• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paper finds Waugh, Ponting the "best" ever captains

Spark

Global Moderator
So I was browsing arXiv, looking at recent uploads (as I do) when I stumbled upon this: "Identifying the greatest team and captain - A complex network approach to cricket matches"

We consider all Test matches played between 1877 and 2010 and One Day International (ODI) matches played between 1971 and 2010. We form directed and weighted networks of teams and also of their captains. The success of a team (or captain) is determined by the 'quality' of wins and not on the number of wins alone. We apply the diffusion based PageRank algorithm on the networks to access the importance of wins and rank the teams and captains respectively. Our analysis identifies {\it Australia} as the best team in both forms of cricket $-$ Test and ODI. {\it Steve Waugh} is identified as the best captain in Test cricket and {\it Ricky Ponting} is the best captain in the ODI format. We also compare our ranking scheme with the existing ranking schemes which include the Reliance ICC Ranking. Our method does not depend on `external' criteria in ranking of teams (captains). The purpose of this paper is to introduce a revised ranking of cricket teams and to quantify the success of the captains.
It's 1am and I'm currently lying in bed with a laptop so I can't exactly read the paper thoroughly, but the historical rankings are:

Tests:
Australia
South Africa
England
West Indies
Pakistan
India
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh
ODIs
Australia
South Africa
West Indies
England
Pakistan
India
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh
And for Test captains:
Steve Waugh
Graeme Smith
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Richie Benaud
Clive Lloyd
Ian Chappel
Allan Border
M. S. Dhoni
Nasser Hussain
Peter May
Bill Woodfull
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Frank Worell
Sourav Ganguly
Kim Hughes
Ray Illingworth
Geoff Howarth
Andrew Strauss
Stephen Fleming
ODI captains:
Ricky Ponting
Graeme Smith
Imran Khan
Hansie Cronje
Arjuna Ranatunga
Stephen Fleming
Clive Lloyd
M. S. Dhoni
Sir Vivian Richards
Kapil Dev
Allan Border
Mahela Jayawardene
Brian Lara
Daniel Vettori
Paul Collingwood
Sourav Ganguly
Mohammad Azharuddin
Rahul Dravid
Javed Miandad
Wasim Akram
There's also an era-by-era list of rankings which I cbf copying. Again, not sure of the methodology, seems to be some version of Google's PageRank. And obviously this is brand new on arXiv and as such might not yet be published anywhere, but interesting nonetheless

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh, and what this has to do with physics (which is what arXiv is for), I have no ****ing clue.

smash84

The Tiger King
should Pakistan be number 5 in tests in terms of historical ranking?

WI has now been **** for almost a decade and a half

smash84

The Tiger King
:laugh:

Ikki missing in action for quite some time now.

Should have been here during the Ind-Aus series

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, it should be Imran. Because he led his team to test... Oh

Because unlike the others he won a WC. Oh.

He left his team unified and on the rise, unlike any other captain ever... Oh

Under his tutelage Pakistan won everywh..... Hmmm

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponting being so high makes me extremely dubious about the formulae used. Until the very arse-end of his reign I doubt Australia ever went into a series as second favourites, with the possible exception of India away, which Gilchrist wore the armband for in any event.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, it should be Imran. Because he led his team to test... Oh

Because unlike the others he won a WC. Oh.

He left his team unified and on the rise, unlike any other captain ever... Oh

Under his tutelage Pakistan won everywh..... Hmmm
Outstanding work sir.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
There seems as well to be a strong bias toward "modern" era (post-1970) captains in the Test list - I'm wondering why old timers with statistically excellent captaincy records such as Armstrong, Jardine, Bradman and Hasset have missed out. Perhaps there is a cut off minimum number of Tests as captain?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha just looked at the Test list again - KIM HUGHES????? Lolz and so on...

For the uninitiated, this is Kim Hughes' record as Australian Test captain:

Played 28 - Won 4, Drew 11, Lost 13.

L Trumper

State Regular
Ponting being so high makes me extremely dubious about the formulae used. Until the very arse-end of his reign I doubt Australia ever went into a series as second favourites, with the possible exception of India away, which Gilchrist wore the armband for in any event.
Nah! he was gun in ODI captaincy, where his style works very well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha ha just looked at the Test list again - KIM HUGHES????? Lolz and so on...

For the uninitiated, this is Kim Hughes' record as Australian Test captain:

Played 28 - Won 4, Drew 11, Lost 13.
Haha yes, I saw that. A very, very odd inclusion.