• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Acceptable economy rates in FC cricket

hourn

U19 Cricketer
In longer form of cricket, RPO is the third prioirity a long way after average and wickets taken.

I'd rather see someone get 5/120 of 25 overs than 2/65 of 25.

In the short term though it is obviousbly a different story.

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I don't think Economy Rate is that good a thing to base on in FC Cricket - you need 20 wickets to win a game, not 20 overs delivered for 30 runs.

Also, by that definition Mushtaq Ahmed had an unacceptable 2003 County season!
100 wickets and it was unacceptable i find that you talk rubbish Marc

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
Suggest that you find a dictionary and look up "context".

And read the rest of the thread.

And see Marc's views on SR vs ER for, erm, well, two years?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
I'm referring to the fact that he conceded more than 3 an over, so is considered unacceptable in some quarters.

Imagine what his eco would be if he tossed it up....

Craig

World Traveller
That depends on his accuracy and how he controlled and how good the batsmen where. If you flight the ball you can be more accurate, or it can go haywire. Just like bowling it flat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with a lot of this thread, everyone has got the points somewhere or other - under 3-an-over is the rate any decent bowler should be aiming for in FC-cricket of any kind; economy in FC-games comes second to wicket-taking and even if you go for 4.5-an-over it's not of massive importance if you take 6 for 90 from 20.
Mushtaq Ahmed in 2003 should have been a little disappointed to be as expensive as he was, but not too disappointed because he took 100 wickets. For me, though, Mushtaq is a much, much better bowler when he's being economical than when he's going for a few. For most bowlers that's the case, but for Mushie it's especially so IMO.
Regarding Ntini, however, I think many English people who don't watch enough World cricket will have got the wrong impression. Ntini is not a wayward bowler who will always take wickets - he's in fact the exact opposite. Ntini for the last 2 or 3 years has been one of the most accurate bowlers going around, and he just had a bad tour of England - NatWest and Npower Test Series', even if he got 10 wickets at "England-batsman-hook-a-holic" Lord's. In Pakistan he was back to his normal self.
Some people have tried to use Craig's words "acceptible economy-rate" as him meaning bowlers going at over 3-an-over can't be that good. I really struggle to believe that people can be this desperate to discredit a name.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
It's not just Craig either, it's universally accepted that going for only 3 an over is very good, under that is outstanding.
Harmison's ER in tests currently stands at 2.91:P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How can it be when it's simply calculated by dividing one number by another, both of which are facts?

Maybe it's a flaw in your theory?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Some more anomalies:

R Clarke 2.06
A Flintoff 2.62
AF Giles 2.66
RL Johnson 2.87
RJ Kirtley 2.62
GP Thorpe 1.60
ME Trescothick 2.60

CE Cuffy 2.57
CH Gayle 2.42
WW Hinds 2.98
CL Hooper 2.45
M Nagamootoo 2.55
DB Powell 2.75
D Ramnarine 2.42
BC Lara 2.80

SM Katich 2.74
DS Lehmann 2.26
DR Martyn 2.87
RT Ponting 2.58
SR Waugh 2.64

L Balaji 2.73
SB Bangar 2.70
R Dravid 1.95
W Jaffer 1.63
VVS Laxman 2.38

Abdul Razzaq 2.86
Mohammad Hafeez 1.79
Shahid Afridi 2.97

RP Arnold 2.66
PA de Silva 2.79
HDPK Dharmasena 2.47
KHRK Fernando 2.76
ST Jayasuriya 2.52
HP Tillakaratne 2.05
DNT Zoysa 2.85

Enamul Haque 2.76
Mohammad Rafique 2.55
Rajin Saleh 2.90

N Bojé 2.60
AC Dawson 2.78
CH Henderson 2.83
G Kirsten 2.51
L Klusener 2.62
RJ Peterson 2.33
CM Willoughby 2.50

GB Brent 2.30
ADR Campbell 2.54
GW Flower 2.73
GJ Whittall 2.67

NJ Astle 2.21
CZ Harris 2.74
MJ Horne 2.36
JDP Oram 2.66
MH Richardson 1.70
PJ Wiseman 2.99

Fifty-five anomalies?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I regard some of these as good, accurate bowlers and some as not so.
Sometimes statistics will back-up my view, sometimes not. If not I'll amend my view when I feel appropriate and anyone who does not is a darned fool.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Just demonstrating 'black' and 'white' are merely shades of grey (contextually speaking)
Hey that's not context...that's more like convex:D

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
How can it be when it's simply calculated by dividing one number by another, both of which are facts?

Maybe it's a flaw in your theory?
[/QUOTE

lol.

I was being sarcastic and it was very tongue-in-cheek.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
deeps said:
Brett Lee used to b the same..although now he's much more economical
Brett Lee 1999-2000
7 Tests - 42 Wickets - Ave 16.07 - Econ 2.95 - SR 32.69

Brett Lee 2001-2003
28 Tests - 89 Wickets - Ave 36.52 - Econ 3.61 - SR 60.70

Much more economical, now?

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Economy rate in tests means very little

An opening bowler could bowl wide of off stump repeatedly and the batsman be content to leave him, which may lead to a good ER, but does not constitute good bowling, or accurate bowling for that matter.