Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

Hussey and Symonds should've been picked for 2005 Ashes tour. Hussey would've fit in and had a bigger, better record had he been in a lot earlier.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Symonds? Ew.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    lol Symonds and test cricket.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

rza
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    See but what you've done there is come to a conclusion based on what you see with your own eyes then find stats to back it up. Which is fine, but that's my point - you're not relying on stats to come up with the conclusion, you're actually relying on people watching cricket.
    Don't get me wrong, stats are amazingly useful and I'll happily pull up statsguru filters to make a specific point, but you have to be very aware of the limitations of what you're trying to say and more importantly what your stat doesn't say.
    This is my main issue. Did you see Sobers? If not, then what is it that makes you rate him higher than Kallis since all you have is stats, and video clips with a camera 50 meters away from the wicket?

Symonds? Ew.
    I'm pretty sure Crazy Sam was put on this earth just to counter balance my Symonds views tbf, and he should probably be taken about as seriously as I am on the matter.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by rza View Post
    This is my main issue. Did you see Sobers? If not, then what is it that makes you rate him higher than Kallis since all you have is stats, and video clips with a camera 50 meters away from the wicket?
    Well, that's when you go and start reading books and doing research.

rza
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Donald is rated higher than Steyn because he maintained an extremely similar standard of performance over a longer period. Rightly so too; ten years of Donald is worth more than six years or Steyn. I reckon Steyn will be rated the better bowler by the time he retires.
    That's a good point, and I accept that. But if we compare where Steyn is now, and where Donald was at the same stage, then shouldn't that tell us that Steyn is up there with Donald, therefore should be ranked as high?

Is longevity the reason why Tendulkar is rated so high by almost everybody?

rza
    A lot of it is bashing weak county attacks tbf. How much I'm not sure.
    To be fair, there are weak attacks in every era, and Pollock certainly had weak attacks as well. The point is that had Hussey retired at the same point then he would have achieved similar stats, if not better. So what is it that separates Pollock from Hussey?

There's actually a fair bit of quality footage of Sobers. Here's one gem from robelinda Sir Gary Sobers 254 vs Australia 1971/72 - YouTube.

That's a good point, and I accept that. But if we compare where Steyn is now, and where Donald was at the same stage, then shouldn't that tell us that Steyn is up there with Donald, therefore should be ranked as high?
    Nah, because that's just assuming that their careers have the same rate of progression, and players develop at all sorts of weird and wonderful rates. When comparing Donald to Steyn you pretty much have to pretend that Steyn retired yesterday ... which is why it's a fairly pointless exercise until he actually calls it a day.

Is longevity the reason why Tendulkar is rated so high by almost everybody?
    Certainly is by me. To have such an awesome batsman play for so long is invaluable to a team. I don't think actually think the quality of his batsmanship in mean terms is much if at all better than the likes of Ponting or Kallis but that he's been able to give his team that sort of high quality for longer than the others is what puts him ahead in my books.

Certainly is by me. To have such an awesome batsman play for so long is invaluable to a team. I don't think actually think the quality of his batsmanship in mean terms is much if at all better than the likes of Ponting or Kallis but that he's been able to give his team that sort of high quality for longer than the others is what puts him ahead in my books.
    Yeah agreed with this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Tendulkar's also made a ****load of runs ftr.

Never mind the average.

rza
    Well, that's when you go and start reading books and doing research.
    Books written by whom? If you ask a person who played in the 70s what their best bowler/batsman is they will give you a person they played in the same era with, the same with guys who played in other eras. For instances, Lara, Kallis, Ponting and possibly Tendulkar will tell you that Wasim was the best bowler of all time in their minds. And that's because they played in the same era as him. Guys like Gavaskar, Border, Boycott, etc will tell you of the West Indian bowlers or Lille/Hadlee, because that's what they played against. So we are still not moving forward. So do you now choose to believe a group of Gavaskar/Border/Boycott or Kallis/Lara/Ponting/Tendulkar? Today's batsmen are probably gonna choose Steyn/Anderson, etc as their best bowler of all time, so we are not winning?

How highly do you rate Courtney Walsh? 519 wickets in a career spanning 18 years for a quick, is amazing. He doesn't get all the credit that he deserves.

I'm pretty sure Crazy Sam was put on this earth just to counter balance my Symonds views tbf, and he should probably be taken about as seriously as I am on the matter.
    You can't deny the man has class.

*GOLD* ****IN BASTARD...ANDREW SYMONDS CALLS MAHELA JAYAWARDENA A '****IN BASTARD'... - YouTube

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information