be able to sort its own dirty laundry without bringing the justice system in, and it needs to protect itself from suspicion in the future. Why let a match/spot-fixer back into the game ever?
The 2 punishments are separate though, he's clearly committed an offence under English law so needs to be punished accordingly. Bit like assault on a football field, should someone be allowed to get away with that just because the FA bans the player (Duncan Ferguson for example)

Should definitely be a life ban, as the 3 Pakistanis should've been.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard DJ Edwards @Cricketer_RDJ

Westfield said it was for a spot fix and said it was set up by their Essex teammate DANISH KANERIA

BOOM

Spikey

mods change thread title to Westfield and DANISH KANERIA are ****s plz

Westfield claimed in police interview he was approached by Indian or Pakistani man, but he turned down his request to spot fix

In police interview, Westfield denied accepting money and said no approach came from Danish Kaneria. But he said he was approached to fix

Kaneria said he had a 'friend' who would pay him to concede 12 runs in an over. Westfield received £6,000

Spikey

BREAKING Court hears that ICC warned Danish Kaneria in 2008 over his connections with a suspicious bookmaker called Arun Bhatia

oh sh-