• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia cricketers ability to come back as better players

Xuhaib

International Coach
Has to be the best in the world.

Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Katich and even Clarke were all dropped they worked on their game and made strong comebacks in this series Hilf is another guy whose making a comeback and is already looking excellent. If you look at sub cont cricketers majority of them just stagnate and even when they are dropped they hardly make an effort to work on their game and keep failing in the same manner Sami, Yuvraj, Wasim Jaffar, Imran Farhat, Irfan Pathean and several other are prime examples.

It would not surprise me if Johnson and Steve Smith come back as Wasim and Warne reincarnated.

Spark

Global Moderator
Add Ponting to that list too.

Johnson, nah. Wrong age, probably blacklisted, far too many things wrong with him etc. etc. Smith is very much a possibility, though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely..no doubt about that..I think mainly the standard of first class cricket which is so high..it forces you to keep developing your skills, keep working on your fitness because someone else will take your place otherwise.

People like Langer and Hayden made their comebacks in the late 90s..and I remember everyone was wondering how come they never played before...I think now we can understand that it was because they were not that good, they got dropped and improved tremendously as players.

I don't see the same intensity and ambition in many Pakistani players unfortunately..including the established great ones like Inzy and Yousuf..they just seem to lack that strong sense of ambition that drives a Ponting to force his way into the team despite everyone calling for his head.

Also these days the younger sub continental players don't seem to take Test Cricket very seriously.. Umar Akmal stills talks about playing his 'natural' game as if he was averaging 55. I don't see that strong determination and drive to improve your skills and be considered a great test player.. I saw a little bit of that in Junaid Khan..which is why I really am excited about him..hope he carries one..

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah standards of first class cricket in the country is possibly the main reason, another country whose pretty good at it is South Africa but none is better then Aussies imo.

Flem274*

123/5
England's march to number one has been built on the shoulders of several comebacks by senior players, including their number one bowler James Anderson.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the blackmail threats are to be believed, Craig McDermott's ability to come is also legendary.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England's march to number one has been built on the shoulders of several comebacks by senior players, including their number one bowler James Anderson.
Awta. Bell, Anderson, Tremlett and Prior have all experienced time out the side within the last few years, but all have come back much stronger and now are some of the best players in the world.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty good in the long term for young players to be introduced into test cricket early then dropped imo.

Test cricket highlights flaws in a player's game quicker than what would occur in first class cricket. Streamlines development, if you will.

Xuhaib

International Coach
don't think Tremlett was axed for poor performances just fell out of favor. Anderson and Bell have always remained part of the squad most of their improvement have come while staying in the team. Anderson had his superlative run 2010 onwards but has been a regular fixture since 2007.

smash84

The Tiger King
Do not underestimate Imran Farhat's ability to make a come back :ph34r:

Seriously though. How many times has Farhat come and gone and still not improved? Another example of nepotism i.e. Faisal Iqbal too falls in the same category

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
True, Bell and Anderson's rise has been phenomenal.

I remember at the start of the Ashes last year Jonathan Agnew was saying how Ian Bell is the most improved player in the world and he is desperate to prove his credentials against an Australian team in Australia..

Once again its their strong desire to excel which drives them.. I find that lacking in a lot of the younger subcontinental players.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
don't think Tremlett was axed for poor performances just fell out of favor. Anderson and Bell have always remained part of the squad most of their improvement have come while staying in the team. Anderson had his superlative run 2010 onwards but has been a regular fixture since 2007.
Tremlett was just unlucky...got injured....Broad and Bresnan started taking wickets.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think injury was Tremlett's main problem, tbh. That and he was seen by many as a bit soft.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hughes worked hard on his game and managed to whittle his weakness down to one very specific dismissal. Should be invincible as long as Guptill isn't standing behind him.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
True, Bell and Anderson's rise has been phenomenal.

I remember at the start of the Ashes last year Jonathan Agnew was saying how Ian Bell is the most improved player in the world and he is desperate to prove his credentials against an Australian team in Australia..

Once again its their strong desire to excel which drives them.. I find that lacking in a lot of the younger subcontinental players.
I think Bell's dropping in early 2009 made him mentally stronger. I remember an interview with him then and I was quite impressed. At the Oval test last August Nasser Hussain was showing a clip of Bell in the 2005 Ashes and here (where he scored 235) and the technique was pretty much the same. Hussain claimed all of Bell's improvements were mentally.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone seems to talk only about Guptill..what about Chris Martin whose actually the one bowling well enough for Hughes to nick him,.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hughes worked hard on his game and managed to whittle his weakness down to one very specific dismissal. Should be invincible as long as Guptill isn't standing behind him.
Umm, Australia's tour to South Africa. Nicked off every innings.