• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

uvelocity

International Coach
The *only* time Kallis scored a ton and SA beat Australia he was the 3rd highest scorer on his team, and was outscored by Mitchell Johnson.

Kallis has *never* taken more than 3 wickets in an Innings vs Aus.

To be great, you need to beat the greats.

Ponting has played the largest part in a number of victories against SA.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SA aren't great though hey.

Anyway I think Ponting is better than Kallis, but if Kallis is being judged on his record against Australia, then what do we judge Ponting on?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Anyway I think Ponting is better than Kallis, but if Kallis is being judged on his record against Australia, then what do we judge Ponting on?
Averages 50 in tests and 52 in ODI's against ICC World XI itbt....

uvelocity

International Coach
well you'll notice I lead with "part of"

You can't just cherry pick like I did and summarise an entire career. I'm sure it's been said but for me Ponting is the better game winner and better batsman. Considering Kallis has 2 strings to his bow, they have to be pretty close for me as cricketers though.

Burgey

He gets judged on his record in India every day here.

Bizarrely it's the only place he seems to have improved in recent years.

Edit: India, not CW.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I just don't rate Ponting as high as a few people here but I never really rated Kallis as being in the same tier as him.

For recent batsman I had traditionally considered it to go:

1 (All-time great): Tendulkar, Lara
2 (Almost all-time great): Ponting, Sanga, Dravid, Waugh
3 (Great but not all-time great): Kallis, Jayawardene, Hayden, MoYo, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Pietersen

But lately I think I've been overall a bit harsh on Kallis and that he might be a better bat than Ponting. Both are very effective run scorers in very different ways and I hated Kallis for the way he played the game. Still hate him. But hate Ponting too. WAC

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
How many career runs do we think Kallis will up end with? There's thirty test matches for South Africa between now and the 2015 world cup. He'll most likely start to selectively choose the games he plays when he starts to get older but he doesn't strike me as a guy who will lose form to the extent of a Ponting.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I said that years ago, around 2007. Said Kallis is the type of player who will not go into form ruts and was a bigger threat to Sachin's careet test runs record than Ponting.

Ruckus

International Captain
For recent batsman I had traditionally considered it to go:

1 (All-time great): Tendulkar, Lara
2 (Almost all-time great): Ponting, Sanga, Dravid, Waugh
3 (Great but not all-time great): Kallis, Jayawardene, Hayden, MoYo, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Pietersen
I reckon it should be something like:

Top tier

Class 1: Tendulkar, Lara
Class 2: Ponting
Class 3: Kallis, Sanga, Dravid, Waugh etc.

Second tier

Hayden, MoYo, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Pietersen etc.

Nobody in the second tier should be called an ATG imo, but anyone in the top tier could be called that depending on peoples own point of views. Actual differences between Class 1 and 2, and Class 2 and 3 are small and subject to debate as well. Someone like Waugh could easily be put in Class 2 imo.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
why do you say that?

The only place where Sanga probably has not done that well is SA/Eng I think
Averages around 35 or less in India, SA, Eng and WI. Ponting only averages less than 40 in India (and Zimbabwe if you want to include that!).

Burgey

I reckon it should be something like:

Top tier

Class 1: Tendulkar, Lara
Class 2: Ponting
Class 3: Kallis, Sanga, Dravid, Waugh etc.

Second tier

Hayden, MoYo, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Pietersen etc.

Nobody in the second tier should be called an ATG imo, but anyone in the top tier could be called that depending on peoples own point of views. Actual differences between Class 1 and 2, and Class 2 and 3 are small and subject to debate as well. Someone like Waugh could easily be put in Class 2 imo.
I think you're pitching your top tier one name too low.

Edit: behold the Bradman action figure* :ph34r:

*with added AK47

Last edited: