• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tripple Threats

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Players that were Great, or very good in multiple disiplines and as such were in-valuable to their respective teams. Some of them would not have met the requisites to be called genuine All-Rounders, but still contributed in various ways. Greats such as Hammond and Greg Chappell, were great batsmen and slip fielders, and very good part time bowlers. Others like Imran, Lloyd and Worrell added their captaincy to their other talents.

Straight Drive

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dhoni is a triple threat to India:

Dire Captaincy
Terrible Batsmen
Poor Wicket keeper

A handy combo for the opposition.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
They have been various combinations, and the players should be great at at least two of the disiplins.
Bat, Bowl, Captaincy:
Imran Khan, Frank Worrell, Richie Benaud, Steve Waugh, Kapil Dev,
Bat, Bowl, Slip Fielder:
Gary Sobers, Ian Botham, Jacques Kallis, Wally Hammond, Greg Chappell, Shane Warne?, Viv Richards?
Bat, Captaincy, Slip
Clive Lloyd, Mark Taylor, Stehen Flemming, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardeane

Dont know if I left anyone out, let me know.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Depends what your definition of great is really, same as ranking players as great in 2 disciplines. Would certainly debate some of your choices as greats with the bat.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends what your definition of great is really, same as ranking players as great in 2 disciplines. Would certainly debate some of your choices as greats with the bat.
Which ones in particular, was really skirting on the definition of great, would gladly make any adjustments. Looking forward to your suggestions.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Removed Tony Greig, and the first three players in the bottom row were rated as great captains and slip fielders, not so much as batsmen, especially Taylor and Flemming. Only players who were great at all three of their skills were possibly Botham at his peak, LLoyd and Ponting, unless anyone considered Lara to be a great captain.

Last edited:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Interesting question. A few of my picks

Monty Noble - bowling, batting and captaincy

Stanley Jackson - batting, captaincy and bowling

Eddie Barlow - batting, bowling and captaincy

Frank Woolley - batting, bowling and slips fielding

smash84

The Tiger King
Dhoni is a triple threat to India:

Dire Captaincy
Terrible Batsmen
Poor Wicket keeper

A handy combo for the opposition.
:laugh:

Khatmal falls in the same category too. He was more of a double threat. I do think he was Vice captain at some point in his career wasn't he?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What's wrong with Inzy? Just because his English wasn't any good.
Haha Inzamam's interviews were super-funny. I always waited for his post-match interviews after India-Pakistan matches. His interviews went something like this:

'yes bad batting ok bowling india good batsmen so play well next match pakistan do well inshallah'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which ones in particular, was really skirting on the definition of great, would gladly make any adjustments. Looking forward to your suggestions.
Just from the first list it is definitely stretching it to call any of Imran, Benaud or Kapil great batsmen, and Waugh or Worrell a great bowler.

I think you'd struggle to find any player in history that would make such a triple threat as it is too much of a stretch to be great in more than one discipline really.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Benaud and Kapil were included as great bowlers and captains, likewise Waugh and Worrell were listed as great batsmen and captains.
I did say great in two catergories only.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
WG Grace (quadraple threat)

1. ATG batsman
2. Great bowler
3. Potential match fixer / spot fixer
4. Intimidates the umpires